Why Mummy Drinks: The Sunday Times Number One Bestselling Author

Why Mummy Drinks: The Sunday Times Number One Bestselling Author

RRP: £12.99
Price: £6.495
£6.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

It got really tedious about half way through the part about baby-sitting Edward. Peter breaking his leg added nothing to the story. So many, laugh out loud moments. Don’t read this book in company, I couldn’t stop laughing. The worst bit was Semen Smoothies! Yes, I would have bought a new blender as well!! If you feel that you're not one of the 'in gang' and that everyone else's lives are going much more smoothly than yours then you'll find you are not alone. Job dissatisfaction, less than perfect children, extended family problems, money difficulties...are all relatable and laughable topics that can be found in this book. And if you don't mind swearing (or acronyms for swearing usually used in text messages) then you're probably more likely to enjoy this book. Ellen waxes lyrical about how she's brought up Jane to be a strong independent young woman. If Jane has turned out OK, there is little evidence that Ellen had a lot to do with it.

I particularly liked how the story was set out in a diary form covering a full year, with each of the events narrated within the correct month, e.g. the taking of exams in June and the dreaded expectation of results in August. This made for a highly realistic time line of events that sounded all too familiar and I knew exactly what issues was on their way! The upshot is that she is persuaded that the little cottage she wanted, that the expensive handbags and shoes she desires are just not really going to bring her the emotional and spiritual satisfaction of buying a house in France and letting her sister-in-law live in it. So she does. Even though Ellen at times could be very selfish, I loved her character overall. When she needs to step up to the mark she does and she had me routing for her a long the way. From issues with extended family to the everyday issues you would have at home, this book really does have it all and really makes for a highly enjoyable read.The year begins with Jane taking her driving test for the second time, Simon being whisked away on a couples’ retreat by Marissa, his smug and far too youthful girlfriend, and Ellen facing the prospect of re-entering the job market in a threatened merger and streamlining at work. Between navigating Jane’s 18th birthday, Peter’s attachment to his electronic devices and getting either of them to revise, Ellen also attempts to come to the rescue of Hannah with an unforgettable overnight stay from Conan the Destroyer of Houses (aka Hannah’s two-year-old Edward)! With Ellen and Simon thrown together for the teenagers rites of passage including exam results day and depositing Jane at university they also find time to talk about themselves for once including Ellen’s career and Simon’s new relationship issues.

FML. For when you can't even be bothered to swear properly, but abbreviate the words. While pouring another drink. I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest and unbiased review of the book*Why Mummy’s Sloshed” is quite a rollercoaster ride and I did feel quite breathless at times, it’s not a stress free read but then neither is parenting! And in the words of the author, “the bigger the kids, the bigger the drink!” BTW, the consensus from Bookclub was a thumbs down...at least it wasn't just me that struggled with it).

I also liked the pet dog, very much. The way he kept giving Ellen disapproving looks after she'd had another blinder was brilliant "The dog could not look more disgusted with me if he tried." Way to go Fido! This series really does show what real #momlife is all about, warts and all and I love how honest this writer is about what life is like when even a trip to the loo isn't your own time. I can imagine that this writer has vamped up some of the stories for comedy sake but I can totally picture everything that Ellen goes through happening in real life.The author has obviously learnt everything first hand and has managed to convey every experience a parent could endure, funny, sad, serious or lighthearted, into a fabulous set of books every mother (and possibly fathers - for a once in a lifetime chance to see inside a women’s mind) should read. I'm really glad I read this book and I'm definitely interested in looking at the previous books in this series now. Her appalling sister-in-law and her husband and their unruly, un toilet-trained, "the only thing we own is our soul" (and therefore what's the problem with me using all your things when they aren't really 'your's') and the Great Goddess in the Sky will provide for us says our Coven or some such rubbish. She has no notion of work, but wants to be a free spirit sponging off her brother.

Right from the start, it sets the tone; outlining the 'ideal day' (offering the 'precious moppets' a choice of 'wholesome homemade breakfasts', serenely walking to school etc.) vs the grim reality of telling aforementioned moppets to 'disengage themselves from bastarding electronic devices' and legging it to school with moments to spare.I enjoyed the book. It was very funny but rather risqué. I particularly found the Easter Egg hunt and the Fire Work display very memorable. If there was a problem with the book, it was the bad language and too much information about her Sisters children's Toilet habits." Maureen. This book was okay- but I was hoping for so much more. The first few chapters annoyed me, as it was completely reliant on a series of stereotypes- the dad who spends too much time at work, the mum who does all the child care and housework, the stay at home mums, the working mums etc. etc. I was really hoping that this book would break away from this, and have something different to say, alas not! It felt like a bit of a rip off of Bridget Jones if I'm honest with all the above mentioned stereotypes thrown in for good measure. Children are supposed to be angels ..but any right witted parent will know that though they look like Angels, they often behave like devils. And Ellen has two devilish specimens in the form of Jane and Peter who test her patience sorely. spatele rețetelor de socializare știți și voi cum e: multă tristețe și o realitate care nu e ambalată cu niciun filtru.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop