Escape to the River Sea

Escape to the River Sea

RRP: £12.99
Price: £6.495
£6.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The Nazi occupation Vienna finds eleven-year-old Rosa Sweetman separated from her mother and elder sister, and evacuated to the crumbling stately home of Westwood, in the north of England. She is found by Finn and he takes her on his boat, the Arabella, to embark on the adventure she had hoped for. I am so beyond thrilled I got the chance to read this early, and ridiculously excited that Emma Carroll has another 2022 release in September for me to look forward to! Rosa Sweetman, a young Kindertransport girl, longs for her family to claim her after being the only child left at Westwood, a rambling country estate in the north of England, where she'd taken refuge seven years earlier. Other members of Eva’s family also escaped Vienna and settled in England, and their shared experiences later influenced Eva’s writing, with the themes of home, refugees and immigration running through her books.

You guys are such a force for good and I am a passionate supporter of Indie booksellers, so I'm so happy this worked out well (I'd love to know how many books were sold if you have it to hand - it felt like quite a lot! This second novel can be read as a standalone, or as a companion to the original, it works equally well as both. Rosa, this novel’s main character, is an Austrian Jewish evacuee living with the assumed Sir Clovis in England and waiting for her family to come now the war is long over.

It’s a fantastic independent book seller that will actually be responsive and select appropriate books for you. You guys were so fab and Dawn was such a lovely presence in the schools - I will absolutely be in touch next time I'm in your neck of the woods. He is in debt in Manaus and is wanted for fraud in England after embezzling the bank where he worked. I read ‘Escape To The River Sea’ on a whim given that I have not (yet) read ‘Journey To The River Sea’, it came up as an audiobook available from my library and had skipped through a few audiobooks that I just couldn’t get into.

I am not sure I was quite as transported by it as I was with Journey to the River Sea but that was, in my opinion, wonderful. Thanks so much to the publisher for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review, all opinions are my own. Along with the story of Rosa's friendships, first with Billy, then with Yara's family that, until she gets on a boat to Panama with Yara, she has never met, is the story of her parents and where they are, no one has heard from anyone from the time Rosa arrived in 1938.The adventure they go on is a bit different to the one mentioned in the blurb, but I loved the historical details of it and I thought the ending was just the most perfect, happy thing possible. Bright, passionate, adventurous, determined, and resourceful, Maia has great ambition and a talent for music. Beautiful and full of adventure, Escape to the River Sea is Emma Carroll's compelling novel inspired by Eva Ibbotson's bestselling, classic masterpiece, Journey to the River Sea. Clovis, also an orphan, desperately wants to go back to England, while Finn wants to stay in Brazil.

This award-winning Macmillan Collector's Library edition of Journey to the River Sea has everything Ibbotson’s stories are best known for: an epic journey into the unknown, memorable characters, and a fantastic setting. Now war is over, and she is looking and waiting for the post with a letter to say her mum and sister survived.Living with the family is Miss Minton, governess to Maia and the twins, who, despite an outwardly strict appearance, begins to care deeply for Maia. Yet war has forced Rosa’s evacuation from Vienna to Westwood, home of Sir Clovis, separating her from her home and family and all she once knew. Find out about the latest book in the 'Girl, Missing' series, Secret Sister, in this short video by author Sophie McKenzie. Writing a sequel to a much-loved book that has deservedly achieved ‘classic’ status is no mean feat, but Emma Carroll has risen to the task masterfully.

However, Maia, who Miss Minton eventually plans to take with her, does not know this and believes that she has been abandoned. Author Guy Bass introduces SCRAP, about one robot who tried to protect the humans on his planet against an army of robots. Beautiful and full of adventure, Escape to the River Sea is Emma Carroll's compelling new novel inspired by Eva Ibbotson's bestselling, classic masterpiece, Journey to the River Sea.A large portion of the book speaks about colonisation and the destuction of habitats with the impact on both native peoples and the local wildlife. She was not picked up by her sponsor than was seen by Sir Clovis and he offered to take her home to Westwood. As this develops we discover different monsters which prove far more dangerous, involving ratlines, escaping Nazis etc. I think the first thing to say is that this does a beautiful job of honouring Journey to the River Sea while also being something you could very much enjoy as a standalone. The winners of The Farshore Reading for Pleasure Teacher Awards 2023, highlighting the work schools are doing to encourage a love of reading, have.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop