Beryl (Modern Plays)

Beryl (Modern Plays)

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Charlie was Burton's greatest supporter, a one-man mechanic, driver, childminder and husband rolled into one. He was ahead of his time, thinks Peake: "Initially I thought this was going to be a story about a housewife and a mother in the 1950s, finding it so hard to get out on that bike, her husband won't be supporting her and she's doing it against all odds. Beryl’s story is just one. How many more female stories are out there? How many more amazing women who have achieved, that we don’t know about are out there? Peake starred as Nellie in Mike Leigh's 2018 film, Peterloo, based on the events of the 1819 Peterloo Massacre in Manchester. [32]

It's a blast ... A really good yarn and four wildly talented actors. What's not to like?” – Camden New Journal

Kate Rusby

Beryl Burton is quite possibly the most successful woman you've never heard of. She dominated cycling in the '50s, '60s and '70s, becoming world pursuit champion, national pursuit champion, road racing world champion, national road racing champion, British record holder, world record holder, an MBE and an OBE. What's even more remarkable is that Beryl had a heart condition and early in her life doctors had advised that she could never take part in strenuous activities. He bought it because I'm always on about female stories and female ideas. We've got so many inspirational women in this country, past and present, who we don't know about. In April 2017 Peake endorsed Labour Party leader Corbyn in the 2017 general election. She said: "I am a Corbyn supporter. My mind boggles why people treat him like the anti-Christ, but it goes to show people are a lot more right-wing than they like to believe." [48] In November 2019, along with other public figures, Peake signed a letter supporting Corbyn, describing him as "a beacon of hope in the struggle against emergent far-right nationalism, xenophobia and racism in much of the democratic world", and endorsed him in the 2019 general election. [49] Aged 30, branded ‘the Yorkshire housewife’ and with no financial sponsorship, she became the first sportswoman in history to break a men’s competitive record.

Beryl Burton was five times world-pursuit champion, thirteen times national champion, twice road-racing world champion and twelve times national champion. Her accolades include time trials, former world-record holder, former British record-holder, numerous sports awards an MBE and an OBE. Burton was one of the most astonishing sports people ever to have lived, but she remains something of a mystery. S he was a working class heroine who se day job was o n a rhubarb farm and had to make her own way to the race events with no support from the cycling establishment . T here were numerous comic moments , with northern humour interweaved in the plot, and the almost full house was thoroughly entertained from start to finish. T his play will have gone some way , in the best possible manner , to giving Beryl Burton som e of the belated recognition she deserves. The production is directed by Coliseum Artistic Director Chris Lawson, designed by Irene Jade, with lighting design by Will Evans, sound design by Eliyana Evans and projection design by the theatre’s Digital Associate Grant Archer. In 2012, Peake played the title role in Miss Julie at the Royal Exchange, Manchester, [12] and previously played the part of Kristin in a 2000 production. [13] She played Doll Tearsheet in the BBC2 adaptations of Henry IV, Parts I and II. [14]

Peake stars as Miss Fozzard in the 2020 BBC remake of Talking Heads, recreating a role originally played by Patricia Routledge. [39] [40] Personal life [ edit ] Gardner, Lyn (17 December 2015). "Lyn Gardner's top 10 theatre of 2015". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 23 December 2015 . Retrieved 23 December 2015.

Sally recounts that Beryl always maintained her Yorkshire humour; once, as a guest of honour at a British Best All Rounders hotel dinner, the quality of the food was so poor that when Beryl got up to make a speech, she began with “Who wants to come with me to get some fish and chips?”And when over-taking the leading male rider in a 12-hour event, who was himself on the way to setting a new men’s record, Beryl cheekily offered him a liquorice allsort from a bag she happened to be carrying. I had a constant battle to get where I am today. Scrimping and scraping, people telling me not to do it, I couldn't do it. That my life wouldn't amount to very much. Now I might have had a bit of natural talent but I got here because of pure determination and persistence. Stubbornness you might say. I always went that extra mile, pushed myself that bit harder than anyone else and never took anything for granted. The deep Blue Sea". The Arts Desk. 22 February 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2015 . Retrieved 8 April 2015.Cherry Orchard". What's on Stage. Archived from the original on 14 April 2015 . Retrieved 8 April 2015. Raphael, Amy (3 October 2009). "Justice at last for Maxine Peake". The Guardian]. Archived from the original on 10 March 2016.

Peake was born in Bolton, England, [2] on 14 July 1974. [3] She went to Westhoughton High School and Canon Slade School in Bradshaw. [4] A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE - Royal Exchange Theatre". Archived from the original on 10 August 2016 . Retrieved 21 June 2016. Peake is in a relationship with art director Pawlo Wintoniuk. [41] In 2009, Peake left London after living there for 13 years. She said that living in Salford with Wintoniuk gave her the freedom to choose more risky roles and lower-paying jobs in theatre. Only Artists (2018) , meets the musician and performance artist Cosey Fanni Tutti. [88] Awards and nominations [ edit ] YearAged 11, a serious illness left her with a weakened heart. Doctors warned against strenuous exercise for the rest of her life. Peter Gillam was her supportive husband Charlie , happy to do all he could to assist Beryl by helping as her train er, roadie and mechanic . H e also play ed some minor parts convincingly and amusingly . John Elves took several minor roles ranging from the doctor to a n East German police man and had great comic timing . Rowan McDonnell played Beryl ’ s daughter, Denise, who became a cycling champion in her own right, and played several of Beryl ’ s competitors .

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop