Elsewhere: 'Wonderful writing' Sarah Hall

Elsewhere: 'Wonderful writing' Sarah Hall

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I don’t know if that’s the best approach. But it’s certainly my approach. And I’m also not trying to tell the readers how to feel.” I rarely read short stories and was so thrilled for this book. Elsewhere is a collection of short stories covering various topics and eras. There are nine stories in this book, and the stories have in common that the protagonist is of Chinese origin. Elsewhere is a collection of depth and dimension. The spare, limpid prose style in many of the stories allows for moments of strong emotional impact, such as the stunning second story, Shooting an Elephant, which charts the listless, lonely months of a newly married Chinese woman, Shanshan, who is trying to put down roots in Dublin with her Irish husband. After a trauma on their honeymoon in Burma, there is a disconnect in the marriage: “They were like two comets chasing each other in circles, sometimes getting closer, yet always light years apart.” There is a palpable sense of loss and longing as Shanshan moves around the north inner city, pining for her mother, pining for home. She strikes up a friendship of sorts with a shop assistant who has a Chinese tattoo. The guy thinks it means “home” but an errant dot changes the meaning to “grave”. Yan Ge was born and raised in Sichuan, a province in China known for its rich history and vibrant culture. From a young age, she showed a keen interest in literature and began writing in Chinese. Over time, her passion for storytelling grew, and she became a prolific writer in her native language.

For people unfamiliar with contemporary Chinese history and culture, Yan’s prose might seem coded. Alluding to key dates and historical events that changed ordinary lives forever. Precise, surreal and emotionally devastating —the stories in Elsewhere leap between continents and centuries with a fierceness and confidence that makes their abiding loneliness and sense of longing all the more affecting." —Lucy Caldwell, author of These DaysThis collection of stories is so assured, and delivered with such aplomb, that it’s hard to believe it’s a debut — and, as it turns out, that’s because it isn’t. Although Elsewhereis Yan Ge’s first book written in English, she is a seasoned novelist in China, where she has been publishing fiction for more than twenty years. Having already made a name for herself in Chinese, the prodigiously talented Yan Ge now reveals an equally compelling voice in English. The denizens of Elsewhere are misfits and dropouts, perpetually at odds with their surroundings in a world that refuses to accommodate them. A highly accomplished collection that is equal parts shimmering wit and startling emotional depth." —Jeremy Tiang, author of State of Emergency He was the only non-American in this circle [of] a reading/writing group – a bunch of expats, and me and some other locals,” she recalls. “And he really stood out because he looked so miserable! And that was really good for me – the others were too happy, I couldn’t emotionally engage with them.”

When Yan Ge is not teasing with self-insertion, she recreates encounters between ancient Chinese intellectuals with a much more eerie and eccentric language to those who don’t read Chinese or know the context of traditional formal talk. Her translation is mostly literal, once again capturing the essence of Chinese hyperbole and metaphors without tweaking them for the comfort and convenience of English speaker readers. Yan Ge shows her range in this collection of historical reimaginations, surreal horrors, and modern-day obsession stories. You will find some bits of the book hard to read. Whether it’s the graphic description of gore and cruelty, or the matter-of-fact display of racially charged comments, you will wince. We walked to the Little House. The buses hadn’t been running since the twelfth and there were no taxis. Small Bamboo had smoked three cigarettes by the time he finally remembered to offer me one. I told him I didn’t smoke. In Shooting an Elephant, a woman named Shanshan moves to Ireland with her boyfriend, who promises the world (or at least Dublin) but gives so little. He’s reporting on a court case of an ex-IRA commander, which swallows up all his time and attention. She lives in their damp cottage, wondering when life will start all the while she’s haunted about a miscarriage on their honeymoon. A thought-provoking read on its own merit, the book takes on added significance given that it is an early work by Yan, whose talent is clear, raw and electrifying."Elsewhere” is a captivating collection of stories that pushes the boundaries of storytelling. Yan Ge’s ability to seamlessly navigate different time periods, locations, and cultural contexts is evident throughout the book. With its sharp wit, emotional depth, and thought-provoking themes, “Elsewhere” is an impressive debut that establishes Yan Ge as a talented and versatile writer. Critical Analysis In twenty years, Yan Ge has authored thirteen books written in Chinese, working across an impressive range of genres and subjects. Now, Yan Ge transposes her dynamic storytelling onto another linguistic landscape. The result is a collection humming with her trademark wit and style—and with the electricity of a seasoned artist flexing her virtuosity with a new medium. I wanted to like this book, but it didn't work for me. I don't know whom to recommend this book, but if it is on your list, please read it. It might be a gem for you. The first story, "A Little House", is about a group of Chinese 20 somethings (probably?), who interact and live in the aftermath of the 2008 earthquake in China. Not super clear what happened, or what the point of the story is. A heady mix of despondence (from the narrator) and blasé attitude (from many of her friends). A story, perhaps, of what modern 20-somethings in China think and feel, and how absolutely the same it is as anywhere else in the world. Small Bamboo sat down in the armchair. “Bloody hell,” he said, slapping his thigh. “This is a palace.” Young Li and Six Times walked in, carrying a square table. They put it down and flipped up four curved extensions. An enormous round table emerged.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop