Steve Fenwick: Dragons and Lions

Steve Fenwick: Dragons and Lions

RRP: £13.99
Price: £6.995
£6.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Rugby is a people’s game and then teaching is a people thing, so is repping and so is recruitment.”

Suddenly he was Scotland’s problem. Felinfoel’s finest made 25 metres to halfway, taking advantage of the space that had opened up on the right hand side of the field. Wales go into Harlem Globetrotters mode He was also one of the most influential with his pace and link play: attributes which were to be vital during the Lions’ 1971 triumph in New Zealand. 48. Ken Owens We were sat in the dinner next to each other. Then, all of a sudden, Geoff Wheel said 'Frank, can you dive over here with the pepper and Andy can you dive over with the salt’. And, having led Wales to the 1976 Grand Slam, he would have been captain for the 1977 Lions tour of New Zealand had his career not been cut short.From the first game to the last match of the tour, it was hard going. The quality of New Zealand rugby from the provincial contests to the Tests was of a very high standard, and the itinerary was brutal.” I thought, in the end, now is about the right time because if I don’t do it now I will never do it. So I decided I would give it a go and I quite enjoyed it once I started.

Two years earlier, I was a student watching the game in Cardiff over the fence and all of a sudden you are in there. The passing of the great Phil Bennett on Sunday evening comes after the loss of John Dawes and JJ Williams in recent years. Having signed for the Cardiff City Blue Dragons, he went on to win further caps in the 13-man code before hanging up his boots at 35.When we were playing for Bridgend, he would come up behind me and say ‘Hey, Steve, you and I are going to have to change the direction of this game.’ You could see Bastiat spot him. The ref was the other side, so Bastiat was just dinging Benny at will. It was the speed of a former international athlete which really set him apart. Combined with a deadly chip and chase tactic, it made him a lethal finisher, perhaps best illustrated by his five Test tries for the Lions over two years. He was just electric. 23. Cliff Morgan

You had Cholley, the heavyweight boxing champion of France at prop, all 20 stone of him. That’s a start. They don’t come much bigger. Among a world of giants, this diminutive wing lit up the Test arena through a mixture of God-given talent and tirelessly working on his game. It’s about enjoying what happens at the time and savouring the memories. That’s what makes sport so special.”

Our Supporters

Everyone says that!” replies the 70-year-old Wales great, whose autobiography - ‘Dragons and Lions: My Life in Rugby’ - has just been published. Terry Holmes at 65, a true rugby great who was so good he almost carried a poor Wales team on his own A selfless player, he regularly took a shoeing to protect his team-mates, while he was in many ways the classic blindside flanker, doing so much donkey work, graft that at times went unseen or unheralded but was always recognised by his fellow players. 19. Sam Warburton

Was only 25 when he went north in 1967, going on to achieve huge success in league. Had he stayed, it would have been fascinating to watch his battle with Barry John for the Wales No. 10 jersey.Bennett went over beneath the posts and cradled the ball beneath his chin while on the floor, savouring the moment. Another debutant on that great day, Pontypool prop idol Price, was also at Cardiff City Stadium and joined fellow Roll of Honour member JJ Williams in singing the praises of his former team mate. As well as helping Wales to win the Grand Slam in 1976 and 1978, he also played in four tests alongside him on the 1977 Lions tour to New Zealand A fine hooker who’d been part of the Grand Slam-winning Wales team of 1971, Young had toured with the Lions in South Africa three years earlier and won a cap in a Test. "Jeff was one of those players you always wanted on your side,” Mervyn Davies said of him.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop