The Laws of the Skies

The Laws of the Skies

RRP: £12.99
Price: £6.495
£6.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

For a bunch of SIX (6) y/o, they were incredibly advanced..in more ways than one. There was lots of philosophical inner monologue for one. I don't remember being six, but I sure as hell know I wasn't thinking about the meaning of life and friendships at that age. There was also this weird three-way relationship between this trio where they were 'in love' with each other. What does a six year old know about romantic love? Having a crush is one thing, but to this extent? A brand new collection of short stories featuring the Queen of Crime’s legendary detective Jane Marple, penned by twelve remarkable bestselling and acclaimed authors. Twelve students and three chaperones enter the woods for a camping trip and none of them come out alive. That's not a spoiler, that is in the book synopsis. So I knew this wasn't going to be all rainbows and lollipops but this guy took it so far deeper and darker than I was expecting. It was nearly relentless. The story felt like a children's tale, and the narrator read it as such, but this tale has lots of death. What if I told you that sleep was just a habit? What if the third of your life you spend asleep, you could be awake instead? Grafton is a single dad who works in local radio, but he's always dreamt of being a 'real' journalist. When he gets a whiff of a story - a Scottish commune whose residents believe that sleep is a social construct - he decides to investigate... something tells him 'the Sleepless' might finally provide answers about his wife, Liz, who abandoned him and their son Isaac for a similar cult in India. As Grafton is drawn deeper into the extreme world of the Sleepless, Liz reappears, and Grafton has to race to save both himself and his son... Show book

The Agents takes place at some point in the distant future where humanity, due to economic and climate collapse, now live and die where they work. Designated as ‘‘agents,’’ they never leave the buildings or floors they occupy, instead working ‘‘in front of machines from another century that purr like pets’’ and only exiting their cubicles during designated break times. When they’re not staring at their computers or lining up for a cup of coffee, the agents discuss tactics with the other members of their guild (those not part of a guild never last long). Mainly told in second person (omniscient), Courtois introduces us to Solveig, Theodore, Laszlo, and Clara, who form one of the smaller guilds on the 122 nd floor of Tower 35S. Using their smarts, they have avoided confrontation with the larger guilds. But when the company allows a guild to improve its power-base by pooling ‘‘the productivity potential of its members’’ provided they occupy adjacent cubicles, the intense fight for real-estate means that Solveig, Theodore, Laszlo, and Clara are going to have to do something radical if they are to survive another day in the office. We are sorry! The publisher (or author) gave us the instruction to take down this book from our catalog. But please don't worry, you still have more than 500,000 other books you can enjoy! Land Shark Alex Gonzalez For three young women in Joburg, the new age of internet celebrity presents them with obstacles, opportunities, opulence and a chance at fame, fortune and fierce fashion.by commentators, guest bloggers, reviewers, and interviewees are solely their own and do not reflect the opinions of Locus magazine or its staff. Christmas is almost upon us, with "O Holy Night" and sugarplums and turkeys and goodwill toward men, and here I am, reading this ridiculous, gory book. What, seriously, is that all about??? Something to explore in my next therapy session, to be sure. Ragnar Jonasson knows how to ground the present in the darkness of history and the murk of myth, and The Island, his second in his new Hidden Iceland series, is no exception. In this very Icelandic mystery, a modern-day murder connects to 17th-century witch burnings for an eerie thriller with one foot in the world of horror. Then there's Lebo, who has only ever known a life of fame – real fame – as the former child prodigy behind TV phenomenon Sedi Star. Everyone grew up watching her every move, but now, as she's grown up, the work, roles and offers have evaporated. But her penchant for scandal, controversy and social media squabbles have kept her in the headlines.

Grégoire Courtois lives and works in Burgundy, where he runs the independent bookstore Obliques, which he bought in 2011. A novelist and playwright, he has published three novels with Le Quartanier: Révolution (2011), Suréquipée (2015), and Les lois du ciel (2016). In 2013 he founded Caractères, an international book festival in Auxerre, which he continues to run. Miss Marple was first introduced to readers in a story Christie wrote for The Royal Magazine in 1927 and made her first appearance in a full-length novel in 1930’s The Murder at the Vicarage. It has been 45 years since Agatha Christie’s last Marple novel, Sleeping Murder, was published posthumously in 1976, and this collection of ingenious new stories by twelve Christie devotees will be a timely reminder why Jane Marple remains the most famous fictional female detective of all time. Show book CrimeReads needs your help. The mystery world is vast, and we need your support to cover it the way it deserves. With your contribution, you'll gain access to exclusive newsletters, editors' recommendations, This] novel is about how work, as defined by late-stage capitalism, has gradually become the sole purpose of our lives. " – Ian Mond, Locus MagazineDoctor John Dee and his secret apprentice, Margaretta, using his brilliant mind and her strange abilities, embark on a perilous journey to solve this brutal murder. Before their work can really begin, another body is found. At the end of the day, though, it's probably more my problem, not the book's. I love lit that explores dark places, but this was too camp (ha!) for me. Too gratuitous, too unearned. It probably means I'm not into the genre, rather than that the author didn't succeed at his goal. Summary Les Celibataires, the longest number of the original Comedie Humaine under a single title, next to Illusions perdues, is not, like that book, connected by any unity of story. Indeed, the general bond of union is pretty weak; and though it is quite true that bachelors and old maids are the heroes and heroines of all three, it would be rather hard to establish any other bond of connection, and it is rather unlikely that any one unprompted would fix on this as a sufficient ground of partnership. The Laws of the Skies follows the terrified children as they scatter into the night to escape danger, dressed only in their pajamas. They face their darkest childhood fears and new imaginary threats, like trolls masquerading as boulders and child-eating tree trunks.

Finding the battered body of a young boy was not unusual in Bloody Mary’s cruel England. However, the stabbed tongue, a false seal and strange letter implicate Princess Elizabeth, threatening to bring down the Tudor Dynasty. The author of the acclaimed The Laws of the Skies turns his hand from literary horror to futuristic dystopianism in this unforgettable marriage between The Office, Nineteen Eighty-Four, and Squid Game. Unflinching in its savagery, the nightmarish poetry of this modern Lord of the Flies is undeniable.” – Publishers Weekly starred review on The Laws of the SkiesSummary "The Street" is a short story by American horror fiction writer H. P. Lovecraft, written in late 1919 and first published in the December 1920 issue of the Wolverine amateur journal.

As Lin, Lebo and Mbali jostle to take their places in the fame hierarchy, their ambitions, aspirations and agendas collide. Their wins and woes not only affect one another, but can mean that they either individually rise or collectively crumble. Will Lin's past threaten her future? Will Lebo's (self-)sabotage prevent her return to the top? Will Mbali's reign as the Queen of Gossip continue – or reach a dead end? The choices they make can balance or break their entire ecosystem. I stand ready to fight for my people, but the odds are grim. Hunting submarines with a sailing ship is a new one even for me. Guess I’ll be making this up as I go. Should I fail, those bastards will murder everyone, including the children.Meanwhile, the children are having dinner and getting a really weird bedtime story from their supposedly oh so pacifist teacher. In fact, the story is so bad that all hell breaks loose and the dying begins. arguably unjustified, but his upbringing suggests an explanation. 3. Student Years: “Marking Out the Path to Be Taken” The Laws of the Skies is definitely outside of my usual comfort zone. Based on the blurb ( "Twelve six-year-olds and their three adult chaperones head into the woods on a camping trip. None of them make it out alive."), I was not expecting this to be a light read. But I maybe underestimated just how dark things could get. Pish. Pillagin', drinkin', and wenchin' are a pirate's callings, but don't steal from dwarves—they hate the competition. Spring Cleaning is Antonio Manzini’s newest installment in the internationally bestselling Rocco Schiavone mystery series. Hiding out in a hotel in northwestern Italy after his best friend’s girlfriend was killed, the Deputy Police Chief, who believes he was the intended target, searches the deep forests for the murderer, but Rocco’s grudge-bearing adversaries in the mafia still haunt Alpine Italy.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop