Amo, Amas, Amat and More: How to Use Latin to Your Own Advantage and to the Astonishment of Others (Hudson Group Books)

£9.9
FREE Shipping

Amo, Amas, Amat and More: How to Use Latin to Your Own Advantage and to the Astonishment of Others (Hudson Group Books)

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us as soon as possible at the above address. For all ebook purchases, you will be prompted to create an account or login with your existing HarperCollins username and password. Excudent alii spirantia morleus aera, credo equident vivos ducent de marmore voltus” was part of a Latin poem we were taught. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.

I read reviews of the book, and although I didn't do Latin at school, I knew it would be fun to develop the scant Latin I knew and would no doubt increase my vocabulary in English and other European languages. While Harry Mount's engaging little Latin primer isn't likely to be much help to those for whom hic, haec, hoc is the result of a night in the pub, it will succeed in reminding the 'Latin lovers' of its subtitle just how elegant and versatile the language is. But, if you have the vaguest memory of the ablative absolute, the locative and the gerund, you mastery of Latin will spring back to life with Amo, amas, amat.We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system. In the last chapter, the author discusses the lack of interest in latin and the classics in contemporary culture. Highly recommended, especially if you have or have ever had any interest at all in Latin, or in raising your learnèd English to a new level!

Have you ever found yourself irritated when a sine qua non or a mea culpa is thrown into the conversation by a particularly annoying person? In the religious case, it should be noticed that Cicero's On Duty is a fundamental work in moral philosophy and was used extensively by the early Church Fathers. I like birding, reading, writing, organic gardening, singing, playing guitar, hiking, the outdoors, and books.But I do want to redo it because I realised, much later on, how useful it is for understanding so many different words, by using the Latin origins as a filter. In tudor England, Henry VIII read Cicero's On duty in latin at 11 years old, and Elizabeth I translated latin for pleasure.

The language was fascinating, but sadly the Master who taught it was the meanest teacher in the whole school.My Latin basics really were basic and not long lasting, as well as having been a very long time ago, so, I really need to start the basics all over again. In fact it was more of a reference manual indicating virtually every commonly known and misused Latin phrase, abbreviation, and statement as well as their intended meaning and origins.

The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. Ebooks fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook). And it expanded my English Vocabulary enormously…plus it made me able to figure out the meaning of words if they had a Latin Root…. As a foreigner who, fortunately or unfortunately, has had his share of Cambridge university education (and social life) and cathedral choir singing, I found this book quite hilarious is its relentless upper class self deprecatory and stupid homour, despite myself.

Read more about the condition New: A new, unread, unused book in perfect condition with no missing or damaged pages. We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop