Devil's Day: From the Costa winning and bestselling author of The Loney

Devil's Day: From the Costa winning and bestselling author of The Loney

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

There is always something unexpected. Something completely out of left field that you never saw coming. Unpopular opinion: I am not a huge fan of reverse harem or any sort of harem situation/trope, but I tried my hardest to give this book a fair shot. And this paid off and I was able to enjoy parts of the story and the trope.

I found myself enthralled with this setting and this quiet cast of characters. Sublimely beautiful writing and vivid depictions of time and place brought the reader to what this book was ultimately about: the interplay between man and nature. There is a power in simplicity and this book is dedicated to that.

Andrew Michael Hurley

While reading Devil's Day, I was reminded time and again of Ross Raisin's captivating debut God's Own Country, which also features a narrator tied to the land and the traditions of his ancestors. John, however, is a far less complex creation than Raisin's Sam Marsdyke, and if Hurley could improve on anything it would be in making his central character a little more flesh and blood. He aims for reticence, an introversion that is unsettled by finding himself in a place where childhood memories and his new experiences as a father intersect, but occasionally one longs for him to throw his arms in the air, to raise his voice, to run into the deepest part of the valley and scream until his lungs hurt. Silence can be good in a novel but occasionally one needs the drama of the overturned table, the slapped face or the unexpected act of madness. I didn't like the resolution of this story, but it was well told and everything hangs together satisfactorily, I just wish Karma had found a different path to get to where she did. Devil's Night is an integral part of the 1994 film The Crow. At a meeting of criminal underworld figures, the main villain Top Dollar ( Michael Wincott) is portrayed as having started the first fires himself, which were later emulated by others. Hurley] beautifully captures a bleak landscape and the feeling of something evil and unknowable in the moors, the hills and the byways ... Hurley's nature descriptions are lithe and lyrical." - Sunday Express (UK) It’s caused by a buildup of uric acid in the blood, which is formed when purines — compounds found in certain foods — break down ( 12).

What initially intrigued me about Andrew Michael Hurley’s novels were their setting. When his first, hugely acclaimed book, The Loney, was published last year, he claimed its setting was inspired by Morecambe Bay, close to where he lived. Hurley is clearly an author who believes that less is more, or at least that a reader should be allowed to use their imagination to create pictures in their mind, rather than having images shoved down their throats. Comencé este libro ya que tenía ganas de leer algo relacionado con halloween, no sabía de qué trataba el libro y sinceramente no lo pude terminar.

How to Celebrate

Gout is another common form of arthritis, characterized by painful swelling and redness in the joints, usually in the toes, ankles and knees ( 19). The setting of "Devil's Day" is every much a character as are the people who inhabit the Endlands. Very well described, the sense of place pervades the entire story. It is a place where children are raised to continue on in the footsteps of their forefathers. A place where little changes over the generations and neighbours are constants in your life, sometimes helpful and sometimes not so much... Devil's Night Fires Decline By More Than Half in Detroit, The New York Times, November 3, 1991". New York Times. 1991-11-03 . Retrieved 2013-10-31.

Maybe you are asking yourself why am I whining about the poor romance development between the characters but also about the unbelievable length of the book?? the love or romance aspect is absent. I felt like it was an on and off switch between the FMC and her harem. I also normally don't like reverse harems because I always end up liking one hero over the other, but I actually liked them all in this book, probably equally too, so I was definitely rooting for them all. The end when they get together happened a bit too fast for me, but it helps that 2 of the heroes are for sure attracted to each other, though they still deny it lol, so I got some MM scenes, which I have to have in RH too. I'm not a fan of when it's the heroine gets to have s*x with everybody, and they only get to with her. Spread the jooyyyyy haha. So ya, the scene where they are all together definitely made me a happy camper.

About Fictionophile

The nebulous presence of the Devil is evoked so palpably in this novel that at times I hardly dared look up when reading for fear of seeing him grinning at me from the chair next to mine' - Literary Review Some scenes are very vivid and quite unsettling, in particular the one where Kat dances blindfolded on Devil’s Day. The Buddha’s Encounter with Mara the Tempter: Their Representation in Literature and Art. Access to Insight.

A slow-moving horror story that asks the reader to consider what may be the truth behind ancient customs and myths, and what secrets a small, isolated community may be hiding from the rest of the world. As you can see, the story is intriguing from the outside. I thought when I was reading the synopsis that pregnancy and the devil reminded me of Rosemary's Baby but it was nothing like it. Of course, there are also conditions directly characterized by inflammation, such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), arthritis and gout ( 10, 11, 12). I remember from reading his first novel, The Loney, that the author has a talent for creating atmosphere and was delighted to see more of the same here. The open moorland, vulnerable to extremes of weather, the often brutal life of farmers in these hills and valleys, the superstitions clinging on in an isolated setting - all come together to make a striking impression. Added to this is a creeping sense of foreboding and danger, fuelled by unexplained incidents, scary folklore and guarded secrets. Tension is high, not least between John and Kat and their very different ideas of ‘home’ and community. Terrifically well done. Similarly, a 2-month study in 42 individuals with chronic osteoarthritis found that supplementing daily with devil’s claw in combination with turmeric and bromelain, which are thought to have anti-inflammatory effects as well, reduced pain by an average 46% ( 18). Summary

By the end of the 2010s, the destructive elements of Devil's Night in Detroit had largely ceased to exist. In 2018, formal support of Angels' Night was ended with city resources being instead allocated to host neighborhood Halloween parties. Devil's Night 2018 recorded a total of five structure fires, with only four on the night before. [15] Devil's Night 2021 saw the lowest totals in multiple decades, with only three structure fires recorded. [16] So the plus side is that this is truly a bully romance for those drawn to that trope. I liked that the characters were open about their sexuality. A couple of the guys like to make fun of Karma's lesbian mothers, but I got the feeling it was just to push her buttons and not that they were homophobes. I found the characters interesting but I never really learn much about any of them except for Karma. But everyone was a combination of good and bad. There was only one character that wasn't really redeemable. This may only be Hurley’s second novel, but he’s already a master of his craft, bewildering and chilling his readers at every turn.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop