Perfect Wives in Ideal Homes: The Story of Women in the 1950s

Perfect Wives in Ideal Homes: The Story of Women in the 1950s

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

And while I was standing there, I could hear some of the spectators saying ‘What a shame…’ By now I was beginning to think I was deformed. Perfect Wives in Ideal Homes reconstructs the real 1950s, through the eyes of the women who lived it. From empathy and effective communication to resilience and shared goals, these attributes nurture the foundation of a lasting bond. It shows the lives of several women from the beginning of the decade to the end, accompanied by changes in wider society. A world where the darker side of the decade encompasses rampant prostitution, a notorious murder, and the threat of nuclear disaster.

Seek support: Reach out to friends, family, or a therapist for advice and emotional support when facing challenges. Also, bizarrely, she throws in an off-handed comment about how the women of the WI were “ starting to look beyond poultry-keeping and meal preparation.Some sites allow you to meet potential partners for free, however you may still need to spend some money about presents.

In the post-war world, there was little – except a residual belief in her own incapacity – to stop a young woman from training to become an architect, a biologist, or a lawyer. She will fork out a lot of money indiv Relationships form the cornerstone of our lives, and certain qualities stand out as essential for a harmonious and fulfilling marriage. Reading this book and remembering with a certain amount of nostalgia how it was then, I also thanked my lucky stars I had enlightened parents who took it for granted that I would have a career and not just a job and that even though I would probably marry I would always be able to support myself financially. And their kitchens are indeed delightful: ‘the gayest room in the house’, with cheery red coal-scuttles, yellow enamelled storage jars and matching casseroles.Her generosity creates a nurturing atmosphere, strengthening the emotional bond and affirming her devotion. I also gained some hope for our current environmental situation from the (relative) success and impact of the story of the founding of CND. She is marked by a heavenly peace, which can comfort and encourage her husband in uncertain or trying times. In fact there are traces of the same mindset still around: the choices facing women even today are much more circumscribed than those facing men and always will be as long as women produce the next generation. If there are any pending issues, she prefers to talk about them with her husband, who doubles as her best friend.

One Newcastle housewife remarked: ‘I’ve a fridge, a washer and a television set, and that’s all I want in life.The phrase "good wife, wise mother" appeared in the latter part of the Meiji period in the late 19th century. The advent of birth control meant that women were able to take control of their bodies and have a say in the number of children they gave birth to, a right denied to previous generations.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop