Calm Parents, Happy Kids: The Secrets of Stress-free Parenting

Calm Parents, Happy Kids: The Secrets of Stress-free Parenting

RRP: £14.99
Price: £7.495
£7.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

How many time parents/ caregivers (and I) have said "I wish kids came with a manual", well now you have the manual! Laura Markham has made it possible. Whether you have an an idea of what you are doing and just want reassurance, or you just don't have a clue and wish for the best possible outcome for your children, Laura Markham has it sussed! I have turned into something of a parenting-book junkie since my daughter reached age 15 months and made me feel like I was losing my mind. You know the type...she would hit the dog, I would say no, then she would look me in the eye and punch the dog. Anyway, since then I have read at least 12 parenting books, and this book is definitely in my top 2. My only caveat is that I come from a long line of yellers, and I am doing my best, but sometimes my volume goes up. Dr. Markham teaches to never ever raise your voice, and I'm trying, but that's where my other top 2 book comes in: How To Talk So Kids Will Listen... (Faber and Mazlish). If you absolutely must raise your voice, they describe how to do it without ruining your kids. These books are quite complementary in my mind: Dr. Markham's is the big picture and How to Talk expounds on the details. If you don't read any other parenting books, please read these two. I just wish this one had been published when my daughter was born! In the book, Laura gives many age-appropriate strategies on how you can help your child develop mastery, so definitely grab the book! Action steps for you: Parents need all the help they can get to be the kind of parent they want to be, and to use parenting skills that influence their children to be good citizens

The book makes parenting fun--she encourages laughter, silliness, zaniness and goofiness. It's really the magical ingredient that can many times get lost in day to day living. She has creative ideas to connect with even the smallest opportunity. When it’s your turn to decide what to do, initiate games that build emotional intelligence and bonding (e.g. wrestle, pillow-fight, “bumbling monster”, role-play with stuffed animals, etc.), Force creates resistance. That’s a strong message for all parents. So how shall we react to our child’s inappropriate behaviour? Discipline! (btw, the literal meaning of this word is “to guide”). In a nutshell, it’s all about teaching your child alternative behaviour, rather than just stopping the unwanted behaviour. What’s more interesting is that the text presents a ‘rule’ in the agambenian sense. In Homo Sacer VIII, Agamben identifies monastic rules as a “peculiar literature,” unlike anything else, but finds them to set up regulations wherein the rule and life become indistinguishable, creating a “form of life,” the eidos zoe for the cenobites ( koinos bios, common life). The concept is particularly useful in examining self-help pop psych books which concern sexual and family relationships, persons who share a common life together (and that is probably one way to look at all of these that I am writing about on the same day: this one, Mating in Captivity, I Hate You—Don’t Leave Me, and When Evil is a Pretty Face).Based on the latest research on brain development and extensive clinical experience with parents, Dr. Laura Markham’s approach is as simple as it is effective. Her message: Fostering emotional connection with your child creates real and lasting change. When you have that vital connection, you don’t need to threaten, nag, plead, bribe—or even punish. Post category: Book Notes / Develop coaching mindset / Develop positive discipline skills / Socio-emotional skills / Understand children's behaviour What are your “triggers” – what your child does that makes you feel angry and frustrated? How can you be more mindful of them? If you are looking for a very practical book on positive parenting, Calm Parents, Happy Kids is a great start. Here Dr Laura Markham introduces an approach to parenting that eliminates threats, power struggles and manipulation in favour of setting limits with empathy and communication. Her big idea is that children’s behaviour only changes when their relationship with their parents changes. And this change is possible when we shift our perspective from controlling our children to coaching them. that they are about to become a big brother or sister — and then offers concrete suggestions to help you lay down the foundation for a healthy

Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids is invaluable. But Peaceful Parent, Happy Siblings takes it to the next level and makes it all come alive so vividly. The scriptsDespite the popular idea that we need to 'express' out anger so that it doesn't eat away at us, research shows that expressing anger while we are angry actually makes us more angry." -p. 15 Coaching, not controlling. “What raises great kids is coaching them – to handle their emotions, manage their behaviour, and develop mastery – rather than controlling for immediate compliance.” Any human being rebels against force and control, so trying to force your child into obedience is very short-sighted. By coaching, you teach your child all the necessary skills he needs to grow into a self-directed adult. This book walks parents through sibling scenarios—even ones for very intense children—and breaks down the specifics of how to approach common

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop