Fly Me Home

Fly Me Home

RRP: £7.99
Price: £3.995
£3.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The book itself was good but not great, in my opinion. After reading The Boy in the Tower I was a huge Polly fan (and still am!) but this book was incomparable. There were moments when I was very invested in the storyline but other times when I didn't feel like there was much to it. Overall, it was an enjoyable read but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to others. The Boy in the Tower on the other hand... read it!! We chose this book for a Literary Leaf as it is a beautiful book which introduces the power of symbols to the children. The story is an emotional one and there are many opportunities for discussion which may lead onto deeper PSHCE sessions. Located just 30 minutes from Central Nairobi, Tatu City has two schools – Crawford International and Nova Pioneer – which educate more than 3,000 students daily, thousands of apartments and single-dwelling homes in Kijani Ridge, the city’s premier residential neighbourhood. Roast by Carnivore, a restaurant by Tamarind Group, the country’s leading hospitality operator, opened in November 2021 at the entrance to Tatu City.

I could not quite get my head round the other neighbour with a dog. On one hand he gives the impression he has a hoarding issue. On the other hand, he seems to offer hope and something magical like Skellig. Leelu has moved to grey, cold London from her warm home country, with her mum and brother, leaving a much-loved father behind. Struggling to adapt to the new environment, she starts to receive gifts in a tree near her new flat. She doesn't know where from, but it does seem that they possess special powers... Some excitement with Leelu's elder brother will keep KS3 readers interested and it makes the story relevant and accessible to a wider readership.This is a 15-session Literary Leaf for Fly Me Home by Polly Ho-Yen which covers all aspects of the content domains for Upper Key Stage 2. Children begin by forming plot predictions based on the front cover before looking at specific vocabulary in context. Alongside reading, children will begin to explain their impressions of characters based on their actions and the ways the author has used language to portray certain plot and character developments. Children will summarise sections of the story and complete an emotions graph for the main character, as well as comparing themes arising through the text as a whole. There will be rich opportunities for collaborative discussion and asking questions. Synopsis of Text: What I love about Polly's writing is that she never gives away all the details and makes the reader think for themselves. I'm constantly trying to figure out these details for myself. Where have they come from? Ok so it's one hour ahead of the UK, that could be... How old is Leelu? She's 5 years younger than Tiber so I'm guessing... It can be a little infuriating but equally it definitely adds a little something, something to the book. Interestingly, in one of the essays by Polly about why she wrote this book, she mentions that she never tells us where the family comes from so that the reader can bring their own experiences to the story. The greatest challenge any of us will ever face is how to regain the ability to reach for joy after the loss of a loved one. Especially, when that loss is abrupt and occurs at an age before one has developed the capacities to manage it. That is the over-arching and powerful theme that "Fly Away Home" manages to evoke so beautifully. Fly Me Home is an incredibly moving portrait of one family’s struggle to adjust to life in a new country. Full of friendship, family and magic, this stunning novel by Polly Ho-Yen, author of Boy in the Tower (shortlisted for the Waterstones Children's Book Prize and the Blue Peter Book Award) and Where Monsters Lie, is a must-read for 9-12 readers. And so it proved to be. But it was so much more than that. Contemporary But with an air of magic or mystery that softened Leelus experiences for the younger reader. When the hard realities underlying the family's plight needed to be explained it was done gently but clearly.

Maybe it’s all part of growing up. Leelu’s magic. There were so many things that were unspoken and that I I adored 'Boy in Tower', more of a sci-fi for a slightly younger audience. Ho-Yen is adept at choosing protagonists who are outsiders or with issues that make them stand out, connecting with readers. A story of learning to fit in, of family, Leelu's story is sad and uplifting, and a rather unusual look at immigration from the point of view of a young girl living through it. Not knowing why they had to leave and why her father was left behind, I looked hard for clues in the story. The problems they face settling into a new country is not dissimilar to refugee stories like The Fox Girl and the White Gazelle. The activities her mother and brother get up to make me uneasy. However, the girl she befriends from next door is like a ray of sunshine into the rest of the dark and sinister book.This book starts with Leelu having to leave her father behind, while she journeys to foreign lands with her mother and brother. It doesn't explain why he cannot come with them. I found this incredibly distracting. I was unable to get into the story as a result of this. But Leelu is not alone; someone is leaving her gifts outside her house – wonders which give her curious magical powers.

But she is not alone… Someone has started leaving strange gifts for Leelu outside her house and they appear to give her magical powers. As she struggles through school life, making friends, fitting in and being accepted in a new country, these ‘wonders’ may just give her the power she needs to ‘find her way ‘home’. It's difficult to pin-point which of the masterfully developed elements of filmmaking that make this movie such a joy to watch again and again. But, surely, it all comes down to the great story-telling ability of Mr. Carol Ballard. Everything is harnessed to tell the story (a basic element of drama surprisingly ignored these days in Hollywood) of a girl who loses her mother at a critical point in her life, and has to find a way to the rest of her life, while reeling from the trauma and uncertain of how to survive her grief.

Mr Mallick 'Fly Me Home' Chapter 16

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop