What Would the Aunties Say?: A brown girl's guide to being yourself and living your best life

£6.495
FREE Shipping

What Would the Aunties Say?: A brown girl's guide to being yourself and living your best life

RRP: £12.99
Price: £6.495
£6.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

A: Exactly. My sister recently went through postnatal depression, and she was so scared to tell people. We were just like, "No, just actually own it. Tell people that this is what you're going through, and you'll feel so much better." English–Arabic English–Bengali English–Catalan English–Czech English–Danish English–Hindi English–Korean English–Malay English–Marathi English–Russian English–Tamil English–Telugu English–Thai English–Turkish English–Ukrainian English–Vietnamese PS: It's crazy, and with things like that, it really feels like they'll never change. With your influencer career and the creative path that you went down, how did that decision go down with your family? Was it something that you always knew you wanted to do? And then Ludwig was great,” Collins says. “He was like, ‘All right, so if the 4*Town song is in this key, let’s do this—’ He worked with us to make sure that rhythmically, we were doing what we needed to be doing so he could produce the remix. You know, he’s a pop record producer, in addition to being a composer. So he was able to pull the chant into his own system, along with the 4*Town song, and do this awesome remix where we were like, ‘Oh my God, it works!’ But I think it worked because he’s a magician. I’m not sure it worked because we’re magicians.” Shi wanted to make sure a native speaker was involved in developing the chant, so she and her team reached out to Herman Wong, the Hong Kong-based Asian-Pacific operations director for Disney Character Voices International, the Disney division that handles translation and dubbing services. She says she doesn’t remember the exact words of the ritual herself, because it was a translation of a piece Wong helped them find.

What Would the Aunties Say? by Anchal Seda | Waterstones What Would the Aunties Say? by Anchal Seda | Waterstones

A: I just want anyone that's listening to it to be like, "Me too." I want them to listen and be like, "Oh my God, I feel that," or, "I know someone that's gone through that." I want it to be a space for real stories, and I want it to be really, really relatable. I'm not sugarcoating anything. Well, actually, ‘aunty’ and ‘auntie’ are just informal versions of the word ‘aunt’, and so both are okay to use. But if you’re really pedantic, and you absolutely need to know if it’s aunty or auntie… What the dictionaries say about aunty or auntie PS: She must've loved that! You have an episode with Dr Ranjot, all about mental health. Why do you think that South Asians often refuse to seek that kind of help?PS: That's another thing, accepting the fact that there actually might be things that are wrong with us, but this is how we're dealing with it. It's OK to have things wrong with you and be able to fix them. PS: Exactly. Easier said than done though! With podcast as a whole, what's one thing that you hope people will take from it? Viewers tuning in to Pixar’s animated movie Turning Red may wind up wondering exactly what the characters are saying during two key sequences where they begin to chant in Cantonese. In one scene in the animated film, 13-year-old protagonist Mei, who’s started turning into a giant red panda whenever she gets emotional, sits down for a family ritual meant to control her inner panda. Her parents, grandmother, and other family members chant rhythmically to begin that ritual. Later in the film, the chant recurs in a different context. The words aren’t subtitled, even in the various Chinese-language translations of the movie.

What Would the Aunties Say? - Anchal Seda - Google Books What Would the Aunties Say? - Anchal Seda - Google Books

PS: What's your experience with it been like so far? And is it something that you were able to talk to your family about? A: I think it comes down to like that feeling of shame. You're almost labeled as crazy, and I think everybody is just afraid to look bad, and that's really what it comes down to. It's one of the most brave things that you can do, and if you can openly talk to someone and say, "I go to therapy," I think that is way more brave than anything. You should own it, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. It really just comes down to that feeling of shame and the idea of being judged. PS: Do you have any advice for fellow brown girls that are maybe struggling with their identity or have chosen less-traditional career paths?

The next step was making sure the voice cast — including Sandra Oh and Ho-Wai Ching as Mei’s mother and grandmother — were comfortable with the poem and with making it sound like something ancient the family had passed down for centuries. My daughter-in-law doesn't listen", "She's taking him away from the family”, “Live with us beta, and come and learn our families way." These are some of the things the Aunties might say when talking about their daughter-in-law. Dealing with your in-laws can be challenging if you don't have the best relationship. In this episode, I'm joined by psychotherapist Dr. Reenee Singh to discuss how to set boundaries, how to improve in-law relationships, and whether you should live with them after marriage.

AUNT | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary AUNT | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Let him drink, this is what men do", "He’s drinking because of you", "Girls don’t drink” - these are some of the phrases you might hear from a South Asian Auntie on the topic of alcohol. In this episode, we’re discussing alcohol culture, predominantly in the Punjabi culture, whether there is a hidden problem, ways of dealing with alcoholism, and hearing the experiences of my special guest Dipz Danjal and how he was able to turn his life around. What are they saying?” Mei asks Mr. Gao (voiced by James Hong), who’s leading the ritual. He tells her it doesn’t really matter — the ritual just requires participants to sing from the heart. “It doesn’t matter what,” Mr. Gao says. “I like Tony Bennett. But your grandma, she’s from old school.” Join Anchal, Youtuber, Influencer and a real voice for the Brown girls as she navigates the world of ‘Brown girl problems’ with some very special guests each week. Isn’t there a cure?!”, “I hope they get well soon”, “so sorry, she will never have a normal life”, “Your childs illness is paying for your bad karma”. These are some of the things you may hear from a South Asian Auntie when seeing a child or person that may have a disability. This is a huge taboo topic within the culture, and my special guest Manal from @wakeupandmakeup shares the experiences of having a sister with cerebral palsy. We worked with a Cantonese dialect coach, Andy. We loved him,” Shi says. “He worked very closely with with each of the actors and actresses when it came time to record the chant.”

You will never find a husband in this job, be a doctor", "Indian girls never make it in those industries", "You will never make money in a creative job".

What Would the Aunties Say? | Book by Anchal Seda | Official What Would the Aunties Say? | Book by Anchal Seda | Official

A: Own who you are. Don't be ashamed. It's so easy to listen to the people around us, but they can be quite ignorant to what you're doing. They have no clue, and they're going to say, "Oh, no, that's not going to work," or they're going to bring negativity or judgement. Take your time, figuring out whatever you want to do. It's your life, it's your path. We knew it had to be in Cantonese, because the family is Cantonese,” she says. “He helped us translate a poem, a protection chant, with lyrics about watching over this girl, guiding her through her journey. He helped us create this rhyming chant.” Image: Pixar Animation Studios PS: Episode two with Sebinaah touched on it a little, the experience of wearing Indian clothes on nonuniform day and then transitioning to Western clothing and still not feeling quite the same as the other girls. Is that something that you can relate to as well, being an influencer?A: They know about it. It's really funny because my dad is plugging it to them and I'd go in and be like, "They don't need to listen to this. It's for the youngsters!" I haven't offended anyone just yet. They think it's a good thing because even they've gone through similar things — probably even worse, being from an older generation. They may feel some shame, but that's on them and that's personal, but all in all, I think everybody gets it, because they were once a young brown girl, too. At the movie’s climax (spoilers ahead!), the family repeats the chant, this time to bring Mei’s mother’s panda under control after she hurts herself, raging against Mei’s adolescent rebellion. In the climactic final number, the chant winds up merging with Ludwig Göransson’s score and “Nobody Like U,” one of the songs siblings Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell’s wrote for Turning Red’s heartthrob boy band 4*Town. The ever trustworthy Dictionary.com, Google, Wikipedia and the Cambridge English Dictionary redirect ‘aunty’ to ‘auntie’, so the latter is most likely more correct. The Merriam-Webster dictionary also does this, and claims the first use of ‘auntie’ was in 1672. However, they don’t reference how they know this or explain more about the story. Aunty or auntie depends on where you are PS: It's a bit of a stereotype, that all Asian parents want you to do these certain careers. Did they ever try to talk you into doing something different?

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop