Tom's Midnight Garden

Tom's Midnight Garden

RRP: £6.99
Price: £3.495
£3.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Overall, I can’t really say if I fully enjoyed this mini-series or not. It was a good adaption of the novel, the acting was largely good, and the special effects were not awful. It’s not really my usual cup of tea and I guess my desire to watch the adaption was probably more of a nostalgic look at my youth, or maybe I even felt a little remorse for being so adamantly against this type of children’s drama at the time and therefore felt I should give it a go. Whatever the reason, I enjoyed it enough to make it through to the end and I was indeed drawn into the lives of both Tom and Hatty, even shedding a tear at the end, which surprised me.

Tom’s letters to Peter include the initials BAR (meaning ‘Burn After Reading’). Can you find out about other popular acronyms? Could you make up some of your own? Imagine that there was a thirteenth hour after noon and after midnight. Plan a new timetable for your twenty-six hour day. The garden is gone the following night. Tom stumbles on the rubbish-bins, calling Hatty’s name. Having heard Tom’s shouts, Mrs. Bartholomew calls Tom up to her flat. He learns that she is Hatty, and lately, she has frequently dreamed of her lonely childhood. Lonely himself, Tom crossed into her dreams. Like old friends, they embrace.Tom’s Midnight Garden is the story of twelve-year-old Tom who, while staying with his aunt and uncle, discovers a magical, mysterious garden where he befriends a young girl named Hatty. Written by Philippa Pearce, the novel has been in print continuously since it was first published in 1958. Now considered a classic children’s book, Tom’s Midnight Garden explores the timeless themes of friendship, loss, aging, and time. A truly magical story, entertaining for kids and adults alike. The beauty of this book is how you can allow your imagination to run away with you, just as Tom does. I will for sure pass this story (probably this exact book because THAT COVER THOUGH and it has cute illustrations) onto my kids as I think it's a great classic kids story. spoilers follow. but what is a spoiler? a component revealed. is that component reflective of the whole? is that component the heart of the book or is it just another part of its body? is it a totem that represents the book's secret meaning? Find some of the flowers that are mentioned in the book and use these as inspiration for your own artwork.

On the final night before Tom is due to go home, he goes downstairs to find the garden is not there. He frantically tries to find it, but crashes into a set of bins from the present–day courtyard, waking up several residents. He shouts Hatty's name in desperation, before his Uncle Alan finds him and puts the events down to Tom sleepwalking. The following morning, Mrs Bartholomew summons Tom to apologise, only to reveal herself as Hatty, having made the link when she heard him call her name. The events Tom experienced were real in Hatty's past; he has stepped into them by going into the garden at the times she dreamt of them. On the final night, she had instead been dreaming of her wedding with Barty. Pearce followed the fantasy of Tom's Midnight Garden with a more realistic novel, A Dog So Small The central figure of this novel is a lonely boy, Ben, who is obsessed with the desire to have a puppy. His disappointment when he does not receive one on his birthday is enormous. When he eventually does get the much wanted pet, he finds that a real dog does not measure up to his imagined chihuahua. This book is essentially a character study, and Ben is a convincing protagonist, whose relationship with his grandfather further explores the theme of childhood and old age. But ... but ... but ... if you can get through the first third (which, I admit, was more plodding and off-putting than I expected), it slowly starts to grow on you. ... And it's worth it, because ... it's a slender volume (again, it was written for kids), so as you get towards the final portions, the mosaic starts to assemble, and the heart of the piece begins to expose itself. ... And the end, well, ... as predictable as it is (OK, OK, it was written for kids, not adult sleuths raised on a broad range and healthy diet of whodunits) ... is ... sublime? precious? touching? appropriate? ... ultimately, very nicely done.At one point in the story, Tom looks at the garden through different coloured window panes. Could you paint some pictures of the same location, using different shades of the same colour, and then repeat this using different colours? Time Slip is used brilliantly in the plot that you don't know between the two main characters, Tom or Hatty, is the ghost and who is a real human being. To give you an example, in the movie Sixth Sense, you know right away who are the ghosts because the boy character says "I see dead people." Here, at first, I thought Hatty was clearly the ghost until she described Tom and then I did not know anymore. Then in the end, there is another surprise but I will not tell you what as I do not want to spoil your reading. Write a letter from Tom to his family. How might the content of Tom’s letter change according to the point in the story when it was written (e.g. in chapter two, he plans a letter to his mother, asking her to take him away)? The story was written in 1958. Can you find any references that describe what life was like at that time? How was it similar / different to today? This novel is regarded as a classic children's novel, as the theme of childhood is a key element of the text. Tom's Midnight Garden emphasizes the importance of childhood curiosity, friendship and playing outdoors - suggesting that some of these qualities have been lost to an extent in the modern age, where gardens have been replaced with car parks. The novel is depicted as a kind of pastoral idyll, representing the rural beauty that has been destroyed by urbanization and industrialization. This, in turn, represents the innocence and playfulness of childhood. Critics have argued that this text romanticizes the Victorian era, understating the suffering of poorer people during this time in history. It focuses on a rich family, who has a large country home with a beautiful garden. As such, this book arguably doesn't give a full picture of Victorian society.

Kokia nuostabi ši Alma Littera knygų serija vaikams. Kadaise leistos, danbar naujai perleidžiamos klaiskos knygos džiugina su kiekviena nauja. Vienos istorijos kažkada skaitytos, kitas atrandu tik dabar, vienos patinka labiau, kitos mažiau, bet iš kaupiu ir saugau visas, su viltimi, kad mano vaikiukai jas skaitys ir mėgausis taip pat kaipn aš. After reading the summary above, maybe you think this is a ghost story. At first that's what I thought, but it turns out to be not like that. What I love about this book is how time and reality all seemed just a blur. The author weaves Tom's day-life with his life in the midnight-garden deftly. In his day-life, Tom struggled to find the explanation to the garden. Things are going bad (to his mind) when his stay at his aunt and uncle is nearly over, and he found he didn't want to leave the midnight-garden, nor let it change.Victorian Hatty lived in the house when it was still one big house, long before developers converted it into apartments. Hatty is lonely because there is nobody at the house for her to play with, or to do anything fun with at all. She seems to grow up very fast, far faster than Tom, but remains friends with him and seems to enjoy the magic of their meetings just as much as he does. Tom is immediately miserable. The bedroom he is given has bars on the windows, as it was formerly a nursery. There are no other children in the building, but as he may be infected with measles, he couldn’t play with anyone, anyway. Uncle Alan is stern, while Aunt Gwen tries to comfort Tom with rich foods. Tom’s only amusement is jigsaw puzzles. Well I had the chance to get a copy (okay this copy) for free and leapt at the chance to read it (again I think).

I love reading books that actually make time fly. Have you ever had that? It's such a cool feeling. You know you're so in the world of the book that you don't notice your food going cold, you don't notice it going dark, you actually don't ever want to put the book down. Find all of the words and phrases that are used to describe the people (e.g. ‘brindled hair and brindled brown eyes’, ‘a little girl in a frilled blue pinafore and with hair worn long to her shoulders’).

Rate And Review

OK, let's get the preliminaries out of the way first. This is very much a period piece - and, for better or worse, and I can't imagine my (now grown) kids having got through this ... or, for that matter, sitting through the first few chapters of the book, even if someone was reading it to them. For kids who grew up with (or, even more so, traveled with) video games (and video game consoles) and DVD players (or VCR's) and, yes, the Internet, well, ... it's a bridge too far. And, sure, my kids are (and were) very much urban/suburbanites ... so the fascination and satisfaction with (or interest in) a garden ... just doesn't resonate .... But, ultimately, that's just the (by today's standards, painfully slow) opening gambit.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop