Meanwhile, Elsewhere: Science Fiction and Fantasy from Transgender Writers

Meanwhile, Elsewhere: Science Fiction and Fantasy from Transgender Writers

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Casey Plett: In summer 2014, Topside Press decided to do a speculative fiction anthology. I was in New York City at the time, but I was teaching in the day and getting drunk till four at night and literally my one memory of this being in the works is when Cat told me of the plan at the bar. Months later, the press, who had just published my own book of short stories, asked me to come on board as co-editor. This is all a way of saying Cat will probably be of more help on this answer here. In the terrible stories where trans people are awful monsters (in spec fic and elsewhere), none of that complexity happens. As we continue to explore the usage of “elsewhere” and “meanwhile”, let’s take a look at some more examples of how these words can be used in sentences. Examples Of Using “Elsewhere” In A Sentence Like all anthologies there were a couple of stories that brought neither highs nor lows and a bunch I absolutely loved, and that had me scrambling to buy more more more from their authors. With Meanwhile, Elsewhere being such a wonderfully chunky publication (twenty-five tales) there’s something for everybody. If cis women can write country songs about shooting their abusive ex-boyfriends … we can probably have a book where zombie transsexuals are out for blood.” — Casey Plett

I lived with this book, carried it with me like a precious tome, whipping it out to evangelically read passages to various companions who shared my time while I dove in the worlds of these exciting new writers. Trish Salah (Maybe. I didn't love "It Can Grow!" but I feel like the author would be better at a longer format. I wasn't sure what Duke's role in the story was or what was going on with the amoeba) When used as a noun: In some cases, “elsewhere” can be used as a noun to refer to a place other than the current one. For example, “I’m tired of living here. I need to find an elsewhere.” Gamers" by Imogen Binnie, about a trans woman gamer, touching on male-coded gamer identity and a trans reading of the Ocarina of Time--really excellent tight POV and pacing, the ending kind of startled me by how perfect it was (warning for gore).An enigmatic destiny: two people come together on a bridge, wanting... to be seen? Or unseen? Or never seen at all? As you can see from these examples, the appropriate word choice depends on the specific context in which it is being used. Understanding the nuances of each word can help you make the right choice and convey your intended meaning clearly and effectively. Exceptions To The Rules Introduction This does not mean all other stories were bad. These ones in particular, though, were the ones that led me to seek out the authors online and find out if they have written any books I could add to my list. I liked 6 out of 25 stories here. I truly loved them. So either this book wasn’t for me, regardless of how excited I was to read it, or the selection of stories is pretty bad. It’s not that the stories didn’t speak to me because I’m not transgender. The stories that didn’t speak to me weren’t actually telling a story with any sense of plot structure or character development. It just a lot of exposition because they are trying to build a new world without enough time to actually do it properly. Dystopia is a common theme in these stories, but in some cases the line between dystopia and utopia isn’t at all clear (like in Sybil Lamb’s “Cybervania”). Why do you think that is?

Anyway, out of 25 stories there were maybe two I thought were weak and a couple more that I gave up on because they were long or hard to follow (sorry, I don't text, I don't know what those symbols even mean) but for an anthology of what seems to be fairly newish authors that is a very strong showing. meanwhile, nearby…’ is a tool for teachers to bring more local history into the classroom, by getting pupils to research (and then discuss in class) local history that was happening at the same time as the topics that they are studying in their taught curriculum. Yes, you are smart and funny and weird and have great music chops, but so do most of my other half dozen lovers between Cybertopia and Cyberopolis.Just like The Collection, Meanwhile, Elsewhere is very hit or miss. Some of the stories are fantastic, some are underwhelming, some are just weird. I still really enjoyed so many of the stories, and I think fans of short stories, sci fi/fantasy, or trans lit will find lots for them. At the same time, I wanted not just to emulate but also to reclaim feminist SF/F traditions that often have been, as with Joanna Russ, quite hostile to trans people. To offer us something better. Also, trans people all seem to be huge nerds, so I was like, maybe this will be popular. Maybe we will even make some money for a change. After exploring the differences between elsewhere and meanwhile, it is clear that these two words have distinct meanings and should not be used interchangeably. Elsewhere refers to a different place or location, while meanwhile refers to a period of time. It is important to understand the nuances of these words to avoid confusion and miscommunication in both written and spoken language. Key Takeaways The History Department are delighted to launch the additional resource, ‘Meanwhile, elsewhere…’ for our KS3 students to develop their interest and love of History. p.52Between these two quotes, I think you'll catch the flavor of this story about an enigmatic alien visitor.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop