Press Here: Board Book Edition: 1 (Herve Tullet)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The philosophical questions raised by Press Here are quite abstract and may suit slightly older primary school children. Younger children will still enjoy thinking about some of the questions about the paradox of fiction though. Questions for Philosophical Discussion The paradox of fiction

Yes, This is NOT a Romance book or even a Mystery/Thriller. Yes, my reviewing a children's book is quite unusual. Well, sometimes I will experience something so impressive, I cannot stop myself from telling everyone about it. Recently I became a Grandmother and our reading material covered all of the ones I had read with my children when they were little. Then more books arrived from relatives and others. It was eye-opening to see all these new books, creative and beautifully made.Is Press Here different from other books you have read? In what ways? What makes it different? What do you like about it? The way the book is formatted, it becomes an experience the child wants to do over and over again. What is the best... the person reading with the child will not mind at all. The reason why I am singing the praises of this book is due to how perfectly it accomplishes its goal. What is the difference between the two cases above? What is it that makes us say that there is a cause-effect relationship between pressing the doorbell and it ringing, whereas there is no cause-effect relationship between pressing the button and it turning into two? Tullet combines simple, colorful dots with simple, clear directions for a book bound to lead to interactive fun.

How can we know when two things are linked through cause and effect? If you pressed a doorbell and you suddenly felt ill, would you think it was an effect of having pressed the doorbell? Why? The paradox of fiction refers to people being “moved” (normally emotionally) by fictional characters, events, or situations despite knowing that they are fictional and not real. How can we explain that we feel sad for a character in a book even though we know that they do not really exist? Or that we feel frightened by a monster in a film, despite knowing that no such monster exists? Or, in the case of Press Here, that we reach out and press, or blow, or clap, despite knowing that we are not really making anything happen when we do so? When we talk about interactive picture books we’re usually talking about pop-up books or tactile books with fuzzy/bumpy details. When we talk about picture books that break down the fourth wall, we’re usually talking about titles that approach the reader directly with a narrative like The Monster at the End of This Book or Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus or Can You Make a Scary Face So where do we slot the little French import Press Here by Herve Tullet? Interactive but also reliant on the paper format, this here’s an entirely new breed of book. One that has its finger firmly on the pulse of what kids are used to, while at the same time finding a way to both upset and exceed their expectations.It works as a teaching tool and at first, it is just the reader doing all of the actions. But in no time, the child learns to point, understands clapping, counting, colors and how every action has a reaction. Months have passed and our grandaughter's ability to understand more and more has increased which leads me... A dot is such a simple thing. A simple thing that turns into something magically fun in this marvelous new book by Hervé Tullet. It is recommended for children from 4 years to 8 years. I can truthfully say, you can start with this book much much younger.

Does experience of seeing two events occurring one after the other again and again confirm that there is a causal link between them? How many times do you think you have to see two events together to conclude there is a causal link between them?I would contend that Press Here is actually more interactive than many digital picture books. Touching, rubbing, shaking, blowing, tilting – can you name an app that registers all those different actions?

For further speech and language goals to target using Press Here by Hervé Tullet, see the list below. As a children’s librarian I had to consider the readaloud potential of this book. Sure, it’s beautiful for one-on-one experiences. It would even work well with kids who’ve enough experience reading that they know what it’s saying at any given moment. But what about for storytimes with big groups of kids? Since the book is constantly telling “you” what “you” should do next, the reader would have to read the text and then do the instructions themselves. That could be fun, but if I know anything about toddlers and preschoolers, you know that you had better have some pretty long arms if you’re going read this aloud to them. Otherwise you might find them approaching you like small determined zombies, arms outstretched so that they might press and touch and rub and tap the book for themselves. At least you can get a big group to blow and clap their hands for the later portions of the story. That’s pretty good. I was Stunned. The first time I read it with her, she was already familiar with it. I could see her anticipating what was coming next. She was captivated by the idea of doing all of the necessary things to make the book work. Press Here touches on two main philosophically interesting issues, namely, causality and the paradox of fiction. The paradox of fiction Press Here is interesting in this way it does move us in a very clear way to take part and engage in the illusion that we are making things happen in the book, even though we know very well we are not. And this does not only happen the first time we read it. It happens again and again every time we look at it. CausalityPhilosophers of art have tried to explain this paradox in different ways. Some have suggested that, with fiction (at least with good fiction), we enter a special state whereby we willingly suspend disbelief and–at least momentarily– embrace it as “real.” Others suggest that it’s not entirely accurate to say we are moved by fictional characters or events. When we say we feel sad for a character in a book, what we are really saying is that we feel sorry for people in real life who could be in that situation or in a similar situation. Others suggest that it is another form of “pretending” or make-believe (that is, we don’t “really” feel sad or frightened, we are just pretending). Its suitableness for its target age range. This is a book that is targeted for kids who are learning how to follow directions. They are learning their manners and how to put their clothes on and how to line up for things at nursery school and such, and this book is (pardon the pun) spot on for them. PRESS HERE, MIX IT UP!, LET'S PLAY!, and SAY ZOOP! Collect all four interactive books from Herve Tullet. I was pressing, rubbing, shaking and clapping along as I read the book, which I finished with a huge smile on my face - and I'm almost 47, yo, so just imagine how much more fun this book is for an actual child. Highly recommended for anyone with someone in the 2-7 age range around who wants to have some fun.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop