Sexy But Psycho: How the Patriarchy Uses Women’s Trauma Against Them

Sexy But Psycho: How the Patriarchy Uses Women’s Trauma Against Them

RRP: £16.99
Price: £8.495
£8.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Whether it is women reporting cancer symptoms or raising concerns about botched vaginal mesh surgery that has caused them serious health complications, research shows that they are still much more likely to be ignored, minimised or diagnosed with mental health issues. Partially, this will be due to medicine and much of science being based on men and male bodies, with women and female bodies still being seen as too complicated and too much of a variable to be included in medical trials. Eaton, Jessica (12 December 2019). 'Logically, I know I'm not to blame but I still feel to blame': exploring and measuring victim blaming and self-blame of women who have been subjected to sexual violence. etheses.bham.ac.uk (d_ph) . Retrieved 10 July 2020.

The overall argument about the need to have a more trauma-informed approach, and that, in comparison to the medical diagnosis-prone approaches, it is more humanising, ethical, and effective. Diagnoses are shortcuts that might be neither useful, nor efficient. Medications aren’t cure-alls. Aside from the case studies and contributors stories, one of the more disturbing elements (for me) was recognition of how easy it is to slip into pathologisation, victim-blaming and self-blaming of and by ourselves, unintentionally and unnoticed, because we’re so indoctrinated and conditioned to accept the medical model of psychiatry.It’s true that many of the responses we’ve pathologised into symptoms of mental illness are actually natural and rational reactions to trauma and distress, and it’s true that diagnoses of these mental illnesses are, too often, used to undermine, discredit, discriminate against, and section those diagnosed with them - disproportionately, women.

Taylor grew up in a council estate in Stoke-on-Trent. [3] She said that she was repeatedly sexually and physically abused as a teenager by men in her town, which she kept hidden from her family. As the result of her repeated rapes, Taylor gave birth to her first child at the age of 17 and reported her abuse to the police. [3] Career [ edit ] In 2019, Taylor completed her PhD in forensic psychology from the University of Birmingham with a thesis titled ‘Logically, I know I'm not to blame but I still feel to blame’: exploring and measuring victim blaming and self-blame of women who have been subjected to sexual violence. [9] While working towards her doctoral degree, Taylor was appointed to Chair of the Parliamentary Conference on Violence Against Women and Girls. [10] Upon finishing her doctoral research, Taylor became a Senior Lecturer in Criminal and Forensic Psychology at the University of Derby. [11] [12] She was later recognized for her "contribution to the psychology of victim blaming of women, her work in mental health and her contribution to feminism" by the Royal Society of Arts. [13] The Little Orange Book: learning about abuse from the voice of the child. OCLC 1054886898 . Retrieved 11 July 2020– via worldcat.org. Jessica Eaton – Individual Award Nominee – 2018". emmahumphreys.org. 19 January 2019 . Retrieved 10 July 2020.

Tracking delivery

Many of us become aware as the years pass that supporting or passively accepting the psychiatric labelling of women and girls will harm them in the long run. They may feel better temporarily, whilst they feel in control, empowered and informed that they have been given a formal diagnosis and prescription which ‘validates’ their ‘mental health’, but what will really happen is that they will be pathologised, judged, stigmatised and treated as though they are going to be mentally ill for the rest of their lives. Knox, Kirsty Blake (26 March 2022). "Britney was called crazy but men have done much worse". Irish Independent . Retrieved 29 April 2022. Author of victim-blaming book targeted by misogynist trolls". The Independent. 25 April 2020 . Retrieved 9 June 2022. We are a product of all of our millions of experiences in life. However, trauma is a lifelong journey and it will impact women in different ways throughout the lifespan.

Women are not responsible for being victims of sexual assault, rape or domestic violence. They do not need to learn how to not date shit men. Men need to not be shit. That said, it's fairly obvious why this isn't an academic publication. There is a reference list at the end of the book and a few studies cited throughout, but not enough to buttress her arguments. There is no separate works cited or even an annotated bibliography. PhD student announced as Chair of the Parliamentary Conference on Violence Against Women and Girls". birmingham.ac.uk. 5 September 2017 . Retrieved 11 July 2020.Is psychiatry really just ‘patriarchy with a prescription pad’? When I started reading Sexy But Psycho I thought this was perhaps a bold claim but Dr Taylor is able, emphatically and decisively, to demonstrate that this is far more than a ‘claim’. It is a distressing, disturbing and uncomfortable read, but a very important and enlightening one nonetheless. On the one hand it might be seen as an alarming exposé and yet, is it anything more than a nudge to alert us to what many of us have known, or at least suspected, for quite some time?

I gave it three stars not because it was mediocre book, but because it was both horrible and great, at the same time. Let’s to step by step. As my interviews with professionals and women continued, it became strikingly clear that women in mental health units were being dehumanised, and female professionals were bearing witness to this oppression and control. More and more women were waking up to the reality of psychiatry as a dangerous, risky place for women and girls to be – and were doing everything they could to subvert an established and powerful system of misogyny. Why women are blamed for everything: exploring victim blaming of women subjected to violence and trauma. OCLC 1159730638 . Retrieved 11 July 2020– via worldcat.org.Trans-erasure. Why? Like, really, why? Not only did the erasure (sometimes even blatant denial) of trans experiences weaken her argument, but more importantly, it was unethical, angering, and very unfeminist. Was really close to giving it 1* just for this. A nuanced argument around CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), ie that it is good for some things (eg fear of heights) and horrible for others (eg years and years of complex trauma). I have long been very skeptical of CBT approaches and it’s interesting to be presented with a view that is both contextualized and actually makes sense. Why Women are Blamed for Everything: Exploring Victim Blaming of Women Subjected to Abuse and Trauma (2020) [25] Statistically, many girls will be sexually abused in childhood by men and boys in their lives – but this does not mean that the abuse is a causal factor in their sexual orientation. If it was, and being subjected to male violence caused women and girls to change sexuality, the majority of the female population would be lesbian or bisexual.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop