Work Hard & Be Nice to People

Work Hard & Be Nice to People

RRP: £9.99
Price: £4.995
£4.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Geurts B. Making sense of self talk. Rev Philos Psychol. 2018;9(2):271-285. doi:10.1007/s13164-017-0375-y I've been interested in the KIPP (Knowledge is Power) schools as an alternative model, since they appear occasionally in the educational media. This book gives a great history of how two former Teach for America teachers developed a national organization of schools -- lots and lots of time invested, lots of challenges from bureaucracy, lots of unexpected bumps. It took a lot of energy and a lot of commitment, and it looks like it works really well for some kids. The critics jump on that "some kids" part, pointing at the high attrition rate and so on, but given the low-income, crummily schooled population they're usually dealing with, some is certainly better than none, which is the default. I would describe my signature visual style as simple, direct and truthful. My work is positive propaganda that promotes an open and inquisitive approach to life and work. I’m happiest when I’m working on a new piece – I love feeling the energy of new ideas. Mathews makes the claim that KIPP schools are the best model of raising students to new heights of achievement by doing the most to overcome poverty, apathy, and racial and class bias. While there are critics of KIPP and critics of Mathews' claim, the one message I took from the book that I hope will receive critical thinking - how do we ensure that our public schools can take the most advantage of the groundbreaking ideas educators are discovering?

Last year I was teaching a course on education policy to forth year Bachelor of Education students. Sort of a lightning tour of education policy in Australia with some references to what is happening overseas and what impact that might have on the Australian education system. As part of that I showed the students a Ted Talk by Bill Gates – part of this one: Raposa EB, Laws HB, Ansell EB. Prosocial behavior mitigates the negative effects of stress in everyday life. Clinical Psychological Science. 2016;4(4):691-698. doi:10.1177/2167702615611073This was teaching to the test, a practice that would become increasingly controversial as states like Texas, and then the federal government, required annual examinations for all public school students. Critics said tailoring lessons to what was going to be on a state test narrowed the curriculum and hurt students. Supporters, including Levin and Feinberg, said the practice was simply review of skills and concepts that state test makers — most of them teachers — had decided were important for students to learn. No one ever complained when classroom teachers had students review topics that were going to be on their own tests, so what was wrong with preparing students for state tests? Repetition was one way that people learned, including pilot trainees, novice golfers, foreign language students, and fifth graders.” You gotta read, baby, read.You gotta read, baby, read.The more you read, the more you know, ‘Cause knowledge is power,Power is money, and ere are some interesting thoughts from Margaret Paynich, a long-standing contributor to this blog, about Jay Mathews' KIPP book: My favourite film is A Matter of Life and Death directed by Powell and Pressburger, starring David Niven. It’s a strange and affecting tale that’s visually rich and inventive, with a premise that never seems to date. If you haven’t seen it, watch it!

Esquith has accomplished a great deal with his 5th graders. Unabridged Shakespeare shows every year, trips around the world, students in Ivy League schools, & high test scores. But what I like most about him is his approach to discipline & classroom management. He uses Kohlberg's Levels of Morality, & challenges his kids to be level six thinkers. (Level six thinkers have a pesonal code of behavior & follow it.) He expends tremendous amounts of energy teaching his children the meaning of character. Best of all, he teaches by example. He tries his best to walk the walk, (& tells about all the bumps in the road when he messed up) in spite of the crazy education bureaucracy he has to deal with. It is possibly the most important thing he teaches. I found Levin and Feinberg at times to be a little on the douchey side. Putting your feet up on MY desk? You must be out of your mind. One of the things that Gates says about KIPP schools is that they have had remarkable success in educating these underprivileged children, often raising their standardised test scores by unheard of amounts. There has been lots of research on KIPP – some of that research has been done by Darling-Hammond, and I found it interesting that she was even mentioned in the book – let’s be completely upfront here, this book is a hagiography, it is the American dream written large – a couple of punks have a dream, a dream of perfecting the education system for poor people, they don’t quite know what they are doing, but they know something needs to be done and, like a couple of momma bears (one of them actually describes themselves as a momma bear) you don’t want to come between them and their babies. The problem is that while the ‘system’ may not be actually corrupt, it is rotten to the core (the common core) and so if you want to change it you just have to work around it – lie, cheat, steal – you are on the right side and so everything is justified.

Retailers:

The song that makes me instantly happy is The Dance by Rhythim Is Rhythim. I love the bold simplicity of the groove and the throbbing bass. I challenge you not to dance to it! The book chronicles the journey of two white young privileged guys, Mike Feinberg and Dave Levin, who end up creating one of the most successful charter schools for underprivileged kids in America. They call their schools KIPP, an acronym for a chant they have their student perform: The exceptionally long hours of the school day. I was stressed just reading about the 7:30am-5pm school day. This would be active school and teaching. Not just staying late to make copies or reviewing your lesson plans. Talk about an early burn out. While I consider myself motivated and excited, this would have killed my enthusiasm. Emmons RA, Stern R. Gratitude as a psychotherapeutic intervention. Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2013;69(8):846-855. doi:10.1002/jclp.22020

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop