The Appeal: The smash-hit bestseller

The Appeal: The smash-hit bestseller

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Unfortunately, her illness is a rare type of cancer, one that only extremely expensive medicine might be able to cure. Of course, that alone means this might not be for everyone, but I still think it’s at least worth a try if you’re even remotely intrigued. The broad ranging plot takes us far and wide and into a number of areas which initially seems daunting in scale. All you know in the beginning is that someone was murdered, someone was sent to prison, and it's up to you, the reader, to figure out the who, what, when, where, and how.

It really is a page turner, one of them books that you know you should put down but say just one more page, . Thanks to the vast amount of details and the number of characters hiding secrets and lies, I was thoroughly unsuccessful. The Fairway Players, a local theater group, is in the midst of rehearsals for their latest production, when tragedy strikes the family of the director Martin Haywood, and his wife, Helen, the play’s leading lady. The whole book is ‘clever’ like a magician’s trick is clever - there’s a lot of misdirection and “look over there”.The Appeal is a mystery novel which truly deserves its hype, which believe me is a very rare thing indeed!

This is a thoroughly entertaining whodunnit with a cozy murder mystery feel and clever little clues which I didn’t actually pick up on until towards the end. The author did try to refresh the reader, multiple times with lists of who everyone is but it proved too little to remove the confusion. The story starts with two young law students Charlotte and Femi, who have been assigned a case by QC Roderick Tanner. I’ve just read an advance copy of The Anomaly by Hervé Le Tellier, a bestseller in France, out next year. Someone has already been convicted of this brutal murder and is currently in prison, but we suspect they are innocent.I have to admit I was a little disorientated when I first started the novel, as the opening exchanges between Femi and Charlotte were perhaps a little opaque. I applaud the author for trying something different, but I didn’t feel this approach was successful.

Especially recommended for those who like things like logic puzzles, actually enjoyed classes like Con Law, or who find themselves always solving the mystery before the big reveal in most thrillers. I'm sure some readers may not take to the way the story is told, or to the gossipy pettiness of so many of the characters' interactions - it has a very parish council feel to it, and there are definitely characters who would not accept that Jackie Weaver has any authority here, so you will occasionally have a strong urge to punch them. Their two year old granddaughter, Poppy Reswick has been diagnosed with Medulloblastoma-a rare form of brain cancer. You could say she starts out well before she veers into that classic move of using someone else’s pain to talk about your own, usually more minor, experiences.The paperwork and casefiles have been sent over and they need to go through it and discuss once they have finished reading all the evidence. It was interesting and absolutely intelligent idea to tell the entire story, inserting small clues via correspondences.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop