The Ice Palace (Peter Owen Modern Classics)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The Ice Palace ( Nynorsk: Is-slottet) is a novel by the Norwegian author Tarjei Vesaas, first published in 1963. It has been translated to English by Peter Owen Publishers, London, and was scheduled for reissue with them in Christmas of 2017 in their Cased Classics series. [ citation needed] Vesaas received The Nordic Council's Literature Prize for the novel in 1964. [1] Plot [ edit ] Siss is both puzzled and beguiled; she feels some kind of deep connection with Unn, but does not understand what it means. She is aware, however, that Unn steals the occasional glance in her direction, as if aware of their connection, though she continues to remain detached from Siss and her group of friends. Every day Unn stands alone. She seems to embody, it occurs to Siss, a strangely serene inner strength. The Ice Palace, an American variety television series with an ice skating theme, which aired on CBS for ten weeks in 1971 The ice construction rises above them, enigmatic, powerful, its pinnacles disappearing into the darkness and the winter cloud drift. It seems prepared to stand eternally… There is something secret here. They bring out what sorrows they may have and transfer them to this midnight play of light and suspicion of death… The men are lost in the game at the ice palace. They seem possessed, searching feverishly for something precious that has come to grief, yet involved themselves. They are tired, grave men, giving themselves over as sacrifices to an enchantment, saying: It is here. They stand at the foot of the ice walls with tense faces, ready to break into a song of mourning before the closed, compelling palace.” Parts of the novel are difficult to read, as Vesaas leads his young character down a road of no return, but it is a remarkably powerful evocation of the human condition.

I’m a worthless creature,’ said Auntie shortly afterwards, when they were nearing her house, nearing the end of the evening. She began again: ‘Worthless. The people here have done everything for me during this misfortune, and now I’m going like this when I ought to take my leave properly". When a few dotted lines can cuff my heart into a promise and bind my palms over it in sombre armory, keep me lain in its pristine shadows for hours and yet freeze the time in crystalline imagery, I beam at the prospect: the prospect of living in that promise; that promise which lights up with the chandeliers of frosty realizations hanging from the ceiling of dreams and a sea of incomplete chances freezing my being. Fitzgerald later wrote another short story, "The Jelly-Bean", which was published in the 1922 collection Tales of the Jazz Age. A sequel to "The Ice Palace", it returned to Tarleton with several references to many of the characters in the earlier work.

Fitzgerald’s ‘The Ice Palace’ is, first and foremost, about the differences between the North and the South in the United States, and the differing temperaments of the people who inhabit each. Whereas Sally Carrol’s South is associated with sleepiness, laziness, and warmth, Harry’s North is associated with coldness: both the coldness of the weather and the detached and even hostile attitudes of the locals. In the North, we might say, the coldness is a matter of temperament as well as temperature. Ivan travels by day and tries to sleep in hollowed out snow drifts at night but this when Starjik is at his strongest and again and again tries to stop Ivan from reaching his home The Ice Palace. When Ivan and Starjik do meet face to face there is a show down, old and bitter man against the young and loving boy.

Create character profiles using interesting adjectives (create a new mysterious character who Ivan will meet in the forest) The Ice Palace’ is a short story by the American writer F. Scott Fitzgerald (1896-1940), originally published in the Saturday Evening Post in May 1920. The story is about a southern belle who becomes engaged to a man from the North; however, she almost freezes to death in an ice palace at a winter carnival and this leads her to rethink the engagement. Not only lesbians are broken and mentaly ill, but asexuals too. Auntie is clearly an asexual character- I can tell because it takes one to know one - and the way she is depicted is indicative of Vesaas's worldview. She is the one that urges Siss to forget about Unn: They've found each other, and for each it's both a terrifying discovery and a relief, even as so much has been left unsaid.I say, there is something that Vesaas definitely missed. You see, ice can also be seen as a prism to break white light up into the colours of the rainbow. Is-slottet. - Oslo: Ariel lydbokforl., 1992. - (Ariel's lydbøker) - ISBN 82-7509-022-9 (audio book) Apylinkės plikos ir naujos. Tekančiame vandenyje kyšo uola. Lyg į orą iškeltas kirvis, skaldantis mūsų laiką į akimirkas, kad greičiau pasiektume tikslą. Mūsų ten laukia. Nieko nenutuokiantis paukštukas nuplasnoja prie uolos ir nutupia viržiuose, bet netrukus vėl pakyla ir nebepasirodo.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop