The Complete Novels of Jane Austen: Sense and Sensibility / Pride and Prejudice / Mansfield Park / Emma / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion (Leather-bound Classics)

£9.495
FREE Shipping

The Complete Novels of Jane Austen: Sense and Sensibility / Pride and Prejudice / Mansfield Park / Emma / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion (Leather-bound Classics)

RRP: £18.99
Price: £9.495
£9.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Diese außergewöhnliche Schuber beinhaltet die großen Romane von Jane Austen: Stolz und Vorurteil, Emma, Verstand und Gefühl, Überredung, Mansfield Park und Die Abtei von Northanger.

The Penguin English Library - collectable general readers' editions of the best fiction in English, from the eighteenth century to the end of the Second World War. Read more Details The final clinching one was of course his taking all the trouble to make amends to the grievous injury caused to her family by his silence, about someone he should have and did not warn people about, and keeping not only silent about it - the efforts he made to make sure about making amends to the injury caused by his reticence - but making sure her uncle would not tell anyone either.

Become a Member

Mansfield Park- What can I say? The only Austen I didn’t give five stars. It was just boring with an absent protagonist. I was glad to finish it. That would be the greatest misfortune of all! To find a man agreeable whom one is determined to hate! Do not wish me such an evil.”

The main thing I took away from the Jane Austen novels was how people dressed. Women weren't dressed immodestly with boobs hanging out and men weren't wearing their pants below their ass. People dressed to impress. Between you and me, there's nothing more sexy than a modest woman. Women who wear dental floss on a daily basis immediately turn me off. All that comes to mind is "girl is putting out" and "walking std". When a woman walks with confidence and wears modest clothing immediately makes me think how she's secure with herself, intelligent, doesn't care what people say/think, and dignified.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry. She was educated primarily by her father and older brothers as well as through her own reading. The steadfast support of her family was critical to her development as a professional writer. Her artistic apprenticeship lasted from her teenage years until she was about 35 years old. During this period, she experimented with various literary forms, including the epistolary novel which she tried then abandoned, and wrote and extensively revised three major novels and began a fourth. From 1811 until 1816, with the release of Sense and Sensibility (1811), Pride and Prejudice (1813), Mansfield Park (1814) and Emma (1815), she achieved success as a published writer. She wrote two additional novels, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion, both published posthumously in 1818, and began a third, which was eventually titled Sanditon, but died before completing it. What I enjoyed even more was to find that Jane Austen wrote many of her characters in a similar way. Most of her main female characters are strong willed and sure of themselves, which was quite different from the stereotypical female of that time period. Therefore, not only are Austen's novels entertaining and lovely, they are also innovative.

I love these books for their relatablity. Their sense of hope, and their quoteability. I, personally, will be adopting the following for the coming year "It sometimes happens that a woman is handsomer at 29 than she was 10 years before."After reading the Pride and Prejudice I now have an understanding of Jane Austen’s writing style. Unlike Pride and Prejudice I have not heard very much about Mansfield Park, so I did not know what to expect. However after not being thrilled by the first book, I must admit my hopes weren’t very high for this one either. I found the plot for Mansfield Park to move along and get to its point faster than I expected. Early on in this story I found that there was very little character development in terms of the personalities of the main characters. I found myself wishing for more of this and more physical descriptions of the characters. Although I found the main character Fanny to be quite dull, she was the underdog and I was rooting for her happiness. Throughout the story I couldn’t help but wonder if being raised at Mansfield, hindered Fanny’s development rather than helped it. Had she stayed with her family she might not have been the timid anxious young woman she was. I found that the story of Mansfield Park kept my interest more than that of Pride and Prejudice, however I didn’t have an overly strong connection with any of the characters. Lady Susan comes as a surprise therefore not because of the subject but the author who chose to write it, since Jane Austen usually is as clear as a sunny day in desert about virtues and vices, and condemning not only the latter but even faults of character that might seem only human today but do lead to follies or tragedies even today often enough unquestionably. Anyway, as mentioned, it's sensible and good sense both to keep a copy around, rereading it every few years to keep oneself up-to-speed on Mr. Darcy, Ms. Woodhouse and the gang, sympathetic references to The Bell Jar just not cutting it with today's literate woman. "Your ingenuousness reminds me a lot of Catherine Morland" is a phrase of no less power than ABRACADABRA! or Asmodeus Belial Hastur Nyarlathotep Wotan Niggurath Dholes Azathoth Tind-alos Kadith [0]! or that old standby, AAAOOOOZORAZZAZZAIEOAZAEIIIOZAKHOEOOOYTHOAZAEAOOZAKHOZAKHEYTHXAALETHYKH [1]! I enjoyed this one, perhaps because it wasn't quite as obvious how everything would play out (not the ending, but how it would get there). enjoyable!

In March, I read (or I should say reread) Pride and Prejudice and of course I loved it. This was only my second time rereading it, but it's a story I've come to know really well. Lizzie and Darcy are iconic and I absolutely adore them. Always. I still can't stand Mrs. Bennet and Mr. Bennet got on my nerves a bit too. This time around I found myself really focusing on Jane and Bingley's storyline more. In a way the novel really is all about them. And it's interesting to me that people say P&P is super romantic, but really that's not what the novel is about. Still I loved and will always love P&P and I had a lovely time rereading it this time. This is my review of all of Jane Austen’s novels. I’m sure it will earn me the wrath and enmity of Austen fans and fanatics everywhere. It seems like a romance and at some level it is but only after normal intelligent and prudent women - young and old - use decorum and wise counsel added to commonsense. This like other books by the author is about how to live well and safe and be good and decent, sensible and honourable, prudent and not blinded by illusions, and find love and romance and marriage as well. One wishes she had had time to write it up as she did others; here is an outline written in her green years. And that reminds me, that the twists at the end of NA are as fast-paced and breathtaking as in any of the later books. Also, the sketch of Catherine's mother, at the end, as a sort of overworked, over anxious, barely affectionate country parson's wife is very well done.Generally, I enjoyed this whole-long experience and I admit, Jane Austen is brilliantly a pioneer author. This new, enhanced leather-bound edition includes all the completed novels of beloved author Jane Austen. Sense and Sensibility- Elinor and Marianne- what a plot! What amazing comic characters! I knew everything that was going to happen to Marianne when she came to London, and still I was reading as fast as I could to see what would happen next. What a coup de theatre when M. is expecting Willoughby to come walking in the door, and Colonel Brandon appears. Matched a little later by Willoughby's sudden appearance on a dark and stormy night. The twist involving Lucy Steele becoming Mrs. Ferrars- Mrs. Robert Ferrars- is a good one, handled well. This is not the exact edition I have, but it's the closest I can come. Mine is the Literary Classics/Gramercy edition that has all the published novels plus Lady Susan, which, while I consider it to be not quite on the level of Austen's true masterpieces, is extremely worth reading, both as a piece of interesting Austenalia, and in its own right as a novel.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop