Whatever Next! (A Bear Family Book, 2)

Whatever Next! (A Bear Family Book, 2)

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

This was an easy and again, an interesting read; although I first thought it was going to be a rehash of ‘Lady in Waiting’; it just went into things in more depth and less in some others. I liked how the chapters were split into themes; not many photos though this time. Who knows? I’m 90 and a half and I do sometimes get exhausted. But I’m having such a wonderful time. Life is so exciting. I’m going on The One Show on Monday.

Now in her early 90’s she is very much enjoying her new life as an author, and touring to promote her books!! Anne Glenconner's remarkable life hasn't always been as glamorous as one would expect of the daughter of the 5th Earl of Leicester, but it's certainly been an eventful one. From being raised in the beautiful Holkham Hall to living in a tent in the jungles of Mustique, and from exploring the world with Princess Margaret, to keeping pace with her unrestrained and impulsive husband - Lord Glenconner - Anne has lived many extremes. I felt bad for Princess Margaret when Anne wrote of how the press had to set up a "bad sister" to play against the Queen as "good sister." It made me dislike the press more than I already do (is that even possible?!). So much of what we hear on the news is set up in templates the media has decided on, which may have little basis in reality. From her childhood nanny (one of the good ones; she also had a horrendous one), she often heard, "Let's go and explore." Anne has continued to have a love of travel throughout her life. "The world is full of interesting things to see, but you have to go and look for them." Well, I’ve given up supper. I find that eating late gives me indigestion and I wanted to lose weight around my middle. It’s marvellous. I never feel hungry. I have breakfast and a good lunch and that’s it. I lost a stone without trying. I also walk every day and properly. You’ve got to lift your feet up.Yes, but thanks to this book, I’ve had the most wonderful conversations with them. We’ve been able to talk about what Colin, their father, did to them in great detail and I’ve been able to say: “Oh, darlings.” Anne wasn't the only one in her family to deal with marital woes; she mentions her beloved sister Carey, who had a husband "who would only talk to her through the dog for years on end." This is very sad, but I'll admit I had to laugh when I read it :) Who can believe the things some people do?! This book finds Lady Glenconner more confident; it feels as though she's writing about things that she didn't feel she could write about just a few years ago. She is more open about her marriage and her relationships.

Encourage children to tell the story in their own words using the illustrations to help them. You might find they include some phrases from the story. Talk about the story Yes, they did and if the footman carried raw eggs in a bain-marie from the kitchen to the nursery, it was so far, they were boiled on arrival. The world has changed immeasurably. I think anyone who lived through the war was marked for ever by it. We went through such a lot. I do find it a bit strange what people complain about nowadays. Whatever Now” is a candid look at a very interesting life full of moments of both extraordinary privilege and of tragedy. Since I enjoyed Lady in Waiting I was very eager to read Whatever Next? It's a very chatty memoir - I felt the author was sitting across the table from me as we shared a cup of tea. Lady Glenconner expanded on life experiences that were hinted at in the Lady in Waiting. It as a fast read and at times a superficial one - I would of welcomed a more in-depth look at her life and adventures. The book is a fascinating portrayal of a world gone by.Whatever Next? is an interesting book about a wealthy woman whose family has associated for decades with the Royal Family. The parts of the book about her travel and the fascinating people she gets to meet are really fun. Anne routinely spends time with Princess Margaret and takes her job seriously taking care of her. In fact, Anne spends most of her life taking care of others - spouse, children, company, etc. When writing about her life, I couldn't help many times but be amazed at what it must be like to have such wealth: "We had an excellent staff, and though I felt terribly busy at the time, I never cleaned a bath or made a bed." What about Princess Margaret? She’s widely portrayed as having been spoilt and difficult, but you’ve always insisted this is unfair. I finish this book in two days. It was interesting, and I appreciate her mentioning of matters and consideration, as I think it’s still important today. Sadly, we don’t get enough of it.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop