Children of the Benin Kingdom

Children of the Benin Kingdom

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

In summary this book is about a girl who finds out her father is the Sky-king and that Papa Eze who is Ada’s guardian offered to look after her for Ada’s mother.

An immersive adventure story, this short novel is a thrilling read for any child who likes to be transported to another world and any reader with an interest in Black history, the Benin Bronzes, West Africa and African children's stories.

Throughout, children will be gathering information and building the skills towards writing a non-chronological report on the Kingdom of Benin.

My least favourite character in this book is Chief Iwe because he treats people horribly and is very ungrateful and rude to everyone he comes across. There will also be plenty of opportunities to practise reading skills and take part in discussions around the events of the story. From the language to the lifestyle, you are taken on a journey with Ada and exposed to the importance of ancestors, voices, and stories.A fast-paced adventure, this story brings to life one of Africa's most fascinating civilizations, the ancient Edo Kingdom of Benin. The book follows the story of Ada, who discovers her true identity and must travel into the heart of the rainforest to heal the divisions that are occurring within the kingdom. A riveting historical adventure… as much about friendship and loyalty and the bonds of family as a quest for identity. My favourite character is Papaeze because he can heal the sick like Jesus but the worst character is chief Ewe because he treats people very terribly.

But when Papa Eze himself becomes unwell he knows it's time to reveal to Ada her true heritage - a closely kept secret that has so far protected his daughter from her enemies. Books for Keeps, children’s fiction magazine “When reading this book, you become completely absorbed into the culture of the West African people … because the story is rich and gripping.The thing that most stands out was the three descriptions of the journey through the forest that Mbe and Ada took.

Children of the Benin Kingdom is the debut novel by Dinah Orji, a British author of Nigerian heritage.The descriptions transported me to Africa, but not the Africa of tourism, safari or famine but great civilisations, of not only great beauty but trading nations, strong customs and I learned a lot about this kingdom. I would recommend this book to my friend because he really likes adventure and this book is full of adventure.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop