Almond: A Novel

Almond: A Novel

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The whole rebellious kid ( You’re stupid because you know too much) having a heart of gold when he is finally “seen” in by an outsider is for instance something that I have see much too often. He does have good quotes, like: If I can’t protect myself from being hurt I rather hurt other people. but he is really a bad boy as well, as animal abuse needs to drive home to the reader. People shut their eyes to a distant tragedy saying there’s nothing they could do, yet they didn’t stand up for one happening nearby either because they’re too terrified. Most people could feel but didn’t act. They said they sympathized, but easily forgot. The way I see it, that was not real. I didn’t want to live like that.” I had so many thoughts when I read this book and a lot of them had to do with the way Yunjae was raised. I know his mother and grandmother only had the best intentions and wanted him to blend in with everyone, but I think to some extent their constant efforts made it even more difficult for him to deal with his condition. Emotions are something you can’t learn because human feelings are very complex and some people will cry because they are happy while others will laugh even though they are sad. You might be able to explain the general reasons behind behaviour like crying but every person is an individual and we all react differently when we’re overwhelmed by our feelings. The fine nuances of emotions... well they are something you can’t learn. So even though I understood where Yunjae’s mother was coming from I still didn’t agree with her methods. It felt like Yunjae was under a lot of pressure to learn “the proper reactions” and I kinda felt sorry for him.

Almond: A Novel by Won-pyung Sohn | WHSmith

The last part of the book is unbelievable as well. Too cutesy and neat of an ending. It didn't make sense and I didn't buy it. Plus I’m a huge fan of BTS and I can easily connect this with a book! Because if you know BTS and watched their show “In the Soop” you’ll know that RM as well as SUGA read “Almond” during the show. ;-) So this is the perfect choice for “read a book recommended by a Korean celebrity”!Anyway, this sounds cliche but you'll eventually meet the people who you're meant to meet, no matter what happens. Time will tell if your relationship with him is meant to be.” This book is why I love international books. They’re always so different from what is traditionally published here in America and I find that so refreshing. Book Genre: Asian Literature, Audiobook, Contemporary, Fiction, Literary Fiction, Mental Health, Young Adult

Almond Quotes by Sohn Won-Pyung - Goodreads Almond Quotes by Sohn Won-Pyung - Goodreads

I've decided to confront it. Confront whatever life throws at me, as I always have. However much I can feel, nothing more, nothing less.”

I loved the juxtaposition between the two main characters. Their dynamic was so fascinating. A boy that feels nothing meets a boy who feels too much. I loved the way this was put, because it sums up their different personalities and essence so well. With Dora Yunjae discovered the soft feelings of first love and attraction and with Gon he learned about true friendship and hardships. Some might say Gon was a catalyst and I’m inclined to agree with that, but I also think that Dora’s appearance was at least as vital to Yunjae’s development as Gon’s. Both played a very important part in the MCs life and contributed to his experiences. Ron Rash is renowned for his writing about Appalachia, but his latest book, The Caretaker, begins ... This was a very compelling read. I finished the book within a day — I was unable to put it down. My copy has since been riddled with highlights and notes scribbled in the margins.

Almond: A Novel - Won-pyung Sohn - Google Books Almond: A Novel - Won-pyung Sohn - Google Books

Yunjae was born with a brain condition called Alexithymia that makes it hard for him to feel emotions like fear or anger. He does not have friends—the two almond-shaped neurons located deep in his brain have seen to that—but his devoted mother and grandmother aren’t fazed by his condition. Their little home above his mother’s used bookstore is decorated with colorful post-it notes that remind him when to smile, when to say “thank you,” and when to laugh. Yunjae grows up content, even happy, with his small family in this quiet, peaceful space. Yunjae tiene 16 años y aunque se encuentra en ese momento de la adolescencia donde los sentimientos se vuelven más intensos, él no puede sentir nada. Las amígdalas de su cerebro son tan pequeñitas como una almendra y esto lo hace incapaz de sentir. Su cuerpo puede sentir frío o calor, y también dolor físico, pero no es capaz de entender sentimientos como el miedo, la felicidad o la tristeza. Desde pequeño su madre le ha enseñado a fingir estos sentimientos para encajar en la sociedad y que nadie lo rechace por ser diferente. Pese a todo vive en un hogar reconfortante junto a su madre y su abuela, un lugar seguro donde es protegido del mundo exterior. People sometimes say how cool it’d be to be fearless, but they don’t know what they’re talking about. Fear is an instinctive defense mechanism necessary for survival. Not knowing fear doesn’t mean that you’re brave; it means you’re stupid enough to stay standing on the road when a car is charging towards you.” Not a fan of so many things regarding the main or side characters. However, considering how intrigued I was the whole time I am giving this fiction a perfect rating. From what I understood, love was an extreme idea. A word that seemed to force something undefinable into the prison of letters. But the word was used so easily, so often. People spoke of love so casually, just to mean the slightest pleasure or thanks.”Amygdala" is one of my favourite words. I love how it looks and love how it sounds. For the longest time, when I saw it in books, I pronounced it "Am-ig-DAL-YUH. That doesn't sound very nice and I didn't like the word. But when I heard the proper way, "Uh-MIG-da-lah".... it just set off oodles and scads of feel good hormones We’re taking part in this year’s #Koreadathon which is hosted by monica kim and books with chloe! It’s the first time I’m actually taking part in a readathon so I’m very excited. XD To be honest, I couldn’t have cared less. Whether I was normal or not made little to no difference. To me, it was as subtle as the differences in the nuance of the words.” Almendra" me ha recordado a "Flores para Algernon". En este caso un protagonista (Yunjae) al que sus amígdalas cerebrales ("Almendras") no se han desarrollado del todo, impidiéndole experimentar los sentimientos o de leerlos en los demás. Esto dificultará sus relaciones personales en su día a día. Life goes on. The Author’s Note reminded me of a book I read, Birds Art Life Death written by Kyo Maclear. This book encourages readers in learning to appreciate the small and the significant. In a world that values big and fast, the protagonist looks towards the small, steady, and slow.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop