Those People Next Door: a twisty and page-turning courtroom drama and suspenseful legal thriller to keep you up at night in 2023!

£7.495
FREE Shipping

Those People Next Door: a twisty and page-turning courtroom drama and suspenseful legal thriller to keep you up at night in 2023!

RRP: £14.99
Price: £7.495
£7.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Tom is confronted by Salma, who, when angry, can be loud and rude. He denies painting the window. Bad feelings increase. Within a short time, Salma believes Tom is responsible for keying her car, stealing their dog, having the restaurant they were selling trashed, and hiring young hooligans to occupy the restaurant as squatters, making it impossible for the Khatun family to sell. Those People Next Door” was my least favorite book by Kia Abdullah perhaps because it was reminiscent of “Those People” (my least favorite book by Louise Candlish) ? A few months ago, this book's very discriminatory publisher declined my NetGalley request to review this audiobook which, ironically, was a book about discrimination and rejection.

Those People Next Door - Letterboxd Those People Next Door - Letterboxd

A rollercoaster ride of a toxic tale of neighbours from hell. Brilliantly pacey and wonderfully written with a lovely big twist.’Those People Next Door (1952) - John Harlow - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". Y'all, I am always down for the drama. But this is a different sort of neighborhood drama than I'm used to. This was on a different level than most.

Those People Next Door by Kia Abdullah | Goodreads Those People Next Door by Kia Abdullah | Goodreads

Basically, Salma and Tom get into it. They get into it deep. This is a neighbor feud for the freaking record books. Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does. One of the things that ai like most about this authors writing is that she is not afraid to go there. She will push that boundary and talk about the things that others may not be brave enough to. This book is all about racism and class. It always feels authentic in the writing and the characters are believable. You really do have strong feel is one way or another on what is happening and to who it is happening.

Featured Reviews

Overall, this was not a winner for me, but I sit at the outlier table as many have loved it. I remain a huge fan of this author as all of her previous books have been 4-5 star reads for me. I look forward to what she comes out with next. In Kia Abdullah’s latest, Those People Next Door, she gives something slightly different from her other books. She still has written a thought-provoking psychological thriller and courtroom drama with her trademark twist. She adds more drama to the story while exploring class, race, aggression, community dynamics, and neighbors misbehaving, and the underbelly of a picture-perfect suburban town. Well, these are those neighbours. With a different craziness taking it to extreme levels. The drama spiralling out of control -on both sides of the fence. But there is a dog. And that had me lose my sh*t. In this book, she explores themes such as racism, community, social media, class differences, hypocrisy, and violence that can tempt each person to cross the line for their righteous or distorted perspective.

Those People next Door (1952) | BFI Those People next Door (1952) | BFI

this was a good blend of a neighborhood suspense, family/moral drama and a procedural thriller. i expected a bit more “thriller” than we got, so i recommend adjusting expectations for a mystery / suspense with lots of drama and that should help! neighborhood thrillers are my fave trope, so i’m also a bit tougher on those books than most since i’ve read so many. A stunning, thought-provoking and morally challenging read. It had me guessing until the ingenious reveal – a world-class story’ Graham Bartlett, author of Bad For Good You know it’s only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt. No one can come out of this conflict unscathed. Like a runaway train, there is nothing you can do to stop it.If Jane Austen were alive, she would not be writing about zombies but the sorts of novels that Kia Abdullah does. They perch on society’s fault lines, observing how the codes of class and race determine actions, how good intentions can be weakness, how a word or a gesture can lead inexorably to catastrophe.’ This was one of my most highly anticipated reads this year. While I enjoyed it for the most part, this is my least favourite book by this author. The intensity was no were near as impactful as her other novels. Most of the characters actions and decisions were over the top and unbelievable which took away from my connection to and investment in the story. I wasn’t bought into what was happening. I was emotionless while reading this and I failed to develop sympathy for any of the characters. I had no one to root for in this revenge-filled story. Salma Khatun, her husband Bil, and teenage son Zain move to a nice neighborhood of Blenheim for a fresh start. Zain is expelled from his old school and Bil's restaurant closed up for good due to the pandemic. So many aspects of this book has been carefully considered, everything down to the title and use of the word ‘those’ to mean ‘different’ or even ‘antisocial’, but certainly not ‘us’. Their next door neighbours Joe (Charles Victor) and Emma (Gladys Henson) practically live in the Twiggs’ house, borrowing cups of sugar or using their Anderson shelter. Controversy arises when Sam's pretty daughter Anne (Patricia Cutts) becomes romantically involved with RAF officer Victor Stevens (Peter Forbes-Robertson). There is disapproval from Victor's wealthy parents, Sir Andrew and Lady Stevens (Garry Marsh and Grace Arnold), who object to the match on grounds of class. Lady Stevens even offers money to the Twigg family to call off the relationship, which enrages father Sam. However, when RAF man Victor is reportedly shot down in action, parental attitudes soften.

Those People Next Door (1953) - IMDb

Whenever I see Kia Abdullah’s name attached to a book, I get very excited, and ‘Those People Next Door’ was a perfect example of why this author elicits such feelings. Those People Next Door highlights the different forms of racism and prejudices in this compulsively readable thriller. This is an odd one, the central idea really only acts as bookends to the film with odd bits of filler inbetween. Salma Khatun is extremely hopeful about Blenheim, the safe suburban development to which she, her husband and their son have just moved. Their family is in need of a fresh start, and Blenheim feels like the right place to make that happen. Not long after they move in, Salma spots her neighbour, Tom Hutton, ripping out the anti-racist banner she put in her front garden. She chooses not to confront Tom because she wants to fit in. It's a small thing really. No need to make a fuss. So, Salma takes the banner inside and puts it in her window instead. But the next morning she wakes to find her window smeared with paint.Zain and Tom's son, Jaimie, have become friends, but their parents have forbidden them from seeing each other. The boys secretly work together to develop an app and receive a grant. Salma later wonders if she is prejudiced against beautiful, white, blond, classy women like Willa.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop