A Place of Execution

A Place of Execution

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Alison,' the woman gasped. 'My Alison's not come home.' 'Alison's your lass, is she?' PC Swindells asked, his voice deliberately calm, attempting to reassure the woman.

I see, sir,' Swindells said cautiously. While the information didn't exactly change anything, it did make the policeman slightly wary, conscious that Scardale was off his beat in more ways than the obvious. Scardale wasn't just a different world from the bustling market town where Swindells lived and worked; it had the reputation of being a law unto itself. For such a call to come from Scardale, something well out of the ordinary must have happened. Coastal is based in the north-east and it was lovely for me to use locations which are familiar and nostalgic, such as Nenthead Mines. Although proponents have endorsed the method as a painless and more humane way to carry out executions, some experts have said lethal injection is the most botched of execution methods.Scardale is an insular community that doesn't like cops, and the police have a hard time squeezing information out of the residents. George tried to picture Scardale on his mental map of the area. 'Do we have a local man there, Sergeant?' he stalled. Scardale is still frugal and closed from the outer community and Hawkin is considered with some suspicion by the locals. The wealth, house and land were inherited and he really owns the village and the surrounding land.” Missing lass,' Lucas said, proffering the sheet of paper. 'PC Swindells just took the call. They rang here direct, not through the emergency switchboard.'

For the eighth consecutive year, fewer than 30 people were executed and fewer than 50 people were sentenced to death,” the Death Penalty Information Center said in its 2022 report. “… The five-year average of executions, 18.6 per year, is the lowest in more than 30 years, a 74% decline over the course of one decade.” Death penalty in decline Before long the searchers find Shep tied up in the woods and come across an isolated, disturbed area that shows evidence of a struggle. Also, there were a lot of names to keep up with, and it seems like everyone in the town is related - it's a small, isolated town, so they often are. And in the end, we find a few unexpected connections. Hawkin’s secluded world is turned upside down when Alison vanishes after going out to walk her dog on the moors. Over many months, Heathcote finishes her research and writes the book. She's just completed the initial manuscript - and brought it to Bennett to read - when the detective has a change of heart.

Your browser is not supported

The main part of the book revolves around the disappearance, the search, and a court case in the late 1960s. Later, we move thirty years ahead where George has retired and is approached by a young writer who wants to tell his story.

This book is divided into two parts. In the first section, set in the early 1960s, a teenage girl disappears from a small English village and the police investigate. In the second section, set in 1998, a reporter writes a book about the mid-century incident.

If you'll just give me some details, sir,' the stolid Swindells said, pulling his pad closer to him. To make the action work on screen, he turned the journalist, Catherine, into a documentary maker. That meant we had to make multiple films - one set in 1963, one today, one of Catherine's documentary and one of a “home” cine film - and blend them all together seamlessly. As a rather large city, London required several places of execution, prior of course to convicts and felons being deported first to America and then to Australia. A Place of Execution is a crime novel by Val McDermid, first published in 1999. The novel won the Los Angeles Times Book Prize, the 2001 Dilys Award, was shortlisted for both the Gold Dagger and the Edgar Award, and was chosen by The New York Times as one of the most notable books of the year. The woman suddenly hawked violently and spat on the ground at his feet. ‘Until you show some sign of knowing what you should be looking for, that's all the help you'll get from me, mister.’”

There was the sound of muffled conversation, then a clear masculine voice came on the line, the unmistakable southern accent brisk with authority. 'This is Philip Hawkin from the manor house in Scardale,' he said. In an out of the way village of Scardale a 13 year old girl has gone missing. A call from her frantic mother, Ruth Hawkin, reporting that Alison had not arrived home after taking their dog for his usual walk. The young (still in his 20's) Detective Inspector George Bennett receives word of the missing girl just as he was preparing to return home. Shortly he's on his way to the Hawkin's home in Scardale to speak with Alison's mother and step-father. My dad (who reads two, maybe three books a week) told me that this was the best mystery he’d read in a long time. With an endorsement like that, who was I to argue? He tossed the book my way and in no time, I was hooked. Lacy, Ann (2010). Frontier Stories: A New Mexico Federal Writers' Project Book. Sunstone Press. pp.87–88. ISBN 978-0865347335.

Summary

This American-born, Irish-British Fascist had been tormenting the British public over the airwaves through his radio broadcasts that always began with the announcement… “Germany calling, Germany calling, Germany calling”. His message to the millions of Britons that regularly tuned in to his jeering, sarcastic broadcasts was that resistance was futile and surrender was their best option. Years later, a writer undertakes the task of writing a book based on the case. This effort leads to further surprises. On a specially prepared scaffold outside the Banqueting House on Whitehall, King Charles I, monarch of the three kingdoms of England, Scotland and Wales was executed on 30 January 1649. Charles had quarrelled with the Parliament of England over his belief that he could govern his people by the divine right of kings, answerable to no man but only to the will of God. This prompted a series of events that ultimately led to the English Civil War, a conflict that saw Charles in a number of bloody battles with both the English and Scottish parliaments from 1642 until his defeat in 1645. The center noted in its 2022 report that executions are heavily concentrated in a few jurisdictions. Oklahoma has the most executions scheduled at 15, followed by Texas at 13 and Ohio at 12, which means nearly three quarters of the country’s scheduled executions are in three states. It’s a strange feeling, almost as if the house belongs to someone else and you are walking into someone else’s bathroom. Lots of relationships have been established there. But of course in only a matter of days you take over the house – to flog the metaphor.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop