Closing the Vocabulary Gap

Closing the Vocabulary Gap

RRP: £16.99
Price: £8.495
£8.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The key to effective vocabulary instruction is to get creative and find ways to bring words to life. The use of interactive mini-games can be used with word lists to do so. Closing the vocabulary gap starts with minding it is there in the first place. Winning the hearts and minds of staff across the curriculum to promote the culture of specific word learning is key in my view – and providing a flexible range of strategies to support both staff and students is a small beginning. Stretch and challenge – children could write the word through applying their grammar knowledge and identifying word class(es). The OUP Word Sparks decodable books programme is fully aligned to Letters and Sounds and supports children with exploring vocabulary and reading comprehension, as well as enabling them to apply their phonic knowledge. It also contains generic activities for children to explore the words in more depth. Children begin by seeing the word being used in context so they can view examples. Uniquely, the selected Tier 2 words are repeated across the programme so that they can see words being used differently. These books can be used by parents, teachers, or support staff for group/guided, one-to-one reading, or whole class shared reading sessions as schools can access online versions. CTVG – 7 Strategies for Exploring Unfamiliar Vocabulary’– this is a companion resource to the SEEC model, offering accessible strategies to Explore an unfamiliar word.

Our school is situated in a rural area with a high percentage of SEND students.We have implemented various schemes and interventions to begin closing the gap.The hope is that by combining the four main components of language (oral, reading, writing and listening) and by employing a multi-sensory approach, we will see an improvement in the use and understanding of vocabulary among our students. I wanted to ensure that this book offered insights and practical solutions for teachers at every key stage and phase.To support this, I have added free resources to my blog to run alongside the book – making it more user friendly. I will surely add to the resources, but you can now access the following at RESOURCES available on the main menu: Rich, structured talk is a solution to closing the vocabulary gap in our classroom. If this is twinned with high-quality reading instruction, then we are well on the way to helping children thrive with any curriculum.

A key strength of this book is that it summarises research evidence for teachers, providing a primer on vocabulary, morphology, etymology, phonics, reading comprehension strategies and much more. In addition to being instructive, it provides flexible frameworks so teachers can develop materials, activities and assessments that will meet their needs, and those of their students.

While music and rhyme are excellent, there are other strategies that can be used to teach a new word. Three simple and effective options are pronunciation (saying the word aloud), charades (acting the word out), and writing (using the word in context).a set of classes or a plan of study on a particular subject, usually leading to an exam or qualification. We can now start to make an argument for the direct correlation between vocabulary knowledge and test scores. Dr. Roger Farr, a former president of the International Reading Association and prominent author and researcher, has said that, “reading comprehension is 63% vocabulary.” (Full disclosure: in 2008, Flocabulary hired Dr. Farr’s research firm to design an instructional validation study for our vocabulary program.) Dr. Farr goes so far as to say, “The size of a student’s vocabulary is the single best predictor of success on state tests.” Understand the language children need to acquire at each step of their education and how to support them in doing that Explore it (synonyms, antonyms, homophones and/or etymology, e.g. Greek or Latin roots, where appropriate). Etymonline.com.

Promote vocabulary that’s relevant for developing disciplinary knowledge across the entire curriculum As Quigley argues, knowledge about words underpins all education and learning. This is because word knowledge underpins speaking, listening, reading and writing. The importance for subjects such as English and modern foreign languages is obvious. But he argues that it may be even more important for other subjects, such as science and maths. Quigley emphasises the high vocabulary demands of the new key stage 2 and GCSE assessments. Such concerns have been widespread in my recent interactions with teachers and researchers alike. James was usually a confident student, bristling with energy - a joker, even - but when I sat next to him and asked him to read, he became quiet and subdued. Pronunciation may seem trivial, but it has a positive physical implication; saying a word actually imprints it on the muscles of the ear and jaw. This is known as kinesthetic learning and should not be overlooked. Beyond muscle memory, saying a word in your own voice can be a first step toward making it your own.

Your thoughts

Leaving such reading to chance is not an option. We need to structure wider reading within the curriculum so that “reading for pleasure” is aligned with improving reading ability. For students like James, “reciprocal reading” - small peer group-led guided reading sessions - can prove a successful approach, helping them to deploy reading strategies deliberately with their peers. Many schools are weaving reading throughout the school day in innovative ways, from form time in the morning to an extended school day, so that students get the vital guided reading practice they need. This book is fabulous (and fully deserving of this long review). It is filled with theory (around 60%) but it also has lots of practical strategies, which I can actually use in the classroom. I am overjoyed and I hope these strategies work because children deserve to be proficient in vocabulary and are able to deal with the range of vocabulary they encounter in the classroom. These children deserve to understand a range of vocabulary and deserve to enjoy vocabulary. I hope this book helps me do this. Featuring advice on using word banks, making links between key terms, teaching etymology and morphology, and vocabulary for exams, the English section also includes strategies to promote reading for pleasure and reading aloud, ideas to encourage word play, and activities and resources to develop students’ written vocabulary – both creative and academic.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop