Heart of the King: An Epic Fantasy Adventure (The Lords of Alekka Book 4)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

This is a beautifully written story that takes scriptures from 2 Samuel, 1 Kings and Song of Solomon. The use of scripture to create a story was AMAZING! It brought the scripture to life in a different way. In particular I like him now, when, married into the upper reaches of bohemia, he’s at last beginning to resemble the old hippy he always has been, rather than the youthful straight-goer others believe he should be. Mayer’s book has sparked – or rather, reignited – some controversy: is Charles too “political” to be a constitutional monarch? Will he give up his obsessive beneficence when he seats himself on the Stone of Scone? And can he square his seemingly heterodox religious beliefs with his status as head of the Anglican Communion? But, again, Mayer is a shrewd enough surveyor of the British scene not to be fooled by such deceptively rational bends. She understands that the only real barriers to a smooth succession are emotional ones: the mass hysteria fomented by the cult of Diana Spencer and her mediatised martyrdom are still bubbling about in the British collective unconscious, and may yet erupt all over the primrose-yellow coat-dress of Queen Camilla.

There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up. I can't wait to see what Jill Eileen Smith writes next. I do know that it will be excellent. I highly recommend this one. With tenderness and hopefulness, this story will wrap you up and put you in the center of a time, that is only read about in the Bible, of a time many have forgotten to remember. The rich historic detail is vivid and captivating and Smith has once again managed to make me fall in love with yet another amazing book. This is beyond 5 star worthy and I hope you, too, will fall in love with the story of Solomon and his loves. If you like Biblical Fiction this is a well researched story of one of the best known kings in the Bible. I believe you will enjoy this view of Solomon and 4 of his wives. This is a balanced story about Solomon, showing both his mistakes but also his desire to stay true to God.

The Armada Portrait of Elizabeth I

In the LORD’s hand the king’s heart is a stream of water that he channels toward all who please him. The Old Testament is full of profound stories of people still iconically remembered today through novel and movie retellings. My excitement is always piqued by those retellings, and I try to read or watch as many as I can. When the chance came for me to review Jill Eileen Smith’s latest novel, The Heart Of A King, I happily dived in. Let tyrants fear. I have always so behaved myself that, under God, I have placed my chiefest strength and safeguard in the loyal hearts and good-will of my subjects; and therefore I am come amongst you, as you see, at this time, not for my recreation and disport, but being resolved, in the midst and heat of the battle, to live and die amongst you all; to lay down for my God, and for my kingdom, and my people, my honour and my blood, even in the dust.

King Solomon was such a fool in romance. He just made so many foolish mistakes and broke laws concerning women. I just can't deal with him in certain parts because he seemed like a baby when it came to the women. Seeing him fall due to a simple mistake was heartbreaking -- but it also shows that good intentions don't always yield good results. As a rush of water, so is the king's heart in God's hand: he turns it whithersoever he may desire to point out. This novel is very imaginative, very emotional, and very thought-stirring. It displays King Solomon (and some of his many loves) in a way I’ve never considered before. As each love interest made her appearance, the character of King Solomon became more alive and more understandable. And I could not tear myself away from that inside look! What I loved most about this novel was that it gave Abishag – a personal caregiver to King David and someone I’ve always wondered about – a special and surprising place in the story. I’m still thinking about the connection Jill Eileen Smith made between the woman in The Songs of Solomon and the women highlighted in this novel. I love how the author can bring what is in Scripture to life and flesh out the people we only read about. They were real with feelings, failures, struggles, and shortcomings. I think every time I read Jill's biblical fiction novels, she makes me look inward to my own self and evaluate my own heart. And that's a good thing in my book! It brings me closer to the heart of God every time.

Dudley arranged for Queen Elizabeth to visit Tilbury to announce his appointment and rally the troops on 9 August 1588. The queen's reported words during that visit has gone down in history. Read it in full below.

The king’s heart is like channels of water in the hand of the LORD; He turns it wherever He wishes.I originally read Smith’s Loves of King Solomon series when they were released as novellas focusing on some of the women in Solomon’s life: Naamah – the mother of his heir, Abishag – the shepherdess who cared for his father, Siti – a princess of Egypt and Nicaula – the famed Queen of Sheba. Now, Smith has taken those excellent stories and woven in King Solomon’s perspective as well. It was interesting seeing how Solomon grew and changed through the eyes of wives and under the guidance of his mother Bathsheba. Each wife had a distinct personality as well as a vastly different relationship with Solomon. Solomon himself seemed in love with the idea of love but never content in his relationships. I love the way that Jill Smith makes me feel that I’m an observer in the palace watching all these events take place. We not only see this story from Solomon’s point of view, but a large part of the story is from the viewpoints of four women in his life: Naamath, his first wife; Abishag, who took care of King David in his last years, Siti, his Egyptian wife; and the Queen of Sheba. Following their storylines helped me to better understand how all of Solomon’s marriages influenced the political situation of the nation of Israel. As we read through this book, the author never lets us forget that Solomon, in spite of all his wisdom, chose to ignore God’s clear commands about how a king of Israel should live in regards to marriage and material gain. I was by turns very aggravated at Solomon or felt great pity for him. I have to admit that I’ve wondered how a man who had that many wives would find peace, and there’s a slight glimmer of humor as Solomon has to deal with all their requests. The man that wandereth out of the way of understanding shall remain in the congregation of the dead. I liked reading about his relationships but I totally understood how Naamah and Nicaula both felt-that they wanted the love of one man and didn't want to share him. What a complicated time!

The king’s heart is like channels of water in the hand of the LORD; He turns it whichever way He wishes. Siti, the young Egyptian princess who gives Solomon Gezer, but refuses to give up her god, Bastet and demands a palace of her own. I have not yet read the individual Loves of King Solomon books, but I thought this book read well by itself, although I may have received a more “rounded” view of the women had I read them beforehand. When Solomon becomes king, you can feel the honor and blessings that are bestowed upon him. His first wife has given him a child but will that keep his eyes from wandering? I loved getting a better insight into each of King Solomon’s wives. Each one played an important part in his legacy. The words he spoke to them was poetic and filled with love. The risks he took in having many wives was a heavy price. As you read the book, take note of each wife and how they impacted King Solomon as he made decisions, betrayed people and grew to know the gift of wisdom was the one gift God had given him. Did he use it wisely? It would please me best if, at the last, a marble stone shall record that this Queen having lived such and such a time, lived and died a virgin.’The author speculated as to which woman Solomon married first and chose Naamah for this distinction. Seeing her perspective as the first wife - how she would have reacted in finding out that Solomon was to marry again. And again. And again. Ouch! Listen, my son! Listen, son of my womb! Listen, my son, the answer to my prayers! Do not spend your strength on women, your vigor on those who ruin kings. He must not take many wives, or his heart will be led astray. (pg. 186)

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop