The Echo Chamber: John Boyne

The Echo Chamber: John Boyne

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Please enjoy this article from 'The Guardian' about the author's own troubles with Twitter and how it inspired this book. But Boyne manages to soften the edges by demonstrating real comedic talent in pulling together a number of linked strands in the manner of a farce – it’s preposterous that all these things should so impact one family and yet it’s also highly amusing. We also have Elizabeth, that does nothing but scroll through social media all day and troll people online, usually while masturbating. I think the author did not hold back which is why I said it is not for everyone and I know many readers won't be comfortable reading it. George, the patriarch, is a stalwart of television interviewing, a 'national treasure' (his words), his wife Beverley, a celebrated novelist (although not as celebrated as she would like), and their children, Nelson, Elizabeth, Achilles, various degrees of catastrophe waiting to happen.

none of the characters are likeable and, even if they were, theyre presented in such a caricature way that prevents me from taking any of them seriously. Seems he has drawn on his inner snarkiness to give us a tale about the ridiculous of our social media addicted society. But George gets his wording very, very wrong and Twitter literally explodes, with the vitriol jumping off every form of media available.After the controversy surrounding Boyne's previous release where he tried to represent the trans community (and to give him the benefit of the doubt - maybe his heart was in the right place? Obviously it can be used positively (I have had authors contact me which brought some wonderful books into my life) but I still feel that there is a long way to go. Boyne cannot resist allowing his principal twentysomething characters references to Rita Hayworth or the ability to quote Dorothy Parker.

They have 3 children Nelson a socially inept teacher, Elizabeth an unemployed young adult whose self-worth is dependent on her social media status, and Achilles an indolent 17-year old who uses his charm and good-looks to black mail vulnerable men. Living in a very exclusive part of London, the Cleverly Family rarely spend time together as a unit. The FT review says: ‘Skilfully skewers the cruelties of social media and the absurdities of wokeness… a brave and timely foray into the contemporary culture wars. George is a successful TV presenter who considers himself a ‘National Treasure’, a liberal at heart, success and privilege has turned him into a narcissistic dinosaur.The international bestseller The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas was made into a Miramax feature film and has sold more than eleven million copies worldwide. I laughed out loud on numerous occasions, quoting paragraphs to anyone who would listen but I was also very much aware of the message that was filtering through. There are great, laugh-aloud moments of social satire, but the characters are unsympathetic, and the book is too long and becomes repetitive. Among my most popular books are The Heart’s Invisible Furies, A Ladder to the Sky and My Brother’s Name is Jessica. His 2006 novel The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas has sold more than 11 million copies worldwide and has been adapted for cinema, theatre, ballet, and opera.

Poor old George, for example, believes himself to be a dyed in the wool liberal, but he can't keep up with changing terminology and keeps putting his foot in it. JB is astute, with a deep understanding of plot, themes, characters and relationships, so from the beginning, when you encounter awful characters – no, I mean horrible characters and unbelievable scenarios.It’s just the sort of book that I thought I’d hate, and yet I kept picking it up and reading a little more and before long I’d ploughed my way through most of it. This is clever humour, heavy on the pop culture and political references, and so in tune with the pulse of society as it is today.

I think it’s idiotic and it feels like the obsession of narcissistic morons with far too much time on their hands, but I accept that the culture exists in the world. I like funny books and humor is always a good thing to have in a book but when it is overly satirical, I tend to enjoy it less which I thought would be the case with this book. The Cleverly Family are made up of Dad, George, a ‘national treasure’, known to the country for his long-running TV chat-show.The patriarch, George Cleverley, is a famous BBC presenter with over thirty years in the public's eye. The characterisation is the strongest element of the book as all are depicted with sharp and startling clarity but it’s hard to connect with characters that are so revolting although that is entirely the authors point. A very unlikable, though maybe recognizable family for the most part, though they hadn't always been that way.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop