Love in a Time of War: The best new sweeping, escapist historical fiction book release of the year!: Book 1 (The Three Fry Sisters)

£4.495
FREE Shipping

Love in a Time of War: The best new sweeping, escapist historical fiction book release of the year!: Book 1 (The Three Fry Sisters)

RRP: £8.99
Price: £4.495
£4.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Enjoyed this story of the three Fry sisters, set in WWI (a nice change for the numerous WWII women's fiction stories). She has fallen in love with her young German teacher and must decide whether to spend the summer with Max in Germany or in London working for the suffragist movement. She appears almost puritanical in that respect, indeed one might say hyprocritical given what the reader learns about her early life.

The book was well written, the Characters were wonderful and the depiction of the first world war and the trenches was realistic as were the zeppelins.I love the way in which Adrienne made me feel as though I was part of the story and at the heart of the action. The story of Christina and her three daughters takes you to many places, from Capri to Cairo, through love lost and found. As she was gearing up for the "you shouldn't be reading this" lecture, I told her the characters get married in the end. Adrienne does a fabulous job of portraying, through these three very different sisters, the spirit of all women who went on to forge new lives for themselves during and after this time of war.

Adrienne Chinn’s Love in a Time of War is a wonderful historical novel that effortlessly draws readers into a beautifully evoked world of secrets, jeopardy, hope and love. This was a very good story about a family of sisters and how they managed through hardships during the war, each in their own way. This book follows these very different sisters through a time of great change - women were now able to leave home alone, travel overseas without a chaperone or take on roles and positions traditionally held by men.

Eighteen-year old Jessie is studying at nursing school and has been offered an amazing opportunity of which her mother disapproves. This is a book that really has a bit of everything – drama, romance, conflict, heartache, rich historical detail, wonderfully drawn locations – and “swept me away” doesn’t begin to do it justice.

If you like family stories, particularly told during war time and times of adversity I would highly recommend this book. Of course there are romantic relationships for the sisters which makes for major problems given the world climate at the time. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. I was gifted this advance copy by Adrienne Chinn, HarperCollins UK, One More Chapter, and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.In 1913, in a quiet corner of London, the three Fry sisters are coming of age, dreaming of all the possibilities the bright future offers. Having done his best to provide a stable home for his daughters, encourage their interests and be a devoted husband, I was intensely moved by his discovery that all is not what it seems in his marriage. In the Acknowledgments, the author talks about her grandmother and other family members who became an inspiration for the characters of the Fry sisters.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop