The King Over the Water: A Complete History of the Jacobites

The King Over the Water: A Complete History of the Jacobites

RRP: £25.00
Price: £12.5
£12.5 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

James dismissed the English and Scottish Parliaments when they refused to approve his measures of religious tolerance, which he enforced using the Royal Prerogative. dead link] Vivian, Erskine and Melville Henry Massue formed the Legitimist Jacobite League of Great Britain and Ireland in 1891, which lasted for several years.

Yet a Stuart rising in England was far from impossible until the 1750s when one in four landowners and many working men were Jacobites.Even the Papacy withdrew its recognition of the Jacobite succession when James, the Old Pretender, died in 1766. By 1685, Catholic land ownership had fallen to 22%, versus 90% in 1600, and after 1673, a series of proclamations deprived them of the right to bear arms or hold public office. However, there remains a small number of modern supporters who believe in the restoration of the Jacobite succession to the throne. Despite his own Catholicism, James viewed the Protestant Church of Ireland as an important part of his support base; he insisted on retaining its legal pre-eminence, although agreeing landowners would only have to pay tithes to clergy of their own religion. The Catholic Richard Talbot, 1st Earl of Tyrconnell, was appointed Lord Deputy of Ireland in 1687, and began building a Catholic establishment that could survive James.

In 1822 he arranged a pageantry of reinvented Scottish traditions for the visit of King George IV to Scotland.Jacobitism was perceived by contemporaries to be a significant military and political threat, [16] with invasions and uprisings in support of the exiled Stuarts occurring in 1689, 1715, 1719 and 1745. However, with help from the excellent ODNB article, written by Dr Paul Seaward, of the History of Parliament Trust (I am sure that we have Antonia Fraser’s Charles II somewhere in the house, but in my current befuddled state, I can’t find it), I learn (among much else) that in March 1646 he left from Pendennis Castle in Cornwall for the Scilly Isles, after the advance of the Parliamentarian army into the West Country.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop