Kitchen Confidential

Kitchen Confidential

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The article was a sensation, and the book it spawned, the now classic Kitchen Confidential , became an even bigger sensation, a megabestseller with over one million copies in print. Sure, chefs here in Istanbul probably have different problems, have less sex during service (maybe) and do less heroin (also maybe), I would be willing to bet that the similarities far outweigh the differences. One squeezed the wound till it ran freely, then hurled great gouts of red spray on the jackets and aprons of comrades.

Life provided him with great material to place near the end and then fortuitously added to the structure after publication. The other day I saw yet again that question "which (dead) famous people would you most like to have dinner with? By the late 1990s, Bourdain had become the executive chef at Les Halles, a French brasserie (which had closed because of bankruptcy about 5 years ago) in New York City. Somewhat notoriously, he has established himself as a professional gadfly, bête noir, advocate, social critic, and pork enthusiast, recognized for his caustic sense of humor worldwide. Viscerally, instinctively, spiritually-even in some small, precursive way, sexually-and there was no turning back.My chef friends in New York would have gouged out an eye or given up five years of their lives for the meal I was about to have.

It's easier to have a carapace or facade in the conversations of all/mostly-male groups - there is a way to join in without revealing yourself. This was something of a discovery for a curious fourth-grader whose entire experience of soup to this point had consisted of Campbell's cream of tomato and chicken noodle. I loved everything about this book—from his days of being a cocky young man thinking he knew more (and could do more) than those who had been cooking for years, to his struggles to find the chef's job in a restaurant where he felt he belonged for more than a few weeks. He was like that girl you know in class but have never given much real attention to (only later to discover she is witty, wicked, and everything you want in a lover and fear in a daughter). I enjoyed greatly the first 150 pages of the book, but the last 150 pages I was struggling and dragging through, so be prepared for uneven writing.All the neighborhood kids thought I knew Steve McQueen and John Wayne personally-as an American, it was assurned we were all pals, that we hung out together on the range, riding,horses and gunning down miscreants-so I enjoyed a certain celebrity right away. His stint in Japan at a branch of his then-employer's small restaurant chain, and the overwhelming enthusiasm he discovers for Tokyo streetfood read like the "to be continued" trailer for his TV travel shows that were commissioned off the back of this book. The second thing is the frightening descriptions of his mental state, which I feel were largely overlooked as people were distracted with lushness and brilliant humor with which he described a world of restaurants.

Anthony Bourdain was the author of the novels Bone in the Throat and Gone Bamboo, in addition to the mega-bestsellers Kitchen Confidential and A Cook’s Tour. He did that with self-deprecating humor, and gave no-nonsense advice for people who want to cook like he did - at the risk of deeply offending vegetarians all over the world. In particular, his chapter on his first visit to Japan has all the flavors of what would become his trademark later. Great read for someone who isn’t an avid reader, someone who is or is thinking about becoming a chef or anyone else that appreciates the efforts and lifestyle of the profession. Reading it for the first time more than two decades later, I can't help but feel as though a ghost has leapt off the pages.

I find a lot of the typical behaviour of groups of women tedious and irritating and try to stay away from it as much as I can. Besides the anecdotes about dysfunctional kitchen workers, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly is a sort of biographical account of Bourdain's cooking career. There is a particularly powerful chapter towards the end of the book where he goes through blow by blow an average day in the life of a chef and damn by the end I almost wanted to get up at 5:00 the next day and join him on the line… Almost. Unser Produktfoto entspricht dem hier angebotenen Artikel, dieser weist folgende Merkmale auf: Helle/saubere Seiten in fester Bindung.

Nevertheless, I would recommend this book to all food lovers and especially people who are toying with the idea of becoming restaurateurs or cooks. In this more recent update, he even points out that he learned he was wrong about Emeril Lagasse (as a chef and person, not as a TV Celebrity) and frequently comments that he isn't a top-tier chef because of his own mistakes.On top of that there was the wheeling and dealing, not only suppliers but with owners, bosses, drug runners and other associated people. I'm assuming that, because it's the Guardian, that the change is very patchy indeed and probably with younger teams in urban areas. Ask me to tell you about the time I slammed the head waiter's head in the fridge door, or ask for a kitchen-scar tour of my body. While there are moments of vulnerability, there are more moments of humor, mischief, and tons of information about the life of a chef (at least in 2000), and why some restaurants and chefs succeed while others fail. To enjoy the instant gratification of making something good with one's hands--using all one's senses.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop