Todger: Thomas Jones VC, DCM, 1st Battalion, The Cheshire Regiment

Todger: Thomas Jones VC, DCM, 1st Battalion, The Cheshire Regiment

RRP: £25.00
Price: £12.5
£12.5 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Also, in the museum is his helmet with the bullet hole through the front. (I'll try to upload pics of his medals and helmet if I can figure out how to do it) Here in Runcorn we have a place called 'Morval Cresent' - Which was named after the Battle of Morval where the VC was won. Last year (or maybe the year before, we had a new retail Park built and the road up to it has been named - ' Thomas Jones Way' - Again, in his honour. I got the five of them. I stalked through the trench, storming and shouting and hearing the firing and the commotion, the rest of the crowd bolted in the dug-outs. Soon they had all gone to earth and I was there alone. When they got into their dug-outs I had them. They were shouting and screeching, and every time I saw a movement I let fly. A brass plaque to Digby-Jones lies on the south aisle of St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral in Edinburgh. The plaque states that it was erected by his parents and brothers. The 628 awards of the Victoria Cross given for action during the First World War account for almost half the 1356 Victoria Crosses awarded throughout its history; in comparison the Second World War saw 181 medals awarded. Noel Godfrey Chavasse was awarded the Victoria Cross and Bar, for two separate actions in the First World War on the battlefields of Mametz and Passchendaele. He died from wounds received in the second action. [16] Arthur Martin-Leake received a Bar to his Victoria Cross for action in the First World War; he had been awarded his first Victoria Cross for action in the Second Boer War. It would be of interest to ascertain just why Charles and Elizabeth gave their son Albert Frodsham the middle name of 'Ulundi'. Neither 593 Pte William Jones nor Charles Frodsham was present at this battle. One possible reason is that the normal Jones saturnine sense of humour, was underwritten in William Jones VC by a dramatic element that would later see our steady-plodder appear on stage in Buffalo Bill's Wild-West Show, and perhaps Jones was able to narrate the tales of his actions in South Africa with such precision that he impressed the Frodshams enough so that they gave their last-born son this unique middle-name. Another simile is that the writers of this article have found one Edward ' Durban ' Jones on the GRO birth indexes in their searches, this child being born to Edward and Phoebe Margaret Jones (formerly Jones) on 18th November 1899, registered in Denbigh, North Wales . Could the reason that this child had been given the middle name ' Durban ' also suggest a link with South Africa , and that there was a minor trend at work throughout the Anglo-Zulu War period, where children born around this time were given middle names of battles and places associated with these campaigns?

We now need to assess whether Charles Frodsham moved to Manchester with his family, stayed in Birmingham , or died. A search of the GRO death indexes from 1st quarter 1878 up until 4th quarter 1920 reveal 2 possible candidates for the death of an individual named 'Charles Frodsham'. Both Robert and William Jones were gazetted for the Victoria Cross on 2nd May 1879, and he was presented with his medal on 11th September that year by General Sir Garnet Wolseley at Utrecht, KwaZulu Natal. Shortly after this, Jones was posted to India with the 2nd Battalion. The 2nd/24th were present at 'The Citadel', Western Heights , Hougham, Dover , Kent around the later part of the year 1876,then briefly at Chatham , Kent , before they departed for South Africa .593 Pte William Jones and his young wife, Elizabeth Jones, arrived in South Africa with the 2nd/24th,and after some time there, Elizabeth became seriously ill and died. The Durban Death Register, volume 05/01/1868 - 30/12/1881 (no index available), shows death entry number 129,date-of-death 11th October 1878,for one Elizabeth Jones, female, aged 24 years, wife of William Jones, cause of death: Phthisis-Pulmonaris; John Wade, undertaker, Durban; death registered 11th October 1878,certified by CB Jennings, surgeon, AM department. The cause of death of Elizabeth Jones raises a point of interest in regards to the alleged birth of a child to the Jones couple in South Africa, and, her cause of death.'Phithisis' is a Greek word for 'wasting away' and is a lung-complaint suffered by people who On 25 September 1916, during the Battle of Morval, Jones performed an act of bravery for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross. He was with his company covering the advance in front of a village, when he noticed an enemy sniper 200 yards (183 m) away. He left his trench on his own, and crossed no man's land without covering fire. Although one bullet went through his helmet and another through his coat, he returned the sniper's fire and killed him. Near the enemy trench, he saw two more Germans firing on him while simultaneously displaying a white flag. Jones shot them both. Upon reaching the enemy trench, he found several occupied dug-outs and single-handedly disarmed 102 Germans. Three or four were officers, and the entire trench was taken by Jones and his comrades. [1] [2]The First World War, also known as the Great War and in the United States as World War I, was a global military conflict that embroiled most of the world's great powers, [5] assembled in two opposing alliances: the Triple Entente and the Triple Alliance. [6] More than 70 million military personnel were mobilized in one of the largest wars in history. [7] The main combatants descended into a state of total war, directing their entire scientific and industrial capabilities into the war effort. Over 15 million people were killed, making it one of the deadliest conflicts in history. [8] The proximate cause of war was the assassination on 28 June 1914 of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria. Soon after, a system of alliances were activated that would see Europe at war. The Western Front saw the largest concentration of Commonwealth troops with soldiers occupying sectors of the line from the North Sea to the Orne River. SIXTH SUPPLEMENT TO The London Gazette Of TUESDAY, the 8th of JANUARY, 1918". The London Gazette (30471): 725. 11 January 1918.

I was a bit intrigued about how a single man could round up over 100 prisoners so did a bit of "googling" and found the following personal account from the man himself, taken from “The Poona Star” of 24 August 1929. It certainly made me smile......... Now that we have arrived at the year 1901,we must try and take a look at the whereabouts of the now 25-year-old William Jones, 593 jnr, after his departure from the Goddard household. Our man, on this occasion cannot be located anywhere via the 1901 census for England and Wales , so lets try and find out what may have happened to him. After he departed Farnham, 593 jnr may have gone to stay with relatives in Wales , or England . He could have alternatively, joined The Army and fought in the Boer War or WWI.There may have been attempts on 593 jnr's part to reconcile with his father in Manchester , around the time of the late 1800's - early 1900's.It is known that there were other members of the extended Jones family, other than William Jones VC, already resident in Manchester around this time. This year's butterfly house and any in the future could now be cancelled if the butterflies' safety can't be ensured, and one of the organisers of Halton's VC statue campaigns said the vandalism in the park made him think about throwing in the towel on the next statue, which is for Tom Wilkinson VC, who was killed during action in the Second World War. Read More Related Articles The term 'Phthisis' is used to denote TB, or any chronic wasting disease of the lungs; in the case of miners, who were common sufferers of this illness, the word 'Phthisis' is pre-fixed by the use of the word 'miners'. We will now examine the alleged reports, that have filtered down the decades, that Elizabeth Jones died whilst she gave birth to a son. The Durban Birth Registers, volume 14/11/1877 - 20/06/1882 (no index available) shows only one 'Jones' birth during the entire period, namely, 26th December 1878.The child's parents in this case were John Thomas Jones, occupation: Boatman; mother, Elizabeth Jane Cooper, clearly not our couple on this occassion. No other 'Jones' entries can be found, neither any birth related to the surname 'Goddard' in the Durban Birth Registers. The emergence,He came from a long line of military personnel and another cousin, Robert Hope Moncrieff Aitken had already won a Victoria Cross. [4] References [ edit ] A must-have for military historians, enthusiasts, academics, students, scholars and those interested in the First World War Christmas Truce by the Men Who Took Part: Letters from the 1914 Ceasefire on the Western Frontis the largest collection ever drawn together of letters sent home by the officers and soldiers who laid down their guns and shook hands with their foes.

custom_html]The Christmas Truce of 1914 remains a moment of enduring fascination more than a century after the day the First World War guns fell silent. Although we don't know the location of Elizabeth Jones's burial place, we will now deal with the topic of the alleged reports that a son was born to 593 Pte William Jones and his wife Elizabeth Jones, nee Goddard. William Jones, who we shall now refer to as 593 junior, was born to 593 Pte William Jones and his wife Elizabeth on the 18th November 1876,at Western Heights , Hougham, Dover , County of Kent . The details of the birth are as follows: Name of father- William Jones; Name and maiden name of mother-Elizabeth Jones, formerly Goddard; Occupation of father-Private 24th Regiment; Signature, description and residence of informant-Wm (as written) Jones, father, Western Heights , Hougham; when registered-9th December 1876.The name of the registrar is unreadable. Jones is buried in Runcorn Cemetery and his Victoria Cross is displayed at the Cheshire Military Museum in Chester. [3] [4] See also [ ]

The best tribute of all to 593 Private William Jones VC would be for all his descendants, whatever their form to unite together and function as a collective. This should be a time for celebration and re-union. This story has a long way to go before its conclusion has been reached. The next part of the story starts here...Watch this space. Lloyd, Trevor Owen (1996). The British Empire 1558–1995. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-873134-5. They had left equipment behind them to show there was no “monkeying” and though I felt like laughing at being there all on my own, I demanded in a stern voice if any one of them could speak English. He was 35 years old when on 25 September 1916, during the Battle of Morval, Jones performed an act of bravery for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross. He was with his company covering the advance in front of a village, when he noticed an enemy sniper 200 yards (183m) away. He left his trench on his own, and crossed no man's land without covering fire. Although one bullet went through his helmet and another through his coat, he returned the sniper's fire and killed him. Near the enemy trench, he saw two more Germans firing on him while simultaneously displaying a white flag. Jones shot them both. Upon reaching the enemy trench, he found several occupied dug-outs and single-handedly disarmed 102Germans. Three or four were officers, and the entire trench was taken by Jones and his comrades. [2] [3] Here's my list of VC and DCM for WW1 - all British Army unless stated. I've got 30 but as the BBC say 32 I may well be missing 2

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop