Giant’s Bread

Giant’s Bread

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The opening of London’s National Opera House is celebrated by the performance of a new composition, The Giant. The audience was either puzzled or ecstatic about this modernist piece. One man who does not personally like the composition, but can see the genius that scored it, is Carl Bowerman, an elderly and distinguished music critic, who joins the owner of the Opera House, Sebastian Levinne, for a private drink. Despite the foreign nature of the music, Bowerman recognises that the composer, known as Boris Groen, must be English because “Nationality in music is unmistakable.” He states that Groen is the natural successor to a man called Vernon Deyre who was killed in the war. Sebastian politely refuses to tell more about the absent Groen, saying “There are reasons…” She also shared her protagonist Vernon’s intense obsession with the act of creation. In his determination to make music, we can read Christie’s true feelings about what it meant to her to be writer – how it shaped her identity, gave her purpose, and allowed her to express herself. The Secret of Chimneys - The Seven Dials Mystery - Cards on the Table - Murder is Easy - Towards Zero This was described as a novel of romantic suspense and so I could be forgiven for not liking it, considering that romance isn’t really my thing. The good news is that this is an Agatha Christie novel, albeit one written under her pen-name of Mary Westmacott, and so I was always going to like it.

Aunt Nina's marriage breaks up and Walter wants her and her young daughter Josephine (Joe) to live with them, but Myra objects. Fate takes a turn though when the Boer War breaks out and Walter goes off to fight. In his absence, whilst Vernon is away at school, Nina dies and Myra takes Joe in. As a result, Vernon has a playmate in the holidays and the two start to make a circle of acquaintances. One of them, Nell Vereker, is a thin girl who cannot keep up with Vernon and Joe in their games. The local village is aghast when the property adjoining Abbots Puisannts is bought by a rich Jewish family called the Levinnes and, although held at arm's length at first, gradually the family come to be held in a grudging acceptance. Vernon and Joe also make friends with the son of the family – Sebastian, who is about the same age as them. A few weeks before the end of the war, Walter Deyre is killed in action and Vernon inherits Abbots Puisannts, though as he is not of age so it is held in trust for him. A shortage of money means that Myra and her son have to move, and they rent the house out while they move to Birmingham to be near Uncle Sydney. Ocr tesseract 5.0.0-1-g862e Ocr_detected_lang en Ocr_detected_lang_conf 1.0000 Ocr_detected_script Latin Ocr_detected_script_conf 0.9530 Ocr_module_version 0.0.14 Ocr_parameters -l eng Old_pallet IA-NS-2000509 Openlibrary_edition

Join the conversation

Uhm, on a more analytical note, the characters and their stories were wonderfully woven throughout the book. In my mind, none of the characters were just created for the moment and then dropped (which I find happens in most books). Each character had some significance, though maybe briefly mentioned. As a young reader, I did not fully grasp what Christie was going at, and I struggled to find the connection to the prologue. But Agatha Christie is a genius and I can come up with my own speculations, however vague they may be. This is the story of his obsessional pursuit of his music, his relationships, the terrors he experiences in the battlefield and his struggle to regain his identity after the First World War - but, most of all, his final understanding that without creation he has no soul. Vernon never hates himself for his contradictions (only outside observers like Jane and Sebastian can see those clearly). But Nell hates her own guts for her desire for comfort over love (if she chooses a life with Vernon, she’ll barely be above poverty). Nell is simpler but more self-aware; Vernon is more complex but not at all self-aware. This is a hard read because you are following a cast of characters who are not inherently likeable and whom you are not sure if you are supposed to root for or not. Vernon is "a genius", but are we supposed to applaud his sacrifice of all in favor of music? And actually he himself doesn't sacrifice very much, a lot of those decisions are more or less made for him. I guess in the end he does make one active sacrifice but again how much is that just him realizing what his situation is rather than him choosing what his life will be? Sebastion is a respectable character in that he lives his life how he wants to live it, regardless of what anybody else thinks, but he's terribly lonely. Joe is an insufferable little git, but she's often little more than a side character. We don't really get to know that much about her inner life, beyond how she's perceived by other characters. Jane is insufferable as well, but the book frequently attempts to make us feel sorry for her. One of the main male figures in Vernon’s life is his Uncle Sydney, Myra’s brother who is a self-made man who runs a manufacturing business in Birmingham and is someone with whom Vernon instinctively feels uncomfortable. Someone who promotes a different reaction is Walter’s sister, Nina, an artistic woman who impresses Vernon by her playing of the grand piano in the house. This is an object for which Vernon has an unreasoning terror, naming it “The Beast”, as it promotes a hatred of music in his soul.

She wrote the novel in just three days. It had, she notes, been with her a long time. She produced the first chapter “in a white heat”, and then went straight on to write the last chapter, since she knew exactly where she was going. She sums up: “It was written with integrity, with sincerity, it was written as I meant to write it, and that is the proudest joy an author can have.” Takođe, ako niste sigurni da li biste čitali ovo "druge" romane Agate Kristi, bacite pogled na moj gostujući post kod Marijane: https://viewfrommyshelf.wordpress.com... Na kraju mi još ostaje da pročitam Nezavršeni portret, a moja trenutna top lista MV romana izgleda ovako: There are further clues to the real Christie in her second Westmacott novel, Unfinished Portrait, published in 1934, which reads even more overtly like a memoir. The novel is about Celia, who is on the brink of suicide after her husband leaves her for another woman. Many have speculated that suicidal intent is another explanation for Christie’s own disappearance – but that, like Celia, she changed her mind. Celia is saved by a chance meeting with an artist; Christie, arguably, by her art.If you have never read any of Westmacott’s, then this book is a good place to start and I promise you will want to read the rest of them as well, you are bound to find yourself in either Nell, Sebastian, Joe or in Vernon and Jane. Maybe we all can be divided very simply in to a Nell or a Jane. Think about it. Perhaps understandably, Christie’s publishers Collins (now part of HarperCollins) weren’t terribly enthused about her departure from lucrative detective fiction. But they needn’t have worried: Christie also produced her first Miss Marple novel in 1930, Murder at the Vicarage. In 1930, Christie married archaeologist Max Mallowan (Sir Max from 1968) after joining him in an archaeological dig. Their marriage was especially happy in the early years and remained so until Christie's death in 1976. One night, while Nell and her mother are abroad, Vernon is introduced to a professional singer called Jane Harding at a party hosted by Sebastian. He is attracted to Jane, despite a ten-year age difference, and starts to see her, to Joe's approval but Myra Deyre's consternation. Jane's effect on Vernon is to apply himself more to composing music and, to do so, he leaves his uncle's firm. Nell is frightened of Jane and confronts her, but the older, more experienced girl is more than a match for Nell. Vernon finishes his composition and, suddenly scared of rumours that Nell is going to marry George Chetwynd, proposes to her, but she asks him to wait.

This section's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. Please help improve it by removing unnecessary details and making it more concise. ( August 2013) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message)

Sledi priča o usamljenom dečaku koji odrasta u disfunkcionalnoj porodici,o prijateljima-izmišljenim i stvarnim,o čudovištima i strahovima. I da,o ljubavima. Da vam ne otkrivam dalje, Agata, kao i do sad, zadire bez ikakve zadrške u najintimnije misli ovih likova i daje nam ih na tacni. Naravno, dosta toga i sami moramo da zaključimo između redova. Osim što me je sama priča veoma zainteresovala (a maestralno napisan prvi deo bih posebno istakla), ni u jednom trenutku nisam imala utisak da je tempo priče posustao. Jedinu zamerku imam na Vernonova pomalo nekoherentna pisma na kraju, ali s obzirom da je zapao u stanje u kom je bio, u retrospekciji razumem zašto su me zamorila. The review in The New York Times Book Review (17 August 1930) declared, "Whoever is concealed beneath the pseudonym of Mary Westmacott may well feel proud of Giant's Bread. The blurb lends mystery to Miss Westmacott's identity. She has written half a dozen successful books under her own name, it says, but they have been so different from Giant's Bread that she decided to have it 'judged on its own merits and not in the light of previous success.' Who she is does not matter, for her book is far above the average of current fiction, in fact, comes well under the classification of a 'good book.' And it is only a satisfying novel that can claim that appellation. In Giant's Bread there are traces of the careful, detailed writing of the English novelist, and there are hints of Mary Roberts Rinehart's methods of mentioning a finished episode and explaining later how it all happened." The review concluded, "Each figure is well conceived, human and true." [2] The characters are beautifully crafted, and well structured individually. It seems A.Christie showed off her skills to build a character up in this genre which she wasn't much able to do in her usual category.

The Women, personally, stand out for me. The Enigmatic Jane, Rebellious Joe, and the Realist Nell each highlight a different part of being a woman and surviving in an overbearing society. Their struggles, POV, and decisions I find just as relevant today as they might've been in 1930's. I had previously heard the Mary Westmacott novels described as bittersweet romances. The cover of this edition of Giants' Bread calls it a "novel of romance and suspense". I find both of these misleading. This is not a romance novel. It's also not terribly suspenseful, or bittersweet. While there is a lot of emphasis on various romantic relationships, they're really not the point of the book. They're also fairly uninteresting. If you have read my earlier review of another one of Westmacott’s (The Burden) then you will perhaps know in detail why I wanted to read her books in the first place and what I think of the books in general. So, I will not repeat myself here but will say that I am happy that I have read all of Westmacott’s and this last one that I have read-Giant’s Bread is certainly one of her finest! Hitherto, I used to think that Absent In The Spring was the best among the six, but after reading Giant’s Bread, I would day both the books rank alongside as being the finest of her works- two masterpieces instead of one! What a marvelous writer! Christie was hardly the first successful writer to try out new material under a pseudonym, nor the last. We recently saw JK Rowling do a reverse-Christie, essentially, by taking a stab at crime writing post-Harry Potter with her Cormoran Strike series under the pen name Robert Galbraith.urn:oclc:record:1391529843 Foldoutcount 0 Identifier giantsbread0000chri Identifier-ark ark:/13960/s234nsg6zt1 Invoice 1652 Isbn 0008255644 Adding layers to “Giants’ Bread,” though, the Vernon-Nell love (as well as other romantic matches) is destructive in a macro sense. Rationally, Vernon’s music writing would proceed better without the distraction of love. Nell, meanwhile, is wired for a safe life (which she has, during the period when Vernon is presumed dead and she marries a nice, rich man). The Sittaford Mystery - Why Didn't They Ask Evans? - And Then There Were None - Death Comes as the End - Sparkling Cyanide - Crooked House - They Came to Baghdad - Destination Unknown - The Pale Horse - Endless Night - Passenger to Frankfurt Giant's Bread is very concerned with ideas of art, love, redemption, and sacrifice. It asks us to think about the *worth* of things. And the cost of them. And how, or if, those two things are ever connected. The thing that surprised--and pleased--me most about the novel is the portrayal of Nell: she is the woman the, I can't say hero, protagonist, Vernon falls for, and wants to marry. But he is, by this point, obsessed with music and she just wants a comfortable life with a man who'll take care of her. Normally, this type of character gets fictionally reamed: I'm thinking, here, of Rosamond Vincy in Middlemarch or Daisy Buchanan in The Great Gatsby. Anyway, I was fully prepared for the book to encourage me to look down on Nell, especially because there are female characters in the book who make different choices (choices that are usually seen as more admirable and self-actualising, e.g. art, freedom etc. although notably in GB these do not actually seem to offer more opportunity for happiness than marrying a rich dude). But no. I found the book surprisingly sympathetic to Nell: Aunt Nina’s marriage breaks up and Walter wants her and her young daughter Josephine (Joe) to live with them, but Myra objects. Fate takes a turn though when the Boer War breaks out and Walter goes off to fight. In his absence, whilst Vernon is away at school, Nina dies and Myra takes Joe in. As a result, Vernon has a playmate in the holidays and the two start to make a circle of acquaintances. One of them, Nell Vereker, is a thin girl who cannot keep up with Vernon and Joe in their games. The local village is aghast when the property adjoining Abbots Puisannts is bought by a rich Jewish family called the Levinnes and, although held at arm’s length at first, gradually the family come to be held in a grudging acceptance. Vernon and Joe also make friends with the son of the family – Sebastian, who is about the same age as them. A few weeks before the end of the war, Walter Deyre is killed in action and Vernon inherits Abbots Puisannts, though as he is not of age so it is held in trust for him. A shortage of money means that Myra and her son have to move, and they rent the house out while they move to Birmingham to be near Uncle Sydney.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop