Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon’s Stories of Life and Death on the Operating Table

£9.9
FREE Shipping

Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon’s Stories of Life and Death on the Operating Table

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Prenatal testing is not very common, and many parents do not know they carry the mutation. Therefore, parents usually start to notice symptoms in their children when they are infants or toddlers. The average age at diagnosis is 36 months for boys and 42 months for girls. 2 Diagnosis of Children Westaby was determined to save the child as he understood the torment the young woman felt as she finally relinquished her iron-like grip on her precious bundle of rags. Intent on bringing good news to the mother, he tried a heretical method which proved successful. Unfortunately, immediately after the operation, his attention was diverted to another trauma patient. Within this time, tampering from the inexperienced intensive care team led to a rapid deterioration that left the boy beyond salvation. There was nothing Westaby could do to reverse the damage. Pioneering surgery is now threatened by the blame culture. Even proven techniques are being rationed due to the focus on cost, whatever the benefit. Physical. Most infants and younger children with Fragile X don’t have any specific physical features of this syndrome. When these children start to go through puberty, however, many will begin to develop certain features that are typical of those with Fragile X. Fragile Lives is a memoir written by Stephen Westaby, one of the most well known cardiac surgeons and hugely prolific in his chosen field. A trailblazer from very early on in his career, he continued to pave the way for the use of new and unknown cardiac treatments and apparatus.

Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon’s Stories of Life and De…

Amniocentesis. A healthcare provider takes a sample of amniotic fluid, which is then tested for the FMR1 mutation. Prepare the individual for any changes in routine by explaining these changes ahead of time, possibly by using visual signs. Please note that some of these medications carry serious risks. Others may make symptoms worse at first, or they may take several weeks to become effective. Doctors may have to try different dosages or combinations of medications to find the most effective plan. Families, caregivers, and doctors need to work together to ensure that a medication is working and that the medication plan is safe. Death and a surgeons determined walk away from the table is truly a sight to see. In this case it’s British Cardiac Surgeon Stephen Westaby. Reading Open Heart: A Cardiac Surgeon’s Stories of Life and Death on the Operating Table takes us to the discovery of a little baby with a congenital hole in its heart and how “nascentes morimur” applies.National Fragile X Foundation. (2012). F ragile X S yndrome Testing & Diagnosis. Retrieved June 7, 2012, from https://fragilex.org/understanding-fragile-x/fragile-x-101/testing-diagnosis/ The crimson fountain hit the operating lights, sprayed the surgeons, soaked the green drapes. Someone murmured “Oh sh..! I was good with my hands (an understatement). The battle was lost…Yet I knew about life and death.” Beth wanted me to be a cardiac surgeon,” Westaby writes, complex surgery out of his reach today because of a distorted hand caused by Dupuytren’s contracture. “And I didn’t disappoint her. I was good at it.” One of those cases where I was in a funk and just going through OverDrive app, trying to find something different to listen to, that would lift me out of the fog and de-stress me. Oh, and this is my parting comment – make sure you’re on the Organ Donation Register, and make sure your family knows it, should the worst happen.

Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon’s Stories of Life and Death on Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon’s Stories of Life and Death on

I started it Monday morning, and by Monday night I was a ball of emotions upon finishing it. Every chapter is a case story, and every case is heartbreaking yet life-affirming, if that makes sense. I found myself close to tears on more than one occasion on Monday, knowing that these are real people and they were meeting Westaby at possibly the worst moment of their lives. When Kawita became pregnant with their second child, Uttam worried they wouldn’t be able to afford the birth but then they heard about Penny Appeal’s new Health Centre. Kawita gave birth at our centre to a healthy baby, and both mother and child are dong wonderfully.The title sums it up pretty well. A collection of anecdotes from the author's colourful and accomplished life in the field of cardiothoracic surgery. This one stood out to me, the fact Westaby was from the UK peaked my interest too. I hadn't listened to someone from that profession who lived outside the USA and it had me very curious. I started listening to it the same night on the way to work. We were adrenaline junkies living on a continuous high, craving action. From bleeding patients to cardiac arrests. From theatre to intensive care. From pub to party.” They may have trouble speaking clearly, may stutter, or may leave out parts of words. They may also have problems understanding other people’s social cues, such as tone of voice or specific types of body language. Each chapter was more or less dedicated to a case, and although they were fascinating, towards the end they began to mush together a bit. There were a few, however, that I think will always haunt me.

Slips and trips campaigns - Slips and trips - HSE

The balance between life and death is so delicate, and the heart surgeon walks that rope between the two. In the operating room there is no time for do... Because prenatal testing involves some risk to the mother and fetus, if you or a family member is considering prenatal testing for Fragile X, discuss all the risks and benefits with your healthcare provider. A brilliant, thought provoking memoir chronicling renowned heart surgeon Westaby as he details his life and career. Starting from humble beginnings, the author challenges the perception that only public schoolboys get to be surgeons. It's amazing how far medicine has come in just a few generations. Who would have thought artificial hearts can and do work. The ability for a truly rested heart to regenerate is eye-opening and makes you wonder why we can't be doing this for more people.We’re working to help entire families become free from the fear of hunger for life by teaching them vital agricultural skills and helping them access the dynamic market so they can produce and sell their own food using established business models. If you need to work on or access a fragile roof or surface, no matter how short the duration, you must plan and manage the work to ensure it’s done safely. The heart is wondrous in its design. It beats more than 60 times per minute, 31m times a year, “contraction and relaxation… narrowing, twisting and shortening… a veritable Argentine tango”. With his battle cry of “bugger protocol” and his renaming of medical directors as “the Stasi”, Westaby comes across as the bloke you’d want on your side in the fight to stay alive.’ Guardian Books of the Year Tracing his journey from a youthful, high-spirited trainee with eccentric ideas to a polished, experienced professor and leader in his field, Westaby shows us the marvel of saving lives. Behind the blood and gore, there is always a human fighting for his life, and loved ones holding on to hope. As a doctor, one traverses both physical and emotional realms. In the operating theatre, the mind is at work, fully focused on cutting, suturing and stitching, but once out of those blood-stained walls, the undulating waves of emotion return.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop