Beyond the Wand: The Magic and Mayhem of Growing Up a Wizard

Beyond the Wand: The Magic and Mayhem of Growing Up a Wizard

RRP: £19.75
Price: £9.875
£9.875 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Perfect for longtime fans and new readers alike—a beautiful boxed set of the first six novels in Frank Herbert's Dune Saga. TF: The improvisation of the line "I didn't know you could read" was a very on the day thing. The Voldemort hug — I don't think Ralph [Fiennes] even knew that he was about to hug me. That's why it was so creepy. When his arms are open and, bear in mind, we shot that scene at least 50 times already. I'd already walked past him at least 50 times. And then, that time, when his arms are open, I thought, "There's no bloody way he's trying to hug me. Oh God, he is!" So, that's why I think it was so creepy and so evil [for him to] present a physical sort of affection. I mean, not as much improvising. I know the books were all so rich with characters and content that I'm sure loads of fans out there, like myself, would have wanted. But the truth is the films would have been seven hours long if we put in absolutely everything. So, I think they did a fantastic job fitting in as much as they possibly could. Actor Felton, best known for his portrayal of bleached-blond antagonist Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter films, recounts his career in his charming debut memoir. . .Felton weaves a seamless, sensitive narrative that will enchant Potterheads and fans of celebrity memoirs alike."— Publishers Weekly So, yeah: this one's for Harry Potter fans. Period. It's the hows and whys of child actor Tom, with some fun anecdotes, and then the meat is Harry Potter. Some cute stories, and lots of gushing about his favorite people. For many who were in the fandom or have attended fancons he's done, it's not strictly new, but regardless offers a good time. Nothing salacious here; mostly fluff. one thing i really appreciated was that i actually learned quite a few things. growing up i was the kid who had seen every single extra scene, behind the scenes video, etc, for harry potter, but there were actually things that surprised me in tom's memoir! *minor spoilers* i had no clue he had been to rehab multiple times, or that he had dated jade for so long!!

I love that it was narrated by Tom. I feel it gives his story a little more oomph. It's 6 hours and 36 minutes. I am used to listening at 2-2.5x, but my daughter is not, so we mostly were around 2x. With his accent it is a little difficult to understand him at super speed, so 2x was a sweet spot. As a person who’s not particularly drawn to memoirs nor to the evolution of child stars into adults, I find myself having just finished my THIRD such book this year! I’m sure a therapist would tell me that I’m processing my own childhood through the safe lens of looking at someone else’s. I’m also sure my parents would be pleased that my expensive college education in psychology has served me so well. 😉 Whatever the reason, when I saw that Tom Felton - “Draco” of Harry Potter movie fame - had written a memoir, my curiosity was piqued!Ok, firstly, wanna say that I grew up reading Draco Malfoy fanfiction, he was my favorite character in HP. And yeah, I realized pretty fast that Tom Felton was nothing like Draco Malfoy, but still, I admired him for portraying Draco so well. I just though that Tom was just a chill boring dude from suburbs in England, obsessed with fishing for some reason. But as it became clear after finishing this book, he’s actually self-obsessed and probably even narcissistic d-bag. From Borrower to wizard, Tom Felton's adolescence was anything but ordinary. His early rise to fame saw him catapulted into the limelight aged just twelve when he landed the iconic role of Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter films.

Read this if you were one of those kids like me. It was a wonderful experience, and Tom's narration on the audiobook was perfection. I recommend giving it a listen! it's funny how ultimate lessons are always similar, we grow up knowing them, and yet we look and search and try to conquer the world, until we go full circle to love and friendship and family. I guess we have to go full circle, to understand that the circle is there, and to appreciate the end point within the perspective of the journey.Felton shares so many terrific stories – from his childhood, from his years playing Draco Malfoy on the Harry Potter set, and later, from his battle with depression and substance abuse – and they are all told with refreshing frankness and a dry, acerbic wit. It’s just story after story; laughter followed by more laughter. The] hook of Felton’s memoir is his perspective on living a one-in-a-billion experience. Yet “Beyond the Wand” is most insightful when Felton translates his tale into something more universal. Sure, the “boy who lived” was never Draco’s moniker — but considering his eventful existence, it suits Felton just fine.”— The Washington Post

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop