The Couple at No 9: ‘Spine-chilling’ - SUNDAY TIMES

The Couple at No 9: ‘Spine-chilling’ - SUNDAY TIMES

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

When Saffy and Tom move to 9 Skelton Place, they're excited about the possibilities. The property once belonged to Saffy's Grandmother and it will take a little work to get the place just how they want it, but with their first baby on the way, they're willing to take on the project. I loved this book! I don’t give five stars unless a book has absolutely blown me away and this one did just that. Let me start by saying this, The Couple at No.9 is everything you want in a thriller. Slow building tension with a clever, unforgettable plot.

I am extremely pained to say that even though I wished to give this a 4.5-star rating, I just couldn't. And I will explain why in a few paragraphs later. I loved this slow burn 🔥 … creepy vibe mystery..it was sooo TWISTED!!! The further we get into the story.. the more twisted it got! 😳 Rose's Alzheimer's means her memory is increasingly confused. She can't help the police - but it is clear she remembers something.Claire Douglas, the author of “ Then She Vanishes”, “ The Sisters” and “ Local Girl Missing” reunites her readers with the nail-biting, suspense-fueled plots and relatable characters only Douglas can provide. As Saffy and Lorna, a mother-daughter duo of broken promises, lies and secrets, come together to try and solve the family mystery, it was easy to root for the pair and to empathize with them. Forensics indicate the bodies have been buried at least 30 years. Nothing Saffy need worry herself over. Until the police launch a murder investigation and ask to speak to the cottage's former owner - her grandmother, Rose.

Twisty, nail-biting, and utterly absorbing, you won't be able to put The Couple at No. 9 down'LOUISE O'NEILL The story is told in the past and the present through many different POVs, but Rose’s perspective in the past was the most interesting to me. I thought she was strong and interesting. I liked Saffy a lot, and I couldn’t wait to see how Theo’s storyline tied into the rest of them. These were all very well-rounded characters that grew throughout the storyline. Some characters that I wasn’t the biggest fan of at the beginning became my favorites at the end, which is certainly a sign of excellent character development. Rose might have lived there at the time, but she has Dementia, and her memories might not be the best to go by...…Theo was also likable character and I wish he and his wife have their own book ( I’m so sure there was enough material for that) but his character was crucial for bringing out one of the surprising revelations. The story, told at an excellent pace, uncovers an abundance of hidden secrets and dark obsessions. There is no shortage of characters that are well drawn and relevant to the story and the suspense is very good as we enter the mystery of whodunit and why?

I had no idea who the two bodies were, my super detective skills failed me terribly, Claire Douglas is so good at not giving anything away before the time is right. All I can say is that reading this novel you will not know anything, and I am convinced that there is no fortuneteller able to predict the truth of the matter in the heart. This is not an easy riddle, but there is a whole story about the past of these women who were peeled like layers of an onion. So many questions were raised and so many of those answers gave the story an unexpected twist. Devotees of domestic noir will love the multiple perspectives and shifts in time that Claire Douglas uses to complicate her nervy narrative The Times Crime Club Newsletter

Skelton Place becomes a crime scene; a very unpleasant occurrence for the young couple just looking to nest. Devotees of domestic noir will love the multiple perspectives and shifts in time that Claire Douglas uses to complicate her nervy narrative * The Times Crime Club Newsletter * I found the characters to be really realistic and their relationships showed how complex family bonds can be. There were quite a few characters that left me wondering how they could all be involved. Claire Douglas cleverly entwined the different stories whilst also keeping the reader guessing to the end. I couldn't think of anything else whilst reading this. The plot was so well crafted, the characters so realistic' 5***** READER REVIEW

As part of their investigation, the police ask to speak with the home's former owner, Saffy's Grandmother, Rose. Unfortunately, Rose is currently suffering from fairly advanced dementia. When pregnant Saffron Cutler moves into 9 Skelton Place with boyfriend Tom and sets about renovations, the last thing she expects is builders uncovering human remains. The remains of two bodies, in fact. Skelton Place was an inheritance to Saffy. Saffy and her Mother knew nothing of this cottage until Rose, Saffys grandmother was moved into a home. She now has Alzheimer’s so she’s in and out of reality on her remembering things. Saffy adores her Grandmother.

Wordle Helper

Book Genre: Adult, Contemporary, Crime, Fiction, Mystery, Mystery Thriller, Psychological Thriller, Suspense, Thriller Forensics indicate the bodies have been buried at least thirty years. Nothing Saffy need worry herself over. Until the police launch a murder investigation and ask to speak to the cottage's former owner - her grandmother, Rose. I sensed a lot of apprehension throughout most of the novel, and it wasn't just the pressure of the investigation that made emotions run high. It was also Claire's use of family that made it all so well crafted. I loved the pace of this book. Whilst it was far from slow, the author takes the time to drip feed us clues and information. The book was told from different perspectives and timelines but it managed not to be too confusing.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop