The Peter Collins speedway book

The Peter Collins speedway book

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I’ve waited a long while to tell my story and, as none of us is getting any younger, now is the right time,” says Collins, now retired and living with his wife Angela at High Legh. Whether the tragic path he took is ultimately forgivable, I don't know – not my place. I think that's best left to a Higher Power to judge. Or to those he left behind, who daily live the life he imposed upon them. Bamford, R. & Shailes, G. (2002). A History of the World Speedway Championship. Stroud: Tempus Publishing. ISBN 0-7524-2402-5 It is a great joy for me and the Diocese that the Holy Father has appointed Bishop-elect Peter Collins as the fifth Bishop of East Anglia. As the new bishop prepares to come and serve God’s people in this diocese, he comes with great personal, pastoral and theological gifts, and with many years of dedicated service to the Church in the Archdiocese of Cardiff.

Although the racing footage is consistently excellent throughout, the many interviews with Simon are perhaps even more special. He was an intelligent and articulate man, with an ever-present smile and a twinkle in his eye. He was never afraid to ruffle a few feathers, or to gently tease an interviewer. It's great that these interviews have been included, as they're a reminder of what a remarkable man he was. My one regret is that I only spoke to him briefly on one occasion at Monmore Green, when I was a lad and asked for his autograph. He was very polite and always left an impression of being a nice man with a good degree of humility. I also recall, as a young fan, as soon as the Hyde Road gates opened at 6.00pm, running down to the pits at Belle Vue, standing at the wire fence watching and waiting for the riders to walk past, ready with my autograph book. And one thing I recalled was that before getting changed into their racing kit, many of the Swedish riders wore clogs!Dave Harper: I've been reading and buying speedway books for over 50 years and more and I cannot sing enough praise for this book. It is the best I've ever read and, that said, I've really enjoyed some others. It must have taken an unbelievable amount of work to put together. It's incredible, almost as if I'm living it whilst reading it.

Richard Scott: Love the book. It’s how I remember speedway, with PC and all the other greats. Racing was great, saw him many times.Father of two Collins became a speedway superstar during the sport’s last golden era of the 1970s, when it regularly attracted five-figure crowds and he earned more per week than the top footballers at Manchester United and Man City. When Collins won his individual world crown in Poland in 1976, he was cheered to victory by a capacity 120,000 crowd. Andrew Green: I must say I have just finished Peter's book. It is an excellent buy for anyone who was watching speedway in that era. I really enjoyed it.

Tony Mac said: “Peter approached us last year about working with him and publishing his life story and, of course, we didn’t hesitate. It’s a great privilege to be involved in such an exciting project. There could probably be a second volume that just concentrated on the couple of years in which P.C. was a promoter, truly remarkable stuff.I would like to sincerely apologise to Mia Casey, daughter of the late Steve Casey, who died recently of cancer, for the extra distress I have caused her over the personal message I wrote in my autobiography to her dad at an event held in Glossop on November 3 rd last year. With 10 FIM gold medals, he remains the most decorated British rider of all-time. Honoured in 2001 with the MBE, the all-action racer known as ‘PC’ is also England’s most capped international with 154 appearances for his country.

Following six years at the Royal English College, Valladolid, Spain, he was ordained to the priesthood for the Archdiocese of Cardiff on the 14 July 1984. His philosophical and theological studies were undertaken at the Augustinian Faculty in Valladolid, at the Pontifical University of Comillas in Madrid and at the Pontifical University of Salamanca. Norden, Motodrom Halbemond (with Malcolm Simmons / Martin Ashby / John Louis) – Winner – 41pts (12) Collins claims not to know that Steve Casey was ill, yet he has been fighting the disease for several years. Collins' wife knew he was ill. Members of Collins' inner circle of friends knew. Steve Casey was a well-known figure. It's hard to believe Collins didn't know. Maybe it just slipped his mind in that moment of incandescent rage? The 1976 World Champion and one of the greatest British riders of all time has finally put pencil to paper (literally) and written his long-awaited auto-biography. "Keeping It on the Tyres" is Peter Collins' story in his own words and has just been published in conjunction with Retro Speedway. PC, the most decorated British rider in speedway World Championship history with 10 FIM gold medals, has begun collaborating with Retro Speedway's Tony McDonald.I am so grateful to Bishop Alan for the warmth of his welcome and in communion with the whole diocese I thank him for the generosity of his apostolic service over the past nine years. I will undoubtedly be drawing upon the wealth of his wisdom and experience in the days ahead.As I leave the mountains and valleys of the West for the expansive plains of the East, I realise that my horizons will change and that I have much to learn.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop