Ascension: The gripping new speculative time travel thriller of 2023

Ascension: The gripping new speculative time travel thriller of 2023

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The formation of the mountain itself is an unusual mishmash, with strange creatures and microbes comprised of just RNA; will they be able to puzzle out this mysterious phenomena of the mountain and its surrounds or would it be their undoing? Ascension is a beautifully written piece of weird fiction with literary pretensions (well deserved), some sci-fi elements and some horror that is told from the perspective of Harold Turnmore as a series of post hoc letters to his niece after the fact of events several decades later.

I was absolutely hooked on the first 60% of this story, but unfortunately, the last act became a bit too wild for my taste. At times the book felt videogame like, and many characters seem a bit cardboard like, but still this was an enjoyable book which raises interesting questions and themes. Sometimes what the soul needs isn't to give meaning to hollow words: prayers and confessions that you do not really believe. Around 20% of Ascension is comprised of flashbacks and although I did not enjoy these as much as the scenes set around investigating the mountain, they are a welcome change in pace and culminate excellently (although slightly predictably); shedding light on the reasons for Harry's isolation and almost stoic nature. An accomplished and clever speculative thriller that explores the limits of human knowledge — it is no surprise that it has been optioned for a film.En resumen, si no aprovechas las fortalezas de un recurso tan limitado, criticado incluso en autores más consagrados y mejores que tu, para qué lo pones siquiera. The prose is utterly captivating and descriptive, making events ride in on an atmospheric fog that turns into a full blown blizzard towards the ending. The epistolary format, flowing from a brother who finds Harold in an asylum, reminded me a bit of Dracula, and feels a bit off given the super high stakes that Nicholas Binge infuses into the story (e.

This is obviously treated as a deep thought and main character ponders Sisyphus’ thought process because he’s a genius. A través de sus páginas ejerce una atracción a la trama y lo que está pasando y no solo pone en marcha una búsqueda científica, también una trascendente expedición para desentrañar los misterios de la existencia y el significado de la humanidad. It is complex, clever, thought-provoking, and thoroughly intriguing, with some fascinating concepts with regards to time and predicting the future, and our understanding of humans, nature, and the universe. Besides the mountain ascent, which quickly turns out to be challenging ( Things have become a little complicated) Harold is steeped in a lot of guilt about his past. Ascension is] full of frenetic action and packed with twists and turns, gun fights and villains, but it’s also a sustained reflection on the limits of being human.Then I was suddenly thrown completely off kilter by the addition of a species of monsters on the mountain (honestly, the environmental claustrophobia was enough, so I don’t think any suspense would’ve been lost if we’d ditched the leviathans completely). There were a couple of moments when I thought, oh this is going to go down a super preachy road and end up being a convenient, "God is the answer to everything" message.

The plot device of the narrator's daughter seemed in the end strangely unnecessary since it led nowhere. Some of these scenes are so powerfully moving that they impacted me just as much as the mystery of the mountain did, but in a more personal and emotional way. But the situation this protagonist finds himself in is so absurd, even the most literal minded person would react to that. Ben finds him in a psychiatric hospital where he has been since he disappeared but, he is changed and is not making sense. A team of selected scientists and other learned folks have been assembled to scale this seemingly unscalable obstacle.Cuando lees Dagón de adolescente su desarrollo y final te estremecen, cuando vuelves años después el cuento te produce ternura: qué hace ese narrador psicótico, acechado, según el, por criaturas anfibias que desafían nuestra comprensión, escribiendo cómo está siendo acosado por dichas abominaciones en vez de salir por patas. When Harold Tunmore is contacted by a shadowy organization to help investigate, he has no idea what he is getting into as he and his team set out for the mountain.

In Ascension, we have a group of soldiers and experts-a biologist, physicist, chemist, geologist, and anthropologist-exploring this mountain that literally popped out of thin air. It's so well-paced and beautifully written that it didn't relinquish its grip on me until the very last word.I suppose nowadays I'm always half expecting some sort of corporate or military representative to show up unexpectedly.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop