Door One

Door One

RRP: £12.05
Price: £6.025
£6.025 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Watch It Burn’s low piano line, new wave guitar riff and great Stacey/Vantsis groove power along as Longdon revisits a toxic relationship with an alcohol-dependent ex-lover. Je peux conseiller Common Ground aux amateurs de rock progressif symphonique, de préférence à ceux qui ont un goût pour les sonorités seventies (mais pas que). BBT released a stunning record in Welcome to the Planet earlier this year, and he and the band seemed poised for a new era altogether. David had also finally, after many years, begun to gain both widespread acclaim and respect, furthermore he had found satisfaction in his life with partner Sarah Ewing.

The album closer, “Love Is All” feels like an emerging from the pain of Letting Go, and finding your place of calm. There are some inspirational musical passages in this mix of songs that were 90% complete as a solo work before he passed. Finishing the album was a balancing act of me trying to honour what we had been talking about but without his ears to say ‘Yes, I like that’ or not.Approaching his debut solo record, Door One, I firmly decided to be as honest and sincere as I could, something I know David would have appreciated and especially due to the care this album has received by his friends. On one hand, it can be tempting to heap praise simply due to nostalgia or emotion, but on the other hand it feels disrespectful to be dishonest. Inevitably the record arrives in the shadow of that tragedy, but to view it solely in that context would do its creator a disservice.

Album bello, ispirato, complesso ma accessibile, la cui qualità riprodotta sul vinile (nero, naturalmente) è ineccepibile e di gran resa sonora.

I was excited to discover a band I hadn’t heard of before who had an unique perspective on rock music, merging elements of prog and folk together and bound together by David’s Gabrielesque vocals. The brooding, piano-driven waltz Forgive (But Not Forget) looks back at one (‘ Our fate perhaps, or were we just ill-matched’), with a grand, expressive guitar solo and overwrought rhythmic variations adding to the drama.

This is a must download for every prog rock fan and thank you for releasing this album in 24/96, it sounds magnificent! This album was completed carefully by four musicians: Jeremy Stacey (King Crimson, Eric Clapton, Noel Gallagher, Sheryl Crow, The Finn Brothers), Theo Travis (Steven Wilson, Soft Machine, Gong), Steve Vantsis (Fish) and Gary Bromham (Bjork, Sheryl Crow, George Michael). Give it a spin if you can and enjoy it for what is is a fine collection of promise and, ultimately, of hope. The sadness of knowing that David’s voice is now silent is eased by the wealth of incredible music he has left us – and this album stands as one of his very best. It’s a good thing to know that this album was 95% complete at the time of David’s passing and so what we are hearing is pretty much his complete vision for this set of songs.To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Gary Bromham: “ Having worked with David on and off for over 35 years, we talked extensively about the influences for the album. Accepting the change that has occurred and facing it bravely whilst keeping the memory alive, even though the loved one has gone. You feel comforted by the familiarity of David’s voice but but refreshed by the direction he takes in some songs.

Door One is a solid album to end his time with us, and it was a pleasure to see a glimpse of his vision for a solo sound. Making Dyble Longdon’s acclaimed 2020 record Between A Breath And A Breath had been a step away from Big Big Train, the band that made his name. When David Longdon died suddenly and unexpectedly from a fall last year, the world of music was deeply saddened.

The final track, Love Is All, is a far gentler piece as David exorts us that love is all that matters and, indeed, it does matter and if you find it then work hard for it, treasure and guard it as love is precious and vital to us all. It’s vaudeville, with a show tune chorus (‘ The stage lights burning so brightly as I stand completely immersed in the song […] I breathe life into the soul of it’), but it’s certainly not naff. Stacey is one of four main musicians featured, along with bassist Steve Vantsis, saxophonist Theo Travis and Longdon’s former band mate from Gift Horse, Gary Bronham who contributed many instruments to the album.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop