Little Disasters: the compelling and thought-provoking new novel from the author of the Sunday Times bestseller Anatomy of a Scandal

£9.9
FREE Shipping

Little Disasters: the compelling and thought-provoking new novel from the author of the Sunday Times bestseller Anatomy of a Scandal

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

If I had known that going into it, I may have had different feelings about the book, but I kept waiting for things to happen that just didn't. Reading Beowulf may not have helped me become a novelist but reading and thinking about writing for three years undoubtedly did.

Consulting with a senior doctor, Liz understands that the hospital must contact Social Services regarding Jess and Betsey. Liz, brilliant pediatrician having another crazy train ride of day during her shift and she meets one of her friend Jess brought her baby to the emergency room. I mistakingly thought from its description it would be a medical mystery, but instead found a grim, gut-wrenching tale of family dysfunction, mainly emphasizing postpartum anxiety and depression. I would try to get an hour or two of sleep if, and if is the operative word, he went down during the day.The upshot is that Jess is suspected of harming her child, and a social worker, Lucy Stone, is assigned to oversee Jess's interactions with Betsey. And Sarah Vaughan brings the dichotomous complexities of the experience into sharp focus in her newest novel, Little Disasters. Now, I’m not maternal at all, unless there are four legs and a tail involved (another reason I didn’t bond with Jess). Trust, blame, truth, lies and acts of deliberate concealment dominate the direction of Little Disasters, which will no doubt polarise readers. A new thought-provoking novel exploring the complexity of motherhood and all that connects and disconnects us.

Jess's weak explanation, paired with the skull fracture, is more than enough to bring in outside intervention. After journalism college and work at The Times, I trained with the Press Association and spent 11 years on The Guardian as a news reporter, health correspondent and political correspondent.I think this would make an incredible book club read, as it could lead to a lot of great discussions involving motherhood, mental health and the societal expectations placed on women. Following multiple perspectives, over multiple timelines, Little Disasters is a thoughtful examination of modern motherhood. And I genuinely appreciate Vaughan’s efforts to increase awareness and understanding of postpartum depression.

That’s when Vaughan, then a correspondent for the Guardian, interviewed a just-fired member of Parliament named Boris Johnson. I'm not a parent but I challenge anyone to read this book without feeling some type of uneasiness regarding the storyline. I understand I can change my preference through my account settings or unsubscribe directly from any marketing communications at any time. Jess has a group of friends including Charlotte, Mel and Liz who formed a friendship during prenatal classes for their first born children. When Jess Curtis brings her crying baby girl to the emergency room, she’s confident everything will be alright.You aren’t told how the birth can leave a permanent scar on both the mind and psyche, how the sleepless nights wear you down, and the constant second-guessing of whether you are doing it right. Almost from the beginning, the plot is obvious - there are so many clues along the way that you can't help but catch on. Thank you to NetGalley, Sarah Vaughan and Atria, for this free digital ARC in exchange for my honest opinion! As a mother, I did feel my support generally stayed with Jess and I didn’t really doubt her, despite the looming questions over her actions.

Sarah Vaughan turns her pin-sharp attentions to the blame game that is early parenthood, raising the stakes to truly fearful levels. Una novela que versa sobre ese otro lado de la maternidad, el del agotamiento, los miedos, el peso de la responsabilidad y la sensación de soledad. Marianna Abbotts (Drama Development Producer) said, “We are delighted to be working with Sarah Vaughan and were completely gripped by this thought provoking and moving novel.She interviewed several pediatricians, a perinatal psychiatrist, an obstetrician, a retired detective, and social workers.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop