The Guv'nor: The Autobiography of Lenny McLean

The Guv'nor: The Autobiography of Lenny McLean

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Thompson, Tony (22 February 2004). "Novel lifts the lid on secrets of gangland". The Observer– via www.theguardian.com. Aged five, she was repeatedly sexually abused by a teenage female who lived nearby. She lured Kelly to her bedroom under the ­pretence of playing ­“nurses and doctors” ­before pouncing. Kelly and her partner Scott Richardson, 45, left the East End after her mum Val also ­succumbed to lung cancer in 2007. They now live a quiet life in rural Essex. McLean's pugilist reputation began in the East End of London in the late 1960s and was sustained through to the late 1980s. He stated in his autobiography that he had been involved in between 2,000 and 3,000 unlicensed fights. In his prime, the 6-foot-3-inch (191cm) tall McLean weighed over 20 stone (280lb; 130kg) and was considered the "unofficial heavyweight champion of Great Britain". [1] In 1992, McLean released an album of Elvis Presley covers. The album was entitled Lenny Sings.... He claimed "The King meets The Guvnor. It's sure to be a winner." His lead single "Blue Suede Shoes" failed to break into the top 200 and the album was subsequently scrapped. [ citation needed] Acting career [ edit ]

But it makes for a riveting read. I only opened the book out of idle curiosity at 6.30pm. By 10pm I had finished it and was looking around wondering why I hadn't eaten dinner and why it was I had to be in bed when I was still taking in the details of his murder trial.He was also stabbed repeatedly - always from behind. But Lenny was also a warm, big-hearted grizzly bear of a man, whose main weakness was an overwhelming desire to put the welfare of his mates ahead of his own wellbeing. Find sources: "Lenny McLean"– news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR ( April 2022) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message) Lenny 'The Guv'nor' McClean 'treated kindness with kindness and violence with extreme violence' ". Islington Gazette. Zoe Paskett . Retrieved 7 February 2018. With his fame as an unlicensed boxer, McLean became known as "The King of Bouncers" around many of the clubs and pubs in London. He held joint ownership of a public house in the East End of London named the "Guv'Nors" along with Charlie Kray, elder brother of the Kray twins, reputed to be the "most legitimate" of the three brothers.

Kelly, Guy (7 October 2016). "How Lenny McLean became the hardest man in Britain". The Telegraph– via www.telegraph.co.uk. Thomas, Anthony (2007). The Guv'nor – Through the Eyes of Others: Lenny McLean was a living legend. These are the true stories of the people whose lives he touched. John Blake. ISBN 9781786064141.His most serious trial came when he was accused of murder. Fighting to prove his innocence against a minimum sentence of twenty-five years, Lenny never gave up – and went on to be found not guilty. His daughter never breathed a word about the violation until she had a nervous breakdown two years ago and told a therapist. I would recommend this book to anybody because the book is very very very very well written and I'll be honest it is a heartbreaking book to read. This is not just for the criminal. During his teenage years, McLean mixed with various local criminals. He was arrested for petty crimes and served 18 months in prison. [9] After he was fired from his first legitimate job for beating up his foreman, he worked odd jobs. By the age of fifteen, McLean realised he could earn a living from fighting and pursued it as his main means of income.

In his teens he started to rub shoulders with figures in London’s criminal underworld and became a feared nightclub enforcer and a friend of the Krays. The majority of the book was overshadowed by his underlying issues with his stepfather and the loss of his father. McLean, who in his prime was sixfeet threeinches (191cm) tall and weighed over 20 stone (280lb; 130kg), boasted that he could beat anybody, in either a legitimate match or in an unlicensed match with or without gloves. He reputedly sent out challenges to many of the famous boxers of the day, including Muhammad Ali and Mr. T, though neither contest materialised. McLean lost some face as he was challenged by the "King of the Gypsies" Bartley Gorman, but did not accept the fight. He was offered a fight with professional boxer David "Bomber" Pearce, the hard-hitting British heavyweight champion from Newport. McLean declined to fight Pearce, he later commented that was the only time in his career he had doubts. [11] Ide, Wendy (9 October 2016). "The Guv'nor review – unsettling hardman documentary". The Observer– via www.theguardian.com. He said, ‘I don’t want to see a dry eye, I want to see you all sobbing.’ He loved the attention, probably because he got none growing up.”There were times I hated him and I looked at him like he was a bully. It got to the stage where I couldn’t even laugh at his jokes. We did live in fear of him, but I didn’t understand he had this condition.

The hardest man in Britain' batters rival fighter in unearthed clip from new Netflix doc". The Daily Star . Retrieved 7 February 2018.Within few days this book can be read such terrific story is very enjoying people to walk through." His most serious trial came when he was accused of murder. Fighting to prove his innocence against a minimum sentence of 25 years, Lenny never gave up - and went on to be found not guilty. Lenny died before the premiere of the film, which was dedicated to his memory. Kelly said: “Guy Ritchie came round my mum’s when my dad was ill. As a joke he said, ‘Whatever you do, don’t die before we make the next movie.’ The ­nightmare has haunted Kelly during her adult life, causing her to self harm and develop anorexia. But Lenny went to his grave without hearing of her ordeal.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop