Rosamond Lehmann: A Life

Rosamond Lehmann: A Life

RRP: £16.99
Price: £8.495
£8.495 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

There is an echo of Mary Webb in the anti-bucolicism of these stories; terribly sad, their main concern is with the awful vulnerability of people and animals, the appalling fragility of their soft bodies and souls. Dylan Thomas once referred to "cornucopian Rosamond", and it's as good an epithet as any; the manifold nature of the human tragedy is here, but being short pieces, and not novels (much less life-times), they are crystallised and condensed, and with what magical, lapidary language: Alle ultime parole Martin si coprì di un rossore improvviso. - Lo so che ne saresti capace, - disse con una certa durezza. - Sei abbastanza intelligente per fare tutto quello che vuoi, e io sono uno stupido. Ma non ci provare, ti prego... Non può esserci costrizione, capisci, Martin? - insistette lei malignamente. - Tu non mi faresti violenza per conquistarsi, vero? Mi lasceresti essere me stessa? Se mai provassi a costringermi, io ti direi una bugia dietro l'altra, e mi divertirei anche. E non ti perdonerei mai. Non era vero. L'onta di quella resa, la lettera, l'amore non corrisposto avrebbero continuato a roderla, a bruciarla dentro, fino all'ultimo dei suoi giorni.

Our conversation took place over the course of five days in the summer of 1998 in the garden of her house in the south of France. We talked over champagne, by the side of a swimming pool rather like the one in her short story “A Lamia in the Cévennes.” As the hot day cooled into evening, our conversations had the feeling of relaxation on both sides. Dame Antonia spent the days working on The Biographer’s Tale, and I submitted to the rigor of cycling in solitude up the ferocious mountains that surround her house. One day, we took a day off and drove to Nimes, that beautiful Roman city: Dame Antonia’s pleasures—they seemed equal—in the dazzling glass palace of the Carré d’Art, old bullfighting posters, a ravishing Matisse nude in pencil, and a superlatively delicious lunch at that great temple of the art nouveau, the Hôtel Imperator Concorde, were contagious. Both of us, I think, enjoyed the conversations, however, as a break from more arduous activities, and although the interviewer should always try to keep the conversation to the point, it was not always easy to resist a feeling of delight as Dame Antonia moved onto evolutionary theory, non-conformism, F. R. Leavis, and dozens of other topics with a sure, swift movement of thought. There are few writers so rich in intellectual curiosity; none, perhaps, who so definitely regards the life of the mind as a matter of pleasure taken and given in equal measure. The tangible world around us goes on dissolving as we construct our inner worlds, those banks of memories and considerations and lessons learned and proffered that go to make up our minds, or spirits, or, some might say, our souls. Trapped within the mere skin, every living thing struggles to escape:

Articles

Una novela inciática que describe perfectamente el despertar a la vida de Judith y de cómo su percepcion de los primos Fyfe va madurando y evolucionando a lo largo de los años. Y para mi una de los mayores talentos de esta escritora es de cómo en apenas unas frases, nos está haciendo un inmenso esbozo de la profundidad psicológica de estos personajes que no solo marcarán a Judith sino tambíen al lector. Y lo que más me fascina es lo moderna y adelantada a su tiempo de esta novela por los temas que plantea y por el valor de exponerlas, pensar que en 1927, el personaje femenino de una novela se expresara con tanta independencia:

The semi-autobiographical novel tells of Judith's relations with a group of cousins, mostly male, who exert a group power and a near-magical glamour over Judith. One member, Charlie, is killed in the Great War at the age of 19, and Alison suggested a concordance with Percival in Woolf's The Waves. The group is incapable of expanding to admit new members, and wishes to exist in unchanging time. This desire for mastery over time is at the heart of the feeling of nostalgia, and Alison pointed out an example of Judith's desperate urge to fix time: E poi la quarta squisita parte sui primi tempi dopo il college, l’amore trionfa, si tinge di sesso, ma è soprattutto pena e struggimento, dolore e lacrime.Alain-Fournier', Le Grand Meaulnes (1913); childhood recalled through the evocation of 'the lost domain' of a near-magical French estate. Dusty Answer” by Rosamond Lehmann is set in England during the 1900 and features Judith who is a fascinating character. In the days leading up to the ball, she will need to get her dress made and things are going according to plan. She is anticipating the arrival of Reggies who will go with the two sisters to the ball. Lehmann's marriage with Phillips fell apart during the late 1930s, after Phillips left for Spain during the Spanish Civil War to support the anti-fascist cause. The separation, and Lehmann's affair with the journalist Goronwy Rees, led the two to divorce in 1944. [1] [2] Pero... - Roddy dudó- Si un hombre pretende pedirle a una chica que... en matrimonio, lo normal es que el primer paso lo dé él. ¿Entiendes?

Lehmann's affair with Goronwy Rees began in 1936 and ended when she found out Rees was engaged to another woman, by reading about the engagement in the newspaper. [12] Afterward, Lehmann entered a "very public affair" for nine years (1941–1950) with the married poet Cecil Day-Lewis. The two vacationed and lived together, and Lehmann tried to convince him to leave his wife for her. In the end, however, Day-Lewis left both his wife and Lehmann for actress Jill Balcon. [12] This heartbreak inspired Lehmann's novel The Echoing Grove (1953), to great success. Judith spalancò le braccia ed esclamò, quasi piangendo: - Ma non posso dire una parola? Non posso aprire bocca senza essere fraintesa?... Senza essere... Poetry and so-called poetry. Oh, it was so easy then! Everything flowed. I wrote all about fairies, and moonbeams, and nature, and it all poured out in rhymes. I destroyed most of the poems when I was fourteen, because I was ashamed of them, but I have kept a few. I think they might amuse my grandchildren. Reggies will be a partner for Olivia who has been brought up polite and is known to be overly self-conscious and terrified of hurting other people’s feelings. Part One sees Judith reminiscing about her childhood where the seeds of her strong friendship with the cousins are laid. Many years have passed and the cousins return in adolescence for an atmospheric day of skating on the pond.

Join & Support

Qué olvidada está Rosamond Lehmann y qué sacrilegio!!! Le doy gracias a Errata Naturae por haberla editado en español porque de no ser por ellos me la habria perdido y la verdad es que es imperdonable dejar escapar a una escritora de esta categoria. Vana Respuesta la escribió Rosamond Lehmann cuando tenia apenas 24 años, en 1927, una novela madura y compleja en cuanto a emociones, pero maravillosamente escrita y cercana en cuanto al estilo de Rosamond Lehmann. Rosamond Phillips" in the 1939 England and Wales Register (The National Archives; Kew, London, England; 1939 Register; Reference: RG 101/2212B)

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop