Adrift: 100 Charts that Reveal Why America is on the Brink of Change

Adrift: 100 Charts that Reveal Why America is on the Brink of Change

RRP: £14.99
Price: £7.495
£7.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

A beautifully tragic tale of two free spirited young people who dreamt of sailing the world together. The story is told by Tami, who survived a devastating hurricane that claimed the life of her fiancé and left her alone at sea for more than forty days. It’s a testament to her will to survive and her decision to learn to navigate that makes this story so amazing. Nalepka, James; Callahan, Steven (1992), Capsized: The True Story of Four Men Adrift for 119 days, HarperCollins, ISBN 978-0-06-017961-8

She told the San Diego Union Tribune she saw “a guy outside on a boat looking through a porthole...It was blurry. I saw Tami and she had something red on her head - a gash.” Amazingly, Ashcraft still loves to sail and “is a 100-ton licensed captain with more than 50,000 offshore miles” under her belt. Definitely the hardest part was dealing with Richard being gone,” she said years later to the Chicago Tribune. “There were times I didn't even want to live anymore because I didn't know how I was going to go on. I was never going to fall in love again.” A lot of British meanwhile were brought up with the stiff upper lip. You do not show your emotions in public. Much of life has moved online and that comes with advantages. Working online can save you lots of time, not to mention big money on commuting and office attire. It can also help companies hire the right workers, no matter where they live, and do their business more efficiently. We’re also seeing recreation move online, with tech companies investing in the metaverse, a place for ever more immersive online gaming and interaction.This book attempts to figure out exactly what the problems are, why they happened, and if they can be ameliorated. Its focus is on the last 40 years or so, when the postwar era officially ended and Reagan came on the scene. Charts, graphs, and infographics examine various aspects of society, from commerce to our environment to our social lives, to explain what has changed and speculate on how those changes have altered our society. It is always difficult to decide where a story begins and where it ends. However, some experiences—a romantic evening, a weekend retreat, or a voyage—have fairly distinct dividing lines. They are what I call "whole experiences." To a large degree, the first twenty-nine years of my life represent one whole experience that rests outside the scope of this book. But within those years are the seeds of this story. People often ask me how I got myself into such a fix in the first place. How did I know what to do? Was the boat I lost new or had it been tried before? Why was I sailing offshore in such a small boat? The answers to these questions are an integral part of the story, its foundation. The foundation was laid in 1964, when, at age twelve, I began sailing..." Adrift was an incredible tale of survival and resilience under extreme conditions. I love books about extraordinary real-life sagas like this, so I put it on my "to-read" list as soon as I came across it. Steven Callahan, an accomplished sailor, decided to build his own sailboat after he and his wife divorced. Once built, he sailed it to England where he intended to enter a boat race that takes place every year. The race is from England to the Caribbean. The book is a list of issues, using charts to truthfully and effectively describe the facts, good or bad!

Ten years on, she met another man with ‘captivating blue eyes’ at a dance. She went on to marry him and have two children. The family live on San Juan Island, where Ashcraft can be at peace with what she went through. The author touches on a variety of topics, such as education, income inequality, healthcare, and more. For each chart, he writes a paragraph or so describing it. I would have preferred a more in-depth look. It wasn't until the 2018 movie that I first heard about Tami Oldham's miraculous survival tale, the film inspired me to get the original memoir. So why three stars? Well, Callahan is not the most reliable narrator. Once the wild ride is over, the weird inconsistencies that you didn't have time to think about mid-read start to gnaw at the edge of your consciousness. Then there is Callahan's ego, which is big enough to capsize his ship even without a rogue wave. The too careful minimization of his errors, and his tendency towards inflated descriptions of his own epic heroism, creativity, and genius also loom larger the farther I got from the end of the book. But herein lies the dilemma: we also rely on news media to help us navigate the false claims and fake news that spread like wildfire around the world on the speedy pathways of the internet.Robertson, Douglas (2005), The Last Voyage of the Lucette, Woodbridge, Suffolk: Seafarer Books, ISBN 1-57409-206-5 Adrift: Seventy-six Days Lost At Sea is a 1986 memoir by Steven Callahan about his survival alone in a life raft in the Atlantic Ocean, which lasted 76 days. [1] Sailing [ edit ]

It should be looked at subjectively, and although statistics don't lie, how they were obtained can be a bit deceitful. This book has made me want to take a few of the charts in this reading, and go a bit deeper to find the root cause of a problem, or how it has evolved over the years. Callahan departed from Newport, Rhode Island, United States, in 1981 on the Napoleon Solo, a 6.5-metre (21ft) sloop he designed and built himself, single-handedly sailed the boat to Bermuda, and continued the voyage to England with friend Chris Latchem. He had left Cornwall that fall, bound for Antigua as part of the Mini Transat 6.50 single-handed sailing race from Penzance, England, but dropped out of the race in La Coruña, Spain. Bad weather had sunk several boats in the fleet and damaged many others including Napoleon Solo. Callahan made repairs and continued voyaging down the coast of Spain and Portugal, out to Madeira and the Canaries. He departed from El Hierro in the Canary Islands on January 29, 1982, still headed for Antigua. In a growing gale, seven days out, his vessel was badly holed by an unknown object during a night storm, and became swamped, although it did not sink outright due to watertight compartments Callahan had designed into the boat. In his book, Callahan writes that he suspects the damage occurred from a collision with a whale. Kým prišla búrka je pomerne tenká kniha a navyše je napísaná príjemným, jednoduchým štýlom, takže som ju prečítala doslova za jeden deň. No nenechajte sa zmiasť, ponúka toho viac, ako by sa mohlo zdať.It’s clear Ashcraft has never forgotten Sharp but he doesn’t haunt her and instead reminds her that life is worth living. Years after her accident, she took the ring he had given her in Tahiti, attached it to a rose and put it out to sea.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop