Handstands In The Dark: A True Story of Growing Up and Survival

Handstands In The Dark: A True Story of Growing Up and Survival

RRP: £10.99
Price: £5.495
£5.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

In February 2016, Godley joined a group of comedians on a tour of the UK in support of Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn, although she is a supporter of the Scottish National Party. [37] I think so many more people became aware of Janey during the pandemic when she made us cry with laughter at the voice overs on Nicola Sturgeon’s announcements, even Nic was known to comment. Glover, Gillian. "Working in a rough Glasgow pub gave Janey Godley the front to make a success of stand-up comedy - and put dark memories of a troubled childhood behind her, says Gillian Glover". www.janeygodley.com . Retrieved 20 August 2020.

Handstands In The Dark Deals Online in the UK Best Handstands In The Dark Deals Online in the UK

She won an award for the "Best Show Concept" at the New Zealand International Comedy Festival in 2002, and the "Spirit of the Festival" in 2006. [20] In 2005 her autobiography Handstands in the Dark was published. [21] In 2006, she was a finalist for the Edinburgh Evening Times' "Scotswoman of the Year" award. [22] In 2002, 2006, 2008 and 2009, she was nominated as "Best International Guest" by the New Zealand Comedy Guild. [23] Janey Godley (born Jane Godley Currie, 20 January 1961) is a Scottish stand-up comedian, actress and writer from Glasgow. [2] Early life [ edit ]Janey's mother was Annie Currie 'world famous actor and singer, in her hea'd. A storyteller and a template for Janey's own performing, undoubtedly. Comedian Janey Godley reveals she has ovarian cancer". BBC News. 19 November 2021 . Retrieved 19 November 2021. I think this is an example of when an audio book pays off - thought that Janey reading her own story brought it all to life really well (the good and bad). She details her life story in the underbelly of East End Glasgow from the 1970s to 1990s and the book does not pull any punches. In 2006, Janey was nominated and was close runner-up for the annual Scotswoman of the Year title as ‘the most inspirational woman in Scotland’; at the New Zealand International Comedy Festival, she won the Spirit of The Festival Award. Robertson, Linda (18 October 2006). "Last chance to vote for Scotswoman of the Year". Evening Times . Retrieved 19 February 2017.

HANDSTANDS IN THE DARK, by Janey Godley - SoundCloud Stream HANDSTANDS IN THE DARK, by Janey Godley - SoundCloud

A vivid, intimate and darkly funny account of a life less ordinary, Handstands in the Dark tells the story of how one girl escaped a chaotic family and became one of the UK's most popular comedic talents. Solutions, Powder Blue Internet Business. "Janey Godley, comedian: Chortle: The UK Comedy Guide". www.chortle.co.uk . Retrieved 20 March 2017. {{ cite web}}: |first= has generic name ( help)In 1982, when Godley was 21, her mother died after drowning in the River Clyde. Godley believes that her mother was murdered by her violent boyfriend. He was never charged by police for Annie Currie's death despite calls for an investigation from her family. [6]

Handstands In The Dark: A True Story of Growing Up and Handstands In The Dark: A True Story of Growing Up and

On 31 December 2010, her brother Mij Currie died from a drug-related illness. [15] [16] Career [ edit ] a b "Comedian on Jeremy Corbyn's #JC4PM tour has said she would never vote for him". The Independent. 3 February 2016 . Retrieved 19 February 2017. a b Brooks, Libby (19 August 2019). " 'I joked about my life – Ma's murder, child abuse, gangsters': how Janey Godley became the queen of comedy". The Guardian . Retrieved 21 August 2020. Webster, Lauren (8 September 2021). "Tory MSP writes to theatre with 'concerns' over Janey Godley's panto role". The National. Newsquest Media Group . Retrieved 8 September 2021. Godley, Janey (2020). Frank Get The Door. Great Britain: Luath Press. ISBN 978-1910022146. Illustrated by Christina Connelly

Petrol bomb pensioner shows old gang hatreds die hard". The Scotsman. 6 January 2008 . Retrieved 30 September 2017. Solutions, Powder Blue Internet Business. "Janey Godley, comedian: Chortle: The UK Comedy Guide". www.chortle.co.uk . Retrieved 19 February 2017. {{ cite web}}: |first= has generic name ( help) Godley, Janey (2005). Handstands in the dark: a true story of growing up and survival. London: Ebury Publishing. ISBN 9781448117543.

Handstands in the Dark - Godley, Janey 9780091900298: Handstands in the Dark - Godley, Janey

Genre Audiobooks Buy HANDSTANDS IN THE DARK, by Janey Godley, read by Janey Godley - audiobook extract I'm rebelling against my upbringing': Ashley Storrie on being the daughter of a comedy legend". HeraldScotland. 30 July 2017. Multi-award-winning Scottish comedienne, playwright, award-winning blogger, best-selling author and former Scotsman newspaper columnist Janey Godley has performed her comedy shows and one-woman play around the world, including off-Broadway in New York. She is a regular on BBC Radio 4’s Just a Minute.

Summary

Ferguson, Brian (24 October 2020). "Comedy star Janey Godley named 'Scots Speaker of the Year' ". The Scotsman. JPI Media . Retrieved 27 October 2020. Godley began her stand-up career in 1994. [17] Godley decided to use a stage name, saying to her husband: "I don't want to be Janey Storrie any more, because your family let me down, and I don't want to be Janey Currie because my family let me down. I'm going to use my middle name and legally become Janey Godley. The only family who haven't let me down are the Godleys because I don't know them." [18] She legally changed her name from Janey Godley Storrie to Janey Godley in 1995. [19] Godley, Janey (31 December 2016). "My brother's death announced on FACEBOOK". Medium . Retrieved 25 August 2021. In 2009, the New Zealand Comedy Guild nominated Janey as ‘Best International Guest’; they had also nominated her on each of her previous visits in 2002, 2006 and 2008.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop