Goddess: The Secret Lives Of Marilyn Monroe

Goddess: The Secret Lives Of Marilyn Monroe

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Oh, man. Where to start with this one? I had such high expectations for this novella when I first read about the premise. I was so excited to read a sort of Mexican spin on The Craft. I really wanted a novel playing up Mexican folklore as well as the occult, which is what the book led me to believe this would be. It was also printed by a very pro-feminism publisher, so I thought I was in for a really fun ride. I was very wrong. Zeus: Exactly the point I've been trying to make here (throws thunderbolt and destroys another artifact).

Graves admitted he was not a medieval historian, but a poet, and thus based his work on the premise that the Funny, fierce and feminist; this is a refreshing romp through Greek mythology. Bea Fitzgerald draws on her extensive knowledge to create this imaginative retelling, turning everything we think we know about Persephone and Hades upside down and recasting them as the stars of this unexpected, meticulously researched, empowering rom-com.' - Jennifer SaintWarrior Goddess Training by Heatherash Amara:This was one of the very first Goddess books I ever read and so it has a special place in my heart. Warrior Goddess Training helped me many years ago when I was still trapped in egoic thoughts of not being enough and filled with expectations of who I should be. Warrior Goddess Training really helps you tap into your inner warrior as a woman and contains lots of stories, rituals and exercises to support you on your journey.

Pharand, Michael W. "Greek Myths, White Goddess: Robert Graves Cleans up a 'Dreadful Mess'", in Ian Ferla and Grevel Lindop (ed), Graves and the Goddess: Essays on Robert Graves's The White Goddess. Associated University Presses, 2003. p. 188. Athena: I know you know how to read, sister, but isn't there a sale at Prada or something you'd rather be going to?Hades: I married her and she's happy for the six months of the year she doesn't have to spend with that battle axe.

It’s a good opportunity to incorporate breakfast into my routine, as experts commonly say it’s the most important meal of the day. Bennett, Joseph, [review of Robert Graves' The White Goddess: a Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth], Hudson Review, vol.2 (1949), 133–138 Athena: And I bowed down to that ignoramus. Not to mention that Apollo was depicted as a murderer/rapist, Hades was depicted as a Helen fan girl, the vast majority of Olympians are not even mentioned. The only ones who were depicted as being reasonably decent were Helen of Troy, Paris, and freaking Aphrodite. The last sections of the book read more like a murder mystery than a biography. And these sections are really good -- honestly, they are fantastic! She kept little notebooks, little journals on which she made notes all the time. And she was a voracious reader, a terrific reader. [She] was a really thoughtful, intelligent woman... She played along with the effort to create her as a cardboard-cutout figure, while at the same time, in private life, doing everything she could to make sure she wasn’t a cardboard-cutout figure.Graves concluded, in the second and expanded edition, that the male-dominant monotheistic god of Judaism and its successors were the cause of the White Goddess's downfall, and thus the source of much of the modern world's woe. He describes Woman as occupying a higher echelon than mere poet, that of the Muse Herself. He adds "This is not to say that a woman should refrain from writing poems; only, that she should write as a woman, not as an honorary man." He seems particularly bothered by the spectre of women's writing reflecting male-dominated poetic conventions. [4] This collection of poems by the acclaimed author of When I Hit You is uncompromising and approaches figures from ancient Hindu literature with subversion. Her preface Should You Take Offence is indicative of the book’s mission: “Your myths put me in my place. Therefore, I take perverse pleasure in such deliberate paraphrase … I do not write into patriarchy. My Maariamma bays for blood. My Kali kills. My Draupadi strips. My Sita climbs on to a stranger’s lap. All my women militate.” Her poems Random Access Man and Princess-in-Exile imagine a different version of Sita, the long-suffering wife of Rama, who is central in the epic poem the Ramayana. Exhilarating.

Graves also argues that the names of the Ogham letters in the alphabet used in parts of Gaelic Ireland and Britain contained a calendar that contained the key to an ancient liturgy involving the human sacrifice of a sacred king, and, further, that these letter names concealed lines of Ancient Greek hexameter describing the goddess. British-Nigerian Okojie’s wildly weird short-story collection has at its centre the extraordinary tale of a heart-devouring (literally and metaphorically), shape-shifting sea goddess named Kiru, who comes ashore on a small island inhabited by eunuchs with the intention of falling in love. After each (disappointing) encounter with a potential lover, she eats their hearts and transforms into a different alluring woman. It’s a brilliantly strange metaphor for female beauty as an empty or hollow construct. The collection is unsettling, magical, transporting, unforgettable. Anthony Summers thoroughly investigated all the conflicting facts in the historical record (or, more accurately, what remains undestroyed from the historical record) to piece together a highly probable and compelling account of Marilyn's last day alive (including the vile involvement of RFK). Then 'blooming' (get it 😉) into the Queen she was destined to be, growing into her power and owning her desires and needs unapologetically.Not only an exhaustive reporter, Summers is also a prolific one. He’s written 10 nonfiction books on such prominent mid-20th-century figures as J. Edgar Hoover and Richard Nixon. His book on 9/11 was a Pulitzer Prize finalist.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop