Cambridge Audio Alva Duo - Stereo Moving Magnet and Moving Coil Phono Stage/Pre-Amplifier - Lunar Grey

£9.9
FREE Shipping

Cambridge Audio Alva Duo - Stereo Moving Magnet and Moving Coil Phono Stage/Pre-Amplifier - Lunar Grey

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Many manufacturers currently sell receivers that can receive a phono signal or even make turntables with an inbuilt phono preamp. Truthfully speaking, the inbuilt version is more convenient. It allows you to listen to music with fantastic sound quality with the least baggage in your chain. This is where the phono stage (or phono preamp) comes in. It has two jobs. Firstly, it has the reverse response built into it – one that boosts bass and flattens treble to exactly the right degree, which should result in a tonally even presentation for the audio signal. Overall, 110LP v2 is among the best phono preamps for its uncompetitive price. It dishes out a refined, smooth, and fluid sound with a satisfying punch. Pros Some tests show that a slight amount of harmonic distortion is unavoidable though hardly noticeable. This is because current manufacturers make devices with small distortion specifications. Frequency Response

The Blue Note reissue of Freddie Hubbard’s Hub-Tones (Blue Note 80 Vinyl, ST-84115) is a beautiful sounding record and exactly the type of recording that would sell a lot of Croft units. Really exceptional phono stages should make an instrument like the trumpet come alive without forcing you to reach for the remote because the top end has too much sizzle. It’s effortless to use since it comes with no power switch; the process usage entails plug-in and play. After connecting to the amplifier, a small red LED shines to signify it’s on and ready. The Phono Signature on its own sounds refined and smooth with plenty of bite when required, but adding the updated PSX-R2 power supply takes sound quality to another plane altogether. The scale is even bigger, bass gains more authority, and the precise positions of the performers and instruments in the beautifully layered sound stage are laid bare. The insightful delivery squeezes the very last drop of emotion from a recording. It’s built and specified well, and it makes good on its specification by turning in a low-noise, high-quality performance that plays to vinyl’s inherent strengths. In terms of detail, dynamic headroom and stereo focus, it wants for nothing. A phono stage equalizes the RIAA curve to the turntable’s output signal, restoring its initial shape. Also, remember that you need to buy a turntable preamp with RIAA standards to get the best sound quality.For a frequency response of 20 Hz–20 kHz, this turntable preamp offers a natural and defined rich sound profile.

That being said, I would still rate the sound quality as fairly analytical. Pairing this preamp with a neutral headphone or a headphone with decent mid-high emphasis will yield phenomenal results. For a phono preamp, the Cambridge DUO can seem a bit pricey at first glance. The ability to switch between MC and MM players, as well as the fantastic build and rich sound do much to recommend it, though. If you need cheap functionality, budget-minded phono preamps abound. Few of them will allow the use of headphones via the preamp alone, and none of them will deliver this grade of sound in such a robust and well-designed form factor. Final Analysis A phono preamp, phono stage, or turntable preamp is an audio element for amplifying the signal from a turntable. This way, you can easily connect it to a modern sound system like an MP3 or CD player. Having owned a Croft Phono Integrated for a number of years, I knew what to expect from the RIAA Phono unit, but also expected more from the more expensive standalone unit and was ultimately not disappointed.

The smooth, full-bodied performance, coupled with the inclusion of a headphone amp, makes this stylish box certainly worthy of consideration. Cambridge Audio cruise things like analogue phono stages, that are a technological pimple in the wider electronic landscape presented by digital. And that’s obvious with the little Duo. For this you get a small box that connects between turntable and amplifier (because that’s what they do) so as to play LPs.Yet it’s sophisticated inside, perfectly manicured to do the job properly where most are not. Very little awareness of the subject, I would have to be grateful if I could find here an old model from most of the manufacturers I mentioned above.

Second, the addition of an Auxiliary input restores the input used by the SpinStage when it’s connected to an amplifier that has only a few inputs. For example, a system that includes a CD player or other device may need the input used by the SpinStage. Musical Fidelity also takes pride in its adjustability. Instead of one switch, it comes with two sets of loading plugs behind the chassis. A local dealer suggested that I have my arm and table modified so that I could run a fully balanced rig; which also included upgrading to a balanced phono stage. I sold a few other items to facilitate the changes. Have craving for some good Dim Sum. Nearest place is 35 miles away so I need gas money for that. Please consider donating money using:We love the scale of performance and the way the Vertere delivers the seismic dynamic shifts of the recording with so much enthusiasm. As with the previous generation (also an Award-winner), our main takeaway after hearing this phono stage is that it makes listening to music interesting and, where appropriate, fun. There’s not much we can ask of any piece of hi-fi beyond that. Obviously everyone will have different kit, which will sound different with these amps, and different ears, and tastes, so it's tough to make a solid choice on other people's opinions but in a nutshell, this is what I'd say to those considering these amps: Also, a combination of the frequency response, SNR, and total harmonic distortion significantly affects sound overall stability and quality. Speaker Output

Overall, the iFi Audio Zen phono preamp parts work together to enable vinyl clarity and excellent imaging. Pros Similar to most products, a phono preamp also comes in a wide selection and different price ranges.Here we break down the best of the crop for you to enjoy. Best Phono Preamps of 2022 Comparison Table Phono Preamp Frequency response of the Duo was identical between MM and MC, not always the case because MC sometimes runs out of puff at low frequencies. It has a perfectly flat response (accurate RIAA equalisation) down to 15Hz (-1 dB), below which an unusually steep warp filter applies – 30dB attenuation at 5Hz – impressive. This eliminates loudspeaker cone flapwith warped records. You can read more about how we test and review products on What Hi-Fi?here. Why do I need a phono stage? Sound quality is seriously talented and it comes bursting with texture and insight. It's a wonderfully clean and crisp sound, with more low-end weight and substance sitting alongside Cyrus’s traditional values of precision and speed.Glenn Croft’s passing in November 2022 was a rather sad moment for audiophiles who have used his products for a few decades. Not only was he a very gifted designer but a lovely man. The Croft RIAA Phono Preamplifier is a fantastic product but Glenn made them by hand so we’re likely to see used versions selling for a premium going forward. The Alva Duo is very similar to the Schiit Mani from the perspective that it delivers a warm sounding midrange and a very low noise floor. It offers both MM and MC inputs and a rather propulsive presentation. Some may find the inclusion of a dedicated headphone amplifier strange, but it delivers a lot of power and makes listening to vinyl with a pair of headphones very enjoyable. For further detail, read our full review of the Alva Duo with Cambridge Audio CXA61 Integrated Amp. Marianne Thorsen also playing Mozart – Violin Concerto No4 – had lost its sheen, instead sounding well lit but convincingly balanced and structurally composed in a natural space.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop