Coasting: Running Around the Coast of Britain – Life, Love and (Very) Loose Plans

£4.995
FREE Shipping

Coasting: Running Around the Coast of Britain – Life, Love and (Very) Loose Plans

RRP: £9.99
Price: £4.995
£4.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Love love loved, made me want to quit everything and just go explore, to spend more time outdoors and to go on some adventures, even just small ones. I think her achievement of running around the coast of Britain is amazing, but I have mixed feelings about the book. Over the next 301 days, she saw Britain at its most wild and wonderful, and discovered that running away doesnt solve your problems but it's more fun than dealing with them. It’s not even really aimed at your typical armchair traveller — compared to The Kingdom by the Sea, there’s less description, more introspection. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others.

Elise is so candid about her experience and I found this approach refreshing and generous and, at times, hilarious. Raban joins the miners on the picket lines to see what real political action is like and takes the views from the locals on their opinions of the Falklands War. Paul Theroux described his journey, made mainly by rail, in The Kingdom by the Sea which I read when it was published, and Jonathan Raban, who chose to sail around the country in an old two masted sailing boat, recounted his travels in Coasting, which became something of a travel writing classic, and which I have only just got round to reading.The result is a triumph, and should be read for its evocation of childhood and awkward adolescence, its portrayal of his father, its descriptions of places and sunsets, of incidents and accidents. However, this was all a backdrop to the seascapes that he travels through, the looking cliffs, fast races and eddy’s, sandbanks and other much larger boats that would challenge him every day of the journey.

It made me think that maybe I could do an adventure too- even I can read a map better than ED could back then! He has a slightly tense meeting with Paul Theroux in Brighton who is heading around the UK in the opposite direction and also in the process of writing his book, The Kingdom by the Sea.There was a whole bunch of "then I went from there to here and stayed with x and we ate y", which, to be fair, is what one might expect from a novel like this, but. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice. Set in the 1980s when I was a kid it transported me back to an age when the Sun ruled and Thatcher was at the peak of her powers. His telling of his life as a student in Hull was surprising and entertaining and his meeting with Philip Larkin was an unexpected treat.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop