3001: The Final Odyssey

3001: The Final Odyssey

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

ABOUT THE SAGA: The entire Space Odyssey saga i Basically, it is a commentary on the society present in 3001 as compared to the 20th and 21st century. Many interesting concepts are explored, including the nature of Solar System space activities. Maravillosas proyecciones de cómo podría ser la humanidad y sus logros tecnológicos dentro de mil años. Quizá demasiado buenismo y confianza en el hombre, me parece a mi, pero bueno, de ilusiones también se vive. The mysteries of the monoliths are revealed in this inspired conclusion to the Hugo Award–winning Space Odyssey series—“there are marvels aplenty” ( The New York Times).

In the endless end-matter, Clarke excuses this last item by saying he never saw " Independence Day (Single Disc Widescreen Edition)," and claiming that he came up with it independently. Actually, this was used earlier in Star Trek The Next Generation - The Complete Fifth Season"I, Borg." And the computer virus was really a modification of a natural virus, which was H. G. Wells's deus ex machina in " The War of the Worlds (Modern Library Classics)"Encounter In The Dawn (1953): Published in Amazing Stories. It was used as the basis for the first part of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Oh, My Gods!: In place of "God", the people of 3001 say "Deus", example: "By Deus - It's full of stars!". Frank notices how everyone cringes when he says "God". Broad Strokes/ Negative Continuity: While all of the novels takes pretty much all of the events of the previous ones in account, each installment also seems to ignore the ending of the previous one. invoked Word of God is that each novel takes place in its own parallel universe. In 2010: Odyssey Two, the Soviet spaceship Alexei Leonov is powered by the "Sakharov Drive", which uses a pulsed thermonuclear reaction to expel its propellant mass (usually liquid methane or ammonia; water can also be used, although it's less efficient). It's implied the Chinese ship Tsien uses a similar system. (Averted by the American Discovery, returning here from 2001, which is also fusion-powered but uses magnetic acceleration, rather than heat, to expel its propellant.)

Jerkass to One: In 2061, classical composer Dimitri Mihailovich is generally friendly and well-disposed to most people, but takes an instant dislike to scientist Victor Willis, and is often rude to him. This is because Victor is tone-deaf * Not as in "he can't sing" — he is literally tone-deaf, i.e. he can't discern between musical notes, which Mihailovich seems to view as some sort of personal failing rather than a disability. As the final story opens we are a thousand years into the future from where the failed Discovery mission ended with Frank Poole being ejected from the spacecraft by Hal and the transformation of Dave Bowman into the star child. Heywood Floyd, Dr. Chandra and the Russian crew of the Leonov are also long gone. The earth and our small galaxy are different places…almost unrecognizable. Jupiter has been transformed into Lucifer, a dimmer version of our own sun, and it shines down on the evolving Europa. Again, instead of ending it just frays away. What plot there is ends, but it's an unsatisfying end.

Customer reviews

This was my experience in 1977, nine years after the film’s release, and I had already seen both Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, which were special effects wonders in comparison. There was just this weird feeling that something happened. The 11 year old that I used to be had just had the second of only two real theophanies I would ever have…the first one occurred when I was six years old. Trouble began brewing in the Odyssey series with the release of 2010: Odyssey Two, in which Clarke decided to abandon all differences between the previous book and the movie version, and act as though only the movie events had occurred. As someone who greatly preferred the book, this disturbed me, in much the same way that George Lucas' constant tinkering with the Star Wars universe irks those fans. The third book brought further unexplained changes, and 3001 continues this tradition; including its protagonist, Frank Poole, having been born in 1996--he went on the Jupiter mission at 5 years old?? Regardless, the story within the novel is the important thing, yes? Perhaps the most amazing thing about this book is not the author's descriptions or ideas of how things will be in one thousand years, but it is how Clarke forces the reader into thought. The fact that this Poole comes from 1000 years before when he now lives begins a thought-provoking discovery. It is great that Clarke is showing the future through the eyes of a twenty-first century man, someone who the reader can relate to because of the time-connection. As the reader sees it through Poole's eye, the reader can feel as thought they were Poole. The specific question raised in the book is how it would be to have someone who lived in the 1000s to suddenly appear in the 2000s. Think of all the changes humans have gone through it just the last 100 years. Considering that, now how will our world look in the year 3000. Will people be: brighter or dumber, taller or shorter, more dependent or less dependent on technology? Clarke does a good job of answering questions like that and making his prophecy of one thousand years from now seem at least somewhat correct in its logic and technological theories. The reader is drawn to consider all of mankind and how we have grown in search for God, education and brainpower, and how we will continue (or not continue to grow). Civilization for humans can be seen as a large exponential function. At the beginning of man it took quite a while for our first ancestors to greatly contribute to the rest of mankind. As time went on more and more each civilization came up with more and more inventions to help the world. Yet in just the last 100 years, the advances we have made have been "astronomical" toward every person's life and items. Pero....¿qué pasaría si nuestros "creadores" no estuvieran contentos con el resultado final de su experimento? ¿y si no les gustara la deriva que han seguido los humanos en los últimos siglos? ¿Y si la información que les hacen llegar los monolitos, sus centinelas, no está actualizada, o llega con mucho retraso? ¿Y si los monolitos empiezan a estar un poco fuera de control y quieren priorizar sus propias creaciones?

Heywood Floyd's role in 2061 is referred to in 3001, but at the end of 2061 he was "copied" by the Monolith and joined Bowman and Hal as custodians of the Europans. There is no sign that he is part of "Halman" in 3001. This is one of my favorite books of all time because of its brutal and humbling honesty. I couldn't have chosen a better coda for the 2001 storyline, it left me absolutely breathless. The Sentinel (1951): It was originally written for a BBC competition and it failed, it got published in the Ten Story Fantasy magazine as Sentinel Of Eternity. It was used as a starting point for 2001: A Space Odyssey. And because, in all the Galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere. They became farmers in the fields of stars; they sowed, and sometimes they reaped. And sometimes, dispassionately, they had to weed.Fourth in Clarke's Odyssey series (2061: Odyssey Three, 1987, etc.). Here, at the beginning of the fourth millennium, the vacuum-frozen body of astronaut Frank Poole (murdered by poor mad computer HAL in the original 2001) is recovered and revived. Frank awakens to find he's a celebrity in an age of peace and plenty, with space elevators, inertia-less space drives, and miraculous teaching devices. Frank visits Jupiter (transformed into the mini-sun Lucifer in 2010: Odyssey Two) and ponders its ice-moon Europa, where a giant monolith is attempting to develop intelligence among the native lifeforms. And he meets that strange entity composed of Star Child Dave Bowman fused with a copy of now-sane HAL. Dubbed Halman by Frank, the entity warns of bad news arriving from the monolith's guiding intelligences 450 light-years distant: They've decided to destroy humankind. Europa's monolith, though, is just a supercomputer, not intelligent or self-aware, so Frank's associates decide to use Halman as a Trojan horse to infect the monolith with an irresistible computer virus—whereupon all the monoliths vanish. Clarke, while never uninteresting, long ago abandoned drama; here, he simply reports, with the dispassionate precision of HAL before he went bananas. Amicably Divorced: Poole's marriage to and eventual divorce from Indra is a form of this. They are said to have managed to stay friends afterwards. What I've always admired about Arthur C. Clarke's writing is the sheer poetry he managed to meld so successfully with the narrative. The city glowing like a jewel on the desert in "The City and the Stars." The arrival of our primal fears in "Childhood's End." The wonder of the artifact in "Rendevouz with Rama." The book hasn't aged well in the 25 years since I last read it in 1998. No one seems to take vacuum-energy speculations seriously these days. Clarke's speculations about an inertia-less space drive remain an unlikely SF dream. But the space-elevator project should be do-able at some point, perhaps some centuries from now, as the book suggests. And rounding up ice from the outer solar system to (for example) terraform Venus is a solid speculation. And who knows what other scientific and engineering discoveries will be made a few centuries from now?

HAL is probably the most famous example of all time. His erratic behavior in 2001 is explained in 2010 as the result of a programming conflict. Essentially, HAL was programmed to 'be truthful', then told to hide the actual goal of the mission from the astronauts that were awake; something of a lie by omission. HAL eventually decided that since it could largely run the ship through automation, and already knew everything anyway, getting rid of all of the astronauts meant no one to lie to. Not being clear on the idea that "being shut down to troubleshoot HAL's increasingly contradictory reports" doesn't equal death (and risking the mission) didn't help. The Romeo of the Cosmos little, big, Pluto... But I digress after waking up the astronaut discovers he's living in a space elevator. One of four on Earth and towering above it a dizzy 22,000 miles high, looking from above seeing the planet changed immensely as he is astonished. The main character of the show is Frank Poole, a former astronaut who was killed in the first book of the series. He is revived in the year 3001 and finds himself in a world that is vastly different from the one he remembers. Poole is a curious and adventurous character who is eager to explore the galaxy and discover new life forms.if any readers of the earlier books feel disoriented by such transmutations, I hope I can dissuade them from sending me angry letters of denunciation by adapting one of the more enduring remarks of a certain U.S. President: 'It's fiction, stupid!' . . . And it's all my own fiction, in case you hadn't noticed."

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop