The Fog

The Fog

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Remade in 2005 by director Rupert Wainwright, with Tom Welling, Maggie Grace and Selma Blair. The remake tries to create more connections between the characters and also tries to expand on a few plot points from the original.

While Mrs. Kobritz and Andy are trapped in a house by the fog (and the zombies in the fog), one of the zombies pounds on the front door for admittance. Mrs. Kobritz foolishly opens the front door to see who's there and is killed by the zombie. What has given me trouble are the actions taken by Massoud, Kathy and Lester to resolve the dispute. Their actions are too extreme. Alternate solutions seem more realistic, more reasonable to me. Yet my solutions would result in a less dramatic story. In my view, the conclusion becomes too cinematic. In fact, in 2003, the book was turned into a popular American drama film starring Ben Kingsley, Jennifer Connelly, Ron Eldard and Shohreh Aghdashloo. The last played Massoud’s wife. The film was nominated for three Academy Awards. Cool Old Lady: Mrs. Kobritz, who is like a second mother to Andy and protects him as best she can from the ghosts. The Hecate Sisters: The three principal female characters. Elizabeth, the youngest and the newcomer in town, is the Maiden. Stevie, the only mother in the cast, is the Matron. Kathy, the eldest and sharp-witted, is the Crone. Must Be Invited: If the fog can't come inside, the ghosts can't either unless you let them. Of course, at the climax, the ghosts start getting impatient, as they just plain smash their way into the church and the lighthouse.Stevie's message to "look for the fog" through the radio is a reference to the final scene in The Thing from Another World, where the reporter character grabs the radio and tells the world to "watch the skies" for extra-terrestrials. This book is so unique, in that it's not a retelling, or set in a historical time period, and it uses its unique time period to make fun of the present (for us, at least) in hilarious ways. Here's an example:

Artistic License – Engineering: Stevie's generator is clearly a gas-powered one - so it should be outside the lighthouse instead of inside. Carr, Kevin (October 31, 2013). "19 Things We Learned from 'The Fog' Commentary". Film School Rejects. Archived from the original on November 3, 2013 . Retrieved June 1, 2015. British author James Herbert (1953-2013) was the director of an advertising agency before striking it big as a horror author around the time Stephen King was doing the same thing accross the Atlantic. Herbert’s first novel, 1974's The Rats , began a successful 23-novel career with worldwide sales exceeding 50 million copies. I’ve heard great things about Herbert and decided to start with his second book, 1975’s The Fog . a b c d Holland, Steve (21 March 2013). "James Herbert obituary". Guardian.co.uk. London . Retrieved 24 March 2013.A book to read when it's bright and sunny because it's not uplifting at all but nevertheless, it is very, very good. The story teaches reflection, dispassion, and forbearance -- lessons valuable in 20th century American, in Iran, and in every other place and time. Soon a bigger problem is discovered – the fog is multiplying in size and nothing seems to be able to stop it. Entire villages and cities are in danger and the only chance left is to use the treated and immunized John Holman to take on the fog from the inside where who knows what awaits him.

House of Sand and Fog is a 1999 novel by Andre Dubus III. It was selected for Oprah's Book Club in 2000, was a finalist for the National Book Award for Fiction, and was adapted into the 2003 film, House of Sand and Fog. The Atoner: Father Malone offers himself to Blake's ghost to atone for what his grandfather did. A sacrifice Blake makes good on at the end.

Potter, Adam Lee (5 September 2012). "James Herbert: My new thriller about Princess Diana's secret son". Daily Express . Retrieved 1 September 2017. Francis, Clare; Upton, Ondine, eds. (1996). A Feast of Stories. London: Macmillan Publishers. ISBN 978-0-333-65340-1. City Mouse: Discussed by Stevie. She says that she'll likely remain working alone at the radio station unless she can convince someone "to give up city life for Antonio Bay".

a b Weber, Bruce (24 March 2013). "James Herbert, British Horror Novelist, Dies at 69". The New York Times. Behrani currently works physical labor. He had switched places of employment several times, but nothing much changes. Embarrassed, he hides these facts from his own family, dressing in a full suit and tie every morning.It is a very well written book in every way and on all levels. Absolutely worth the read, and for the first time I actually agree with an Oprah choice! But those readers who have tried her recommendations, already know that she chooses arresting stories with difficult themes. This one is no exception.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop