The Pepperpot Diaries: Stories From My Caribbean Table

The Pepperpot Diaries: Stories From My Caribbean Table

RRP: £27.00
Price: £13.5
£13.5 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Splash a little oil into the palm of your hands and rub it all over the dough in the bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel and leave the dough to rest at room temperature for 2-3 hours – 3 hours is preferable if you have time. In a food processor, blitz together the onion, garlic, chilli, ground cumin, coriander, turmeric and curry powder, and 2 tablespoons of the oil to a rough paste. She then joked: “Can you imagine being in a car with one of your parents for ten hours a day over three weeks? We only had one argument!” I think of books as like a life raft. They save us from mundanity, they draw us to a poetic, multi-faceted world. We all need that. We all need to listen to our empathy and step towards kindness and I think books help you to remember that you’re an empathic, human animal and that we need to come together. I think there’s no better time to be reminded of that, than this. On the inside covers of her first cookbook, The Pepperpot Diaries, is a tapestry of photos of her sprawling extended family. She traces them with a finger. Here is her daughter Miquita, the TV presenter, with whom she’s made several shows; her Antiguan mother, now in her mid-80s, who lives upstairs, pictured with her father over the years: “Can you see she’s looking progressively more pissed off in each photo?” There are friends as close as family: the singer Neneh Cherry, with whom Oliver fronted the post-punk band Rip Rig + Panic. And what’s this? A photo of the Kanneh-Mason clan, the piano- and string-playing musical prodigies? “They’re my cousins!” The book is her origin story as well as a guide to a vibrant but under-represented cuisine: Caribbean cooking is the cooking of 700 islands, with India, China, France, Spain and Portugal all finding their way into the food.

The Pepperpot Diaries by Andi Oliver | Waterstones

Lower the heat to medium-low, then add the onion and remaining garlic and chilli. Lightly sauté for 5 minutes until slightly softened. Add the curry powder and a splash of water – enough to form a paste. Gently cook for 2 minutes, being careful not to burn the spices. Preheat the oven to 180C fan/gas mark 6. Cook the macaroni in a deep pan of vigorously boiling salted water until tender but still with a little bite left to it; it’ll take around 10 minutes. Drain immediately and leave to one side. While this is happening, grate all the cheeses, mix them together and set aside. The first sweet things I ever made were cheesecakes. This iteration brings together the creaminess of white chocolate with toasty coconut and vibrant lime to sublime effect. Not too sweet, just right.In April 2007, she started presenting a six-part cookery show Neneh and Andi Dish it Up with her friend Neneh Cherry for BBC2. [5] Projects [ edit ] Remove from the oven, remove the beans and paper and let cool slightly. Leave the oven on at the same temperature. Meanwhile, make the frangipane by beating the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy either in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or using an electric hand whisk. Beat in the eggs one by one. Add the almond essence, then beat in the ground almonds. Finally, fold in the flour. took part in Eight Go Rallying: The Road To Saigon with her daughter Miquita Oliver. They drove a 1959 Morris Minor. [7]

Andi Oliver - Wikipedia

Put all the biscuits in a sealable food bag and bash them up to fine crumbs using a rolling pin or similar. Tip the crumbs into a bowl and mix with the toasted coconut, melted butter, and salt. Press into the bottom and sides of the tart tin and chill in the fridge for 1 hour or until set. I also think it’s a good time to remind people of the simple things that can bring a little light into your life. A book is such a seemingly small thing but it’s a door into infinite universes. At a time when it’s hard for us to connect with people in the physical, real world, because there are so many restrictions – books connect us to each other in an age-old way that I will never be tired of. I think it’s a brilliant time to be doing something like a book show.” The great thing about becoming famous in your 50s, she says, is that it doesn’t drive you mad: you can enjoy the work, but you see it for what it is: “If this had happened to me when I was younger, I’d be dead by now.” Oliver may be the biggest thing on food TV these days, presenting Great British Menu for a third series – she’s fast-talking, deeply knowledgeable, engaged, at ease and earthy, with a refreshing inquisitiveness. She asks so many questions, puzzling over ways to stop the mayonnaise separating in a cheese toastie, on the Channel 4 show Food Unwrapped. Wright, Katie (9 May 2023). "Andi Oliver on turning 60 and channeling her anger into power". The Independent.

Philby, Charlotte (17 January 2009). "My Secret Life: Miquita Oliver, television presenter, 24". The Independent. Put all the ingredients into a small saucepan with 80ml of water. Set over a medium-low heat and warm through, stirring now and again, until everything is melted and combined. To make the purée, soak the raisins in the rum for at least an hour. Blend to a purée in a food processor, then scrape into a bowl and set aside. Wash and dry the food processor for the next step. Do you think at this time, books are more important than ever in giving us inspiration and comfort?

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop